|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapters 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leeming say the flood was for in Mayan culture?
(a) As a punishment for sins against the gods.
(b) Destroying an experimental form of humankind.
(c) As a way to help cultivate the earth.
(d) As an attempt to avert a war against the gods.
2. What reconciliation does Leeming say the Greeks' creation myths described?
(a) The reconciliation between warring brothers.
(b) The reconciliation between ancient and modern ideas.
(c) The reconciliation between male and female principles.
(d) The reconciliation between warring fathers and sons.
3. How does Leeming define cosmic myth?
(a) Myths that explain the location of different stars.
(b) Myths that define the constellations.
(c) Myths that define the history of the earth.
(d) Myths that define the order of the world.
4. What does Leeming say is consistent from one set of myths to another?
(a) Universal human concerns.
(b) Monsters and angels.
(c) Heroes and heroines.
(d) Transcendent truths.
5. What psychological experience does Leeming say is central to cosmogonies?
(a) The rise of consciousness from unconsciousness.
(b) The rise of technology.
(c) The rise of nationalism from tribalism.
(d) The rise of industry from crafts.
Short Answer Questions
1. When were the Coffin Texts made?
2. When was the Book of the Dead made?
3. How does Leeming define cosmology?
4. What do the various versions of the Egyptian creation myth Leeming cites revolve around?
5. During whose reign was the first creation myth recorded, according to Leeming?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)