|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapters 1-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leeming say happened to the figure of the Great Mother over time?
(a) It acquired new faces.
(b) It lingered at the periphery of industrial culture.
(c) It lost significance.
(d) It became merely decorative.
2. What is a teleological reason for myth?
(a) To understand the origins of existence.
(b) To understand the nature of language.
(c) To compensate for the loss of instinct.
(d) To understand the cause and purpose of existence.
3. To what does Leeming say the oldest myth refers?
(a) Caves where men are reunited with the earth.
(b) Primeval gathering places or mounds that become fused with the sun.
(c) Plains where men sow seeds that unite earth and water.
(d) Oceans where life first developed.
4. What problem or question does Leeming say cultures were addressing in cosmogonies?
(a) The question of how man rose to the summit of power over nature.
(b) The question of why men are stronger than women are.
(c) The question of how life forms evolved and differentiated.
(d) The question of birth from nothing.
5. Who does Leeming say is the archetypal helper god in the Greco-Roman Pantheon?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say was the primary difference between the Greek pantheon and the Roman pantheon?
2. From where does Leeming take the term "monomyth?"
3. What does Leeming say the flood was for in Mayan culture?
4. During whose reign was the first creation myth recorded, according to Leeming?
5. What does Leeming say urged the Buddha into action?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)