|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a teleological reason for myth?
(a) To understand the origins of existence.
(b) To understand the nature of language.
(c) To compensate for the loss of instinct.
(d) To understand the cause and purpose of existence.
2. What other divine figure does Leeming say the main Norse god resembles?
3. What do the various versions of the Egyptian creation myth Leeming cites revolve around?
(a) The different explanations for consciousness.
(b) The different justifications for divine kings' rule.
(c) The different names for the god.
(d) The competing theories for creation.
4. Why does Leeming say cultures give human form to Supreme Beings?
(a) Because humans tend to see their virtues as outlasting them.
(b) Because they cannot express the sublimity of existence without giving it a human face.
(c) Because they do not understand anything beyond human limitations.
(d) Because a Supreme Being protects them from the night.
5. When was the New Testament book of Revelation likely composed?
(a) 95 CE.
(b) 110 CE.
(c) 51 CE.
(d) 33 BCE.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say the Indian creation myths were concerned with?
2. What does Leeming say ancient cultures realized through cosmogonies?
3. Where does Leeming say the Greek name Zeus comes from?
4. What does Leeming say the Great Mother represents?
5. How does Leeming say the Supreme Being is frequently characterized?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)