|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Greeks explain the presence of winter?
(a) Zeus bans fertility.
(b) Demeter mourns for her daughter.
(c) Hades conquers earth.
(d) Hera goes away on a trip.
2. Why does Leeming say cultures give human form to Supreme Beings?
(a) Because humans tend to see their virtues as outlasting them.
(b) Because they cannot express the sublimity of existence without giving it a human face.
(c) Because they do not understand anything beyond human limitations.
(d) Because a Supreme Being protects them from the night.
3. What evidence does Leeming cite that suggests the presence of whites in Africa?
(a) Bumba is white.
(b) Bumba subjugates other tribes.
(c) Bumba speaks a foreign language.
(d) Bumba has new ways of doing things.
4. How does Leeming say earth religions still worship the Great Mother?
(a) In the seasons.
(b) In modern agriculture.
(c) In the constellations.
(d) In the form of nature.
5. What is the creation myth called in Mesopotamia?
(b) Enuma Elish.
(c) Re or Atun.
(d) The Gaia hypothesis.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Leeming say the Egyptian god Isis corresponds in the Greek pantheon?
2. Whose child is Horus, in the Egyptian pantheon?
3. What other divine figure does Leeming say the main Norse god resembles?
4. For what does Leeming say the struggle among gods in the Egyptian pantheon is a metaphor?
5. How does Leeming say the Chinese describe the flood?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)