|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapters 1-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Leeming say the Chinese describe the flood?
(a) As a way to help cultivate the earth.
(b) As an attempt to avert a war against the gods.
(c) As a way to purge a preliminary form of humanity.
(d) As a punishment for sins against the gods.
2. What opposition does Leeming say King Arthur faced in assuming his quest?
(a) His knights seduce his wife.
(b) Opponents believed he was not fit to reign.
(c) His subjects rebel.
(d) His knights were not worthy.
3. What do the various versions of the Egyptian creation myth Leeming cites revolve around?
(a) The different explanations for consciousness.
(b) The different names for the god.
(c) The different justifications for divine kings' rule.
(d) The competing theories for creation.
4. What does Leeming say is important about dying gods?
(a) Dying gods give men reasons to go to war.
(b) Dying gods protect humans from their feelings about death.
(c) Dying gods let cultures experience death and resurrection.
(d) Dying gods explain the seasons.
5. When was the story of Gilgamesh likely composed?
(a) 1,500 BCE.
(b) 900 CE.
(c) 2000 BCE.
(d) 1,000 BCE.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say the hero does with the things the hero attains in heroic feats?
2. What does Leeming say gods are fighting for in the Egyptian pantheon?
3. What reconciliation does Leeming say the Greeks' creation myths described?
4. What does Leeming say heroes like Karna and Buddha have because of their miraculous births?
5. What does Leeming say had to happen before the Olympian gods could reign in the Greek pantheon?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)