|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Leeming say the Supreme Being is frequently characterized?
(a) As the sun.
(b) As a thunderbolt.
(c) As the earth.
(d) As a snake.
2. What does Leeming say is important about dying gods?
(a) Dying gods protect humans from their feelings about death.
(b) Dying gods give men reasons to go to war.
(c) Dying gods let cultures experience death and resurrection.
(d) Dying gods explain the seasons.
3. For what does Leeming say the struggle among gods in the Egyptian pantheon is a metaphor?
(a) The invasion of Ethiopians in 2,200 BCE.
(b) Historical political and religious conflicts in 4,000 BCE.
(c) The expansion of trade in the Mediterranean.
(d) The human struggle against evil.
4. When were the Coffin Texts made?
(a) 3000-2134 BCE.
(b) 2134-1660 BCE.
(c) 2134 BCE.
(d) 2134-1200 BCE.
5. Who was the sun god of Heliopolis?
(c) Re or Atun.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Leeming say the Egyptian god Isis corresponds in the Greek pantheon?
2. Where does Leeming say the Greek name Zeus comes from?
3. What does Leeming say the gods function as in myth?
4. What reconciliation does Leeming say the Greeks' creation myths described?
5. Who does Leeming say is the main god in the Norse pantheon?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)