|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leeming say had to happen before the Olympian gods could reign in the Greek pantheon?
(a) Two dynasties of gods had to be overthrown.
(b) The Olympian gods had to create humans.
(c) Humans had to offer their worship.
(d) The flood.
2. What is cosmogony?
(a) Myth of the end of time.
(b) Myth of beautification.
(c) Myth of the beginning of humanity.
(d) Myth of creation.
3. What is an ontological reason for myth?
(a) To beautify existence.
(b) To understand the goal of existence.
(c) To understand existence.
(d) To compensate for the loss of instinct.
4. Where does Leeming say the Greek name Zeus comes from?
(a) The Sanskrit for light or day.
(b) The Sumerian for death.
(c) The Persian for power.
(d) The Egyptian for thunder.
5. To whom does Leeming say the Egyptian god Isis corresponds in the Greek pantheon?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Leeming describe the trickster gods?
2. When was the New Testament book of Revelation likely composed?
3. What creation myth does Leeming say modern people favor?
4. To what does Leeming say the oldest myth refers?
5. How does Leeming say the Zeus and Hera represented humanity in Greek culture?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)