|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What evidence does Leeming cite to argue for a single matriarch at the beginning of the Greek pantheon?
(a) Gaia killed her husbands.
(b) Gaia fought to enthrone each of her husbands.
(c) Gaia devoured her offspring.
(d) Gaia created her own mate.
2. What does Leeming say the Great Mother personifies?
(b) The pains of childbirth.
(c) The process of being born.
(d) The planet earth.
3. Which narrative is not an aspect of cosmogony?
(a) How the universe was developed.
(b) Explanation of natural phenomena.
(c) The creation of humankind.
(d) The fall from the state of perfection or grace.
4. What does Leeming say the Hebrew creation myth was concerned with?
(a) The possibility of justice in dealings with people.
(b) The morality of human beings.
(c) The role of humanity in the universe.
(d) The indifference of the creator to his creation.
5. What does Leeming say Isis is the goddess of?
(a) The earth and moon.
(d) The hearth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which topic does not fall under cosmology?
2. Who was the oldest divine being in the Greek pantheon?
3. Why does Leeming say cultures give human form to Supreme Beings?
4. What does Leeming say gods are fighting for in the Egyptian pantheon?
5. What does Leeming say was the central organizing principle of the Christian Creation myth?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)