|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leeming say is important about dying gods?
(a) Dying gods explain the seasons.
(b) Dying gods give men reasons to go to war.
(c) Dying gods protect humans from their feelings about death.
(d) Dying gods let cultures experience death and resurrection.
2. What reconciliation does Leeming say the Greeks' creation myths described?
(a) The reconciliation between warring brothers.
(b) The reconciliation between warring fathers and sons.
(c) The reconciliation between ancient and modern ideas.
(d) The reconciliation between male and female principles.
3. What does Leeming say about cosmogonies?
(a) That they are typically female.
(b) That they are typically allegorical.
(c) That they are typically moral.
(d) That they are typically linear narratives.
4. How does Leeming describe the Boshongo culture?
(a) As matriarchal.
(b) As communal.
(c) As patrilineal.
(d) As warlike.
5. Whose child is Horus, in the Egyptian pantheon?
(a) Isis and Amun.
(b) Isis and Geb.
(c) Isis and Osiris.
(d) Anubis and Isis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say happened to the figure of the Great Mother over time?
2. What does Leeming say the flood was for in Mayan culture?
3. What does Leeming say had to happen before the Olympian gods could reign in the Greek pantheon?
4. When were creation myths repeated in the culture that created the oldest myth Leeming cites?
5. What does Leeming say Horus represents, in the Egyptian pantheon?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)