|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapters 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What psychological experience does Leeming say is central to cosmogonies?
(a) The rise of nationalism from tribalism.
(b) The rise of technology.
(c) The rise of industry from crafts.
(d) The rise of consciousness from unconsciousness.
2. To what does Leeming say the oldest myth refers?
(a) Caves where men are reunited with the earth.
(b) Oceans where life first developed.
(c) Plains where men sow seeds that unite earth and water.
(d) Primeval gathering places or mounds that become fused with the sun.
3. The first recorded creation myth was part myth and part what else?
(a) Wedding ode.
(b) Rite of passage.
(c) Celebration of the high Marduk.
(d) Funeral dirge.
4. What does Leeming say is consistent from one set of myths to another?
(a) Transcendent truths.
(b) Heroes and heroines.
(c) Universal human concerns.
(d) Monsters and angels.
5. In Leeming's account, how did the Hopi create their creation myth?
(a) Through art.
(b) Through spreading their culture.
(c) Through initiating their children.
(d) Through song.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say myths describe with regard to individuals relating to the Supreme Being?
2. What does Leeming say suggests a desire to escape from earthly existence?
3. How does Leeming say the Chinese describe the flood?
4. Who was the sun god of Heliopolis?
5. What does Leeming say the Hebrew creation myth was concerned with?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)