|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapters 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the end goal of human development in Hopi myth, in Leeming's account?
(a) Manifesting the divinity on earth.
(b) Growing into the light of the Sun God's power.
(c) Winning glory for their god.
(d) Converting non-believers to the Hopi perspective.
2. When were creation myths repeated in the culture that created the oldest myth Leeming cites?
(a) During rites of passage.
(b) During weddings and births.
(c) During coronations and funerals.
(d) During wars.
3. When does Leeming say the older Genesis text was likely composed?
(a) 500 BCE.
(b) 110 CE.
(c) 950 BCE.
(d) 800 BCE.
4. What problem or question does Leeming say cultures were addressing in cosmogonies?
(a) The question of why men are stronger than women are.
(b) The question of how man rose to the summit of power over nature.
(c) The question of how life forms evolved and differentiated.
(d) The question of birth from nothing.
5. What psychological experience does Leeming say is central to cosmogonies?
(a) The rise of technology.
(b) The rise of nationalism from tribalism.
(c) The rise of industry from crafts.
(d) The rise of consciousness from unconsciousness.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Leeming define cosmology?
2. What does Leeming say the flood represents as a metaphor?
3. When were the Coffin Texts made?
4. What does Leeming say myths describe with regard to individuals relating to the Supreme Being?
5. What does Leeming say was the central organizing principle of the Christian Creation myth?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)