|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is eschatology?
(a) The study of the end of time.
(b) The study of Supreme Beings.
(c) The study of prophecies.
(d) The study of fears.
2. What psychological experience does Leeming say is central to cosmogonies?
(a) The rise of consciousness from unconsciousness.
(b) The rise of industry from crafts.
(c) The rise of nationalism from tribalism.
(d) The rise of technology.
3. How does Leeming describe the mythic concern with creation?
(a) As a metaphor for birth.
(b) As a metaphor for maturity.
(c) As a metaphor for storytelling.
(d) As a metaphor for history.
4. What does Leeming say was the primary difference between the Greek pantheon and the Roman pantheon?
(a) The Romans placed more value on the gods as personifications of abstractions.
(b) The Romans used the Greek pantheon to justify their wars.
(c) The Romans placed more value on the practical results of myths.
(d) The Romans became more philosophical and contemplative about myths.
5. What evidence does Leeming cite to argue for a single matriarch at the beginning of the Greek pantheon?
(a) Gaia killed her husbands.
(b) Gaia devoured her offspring.
(c) Gaia created her own mate.
(d) Gaia fought to enthrone each of her husbands.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Leeming say the older Genesis text was likely composed?
2. How does Leeming describe the Boshongo culture?
3. What problem or question does Leeming say cultures were addressing in cosmogonies?
4. In Leeming's account, how did the Hopi create their creation myth?
5. What does Leeming say was the central organizing principle of the Christian Creation myth?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)