|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What evidence does Leeming cite to argue for a single matriarch at the beginning of the Greek pantheon?
(a) Gaia devoured her offspring.
(b) Gaia created her own mate.
(c) Gaia killed her husbands.
(d) Gaia fought to enthrone each of her husbands.
2. Who is Frigg, in the Norse pantheon?
(a) The goddess of cultivation.
(b) The earth mother.
(c) The goddess of the hunt.
(d) Odin's wife.
3. What does Leeming say Horus represents, in the Egyptian pantheon?
(a) The playful nature of fate.
(b) The rage of war.
(c) The rebirth of the earth after winter.
(d) The spiritual force governing the Pharaoh.
4. What is an ontological reason for myth?
(a) To beautify existence.
(b) To understand existence.
(c) To compensate for the loss of instinct.
(d) To understand the goal of existence.
5. When were creation myths repeated in the culture that created the oldest myth Leeming cites?
(a) During wars.
(b) During weddings and births.
(c) During rites of passage.
(d) During coronations and funerals.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Leeming describe cosmogonies?
2. What does Leeming say myths describe with regard to individuals relating to the Supreme Being?
3. Which narrative is not an aspect of cosmogony?
4. What does Leeming say is consistent from one set of myths to another?
5. Who does Leeming say is the main god in the Norse pantheon?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)