|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapters 1-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Leeming say the gods are metaphors?
(a) Elements of society, as well as human emotions.
(b) The collective unconscious.
(c) Timeless laws of the universe.
(d) Earth, wind, water and fire.
2. Who does Leeming say Theseus' parents were?
(a) A supernatural spirit and a mortal woman.
(b) A river nymph and a god.
(c) A goddess and a hunter.
(d) A wood nymph and a mortal woman.
3. What psychological experience does Leeming say is central to cosmogonies?
(a) The rise of industry from crafts.
(b) The rise of nationalism from tribalism.
(c) The rise of consciousness from unconsciousness.
(d) The rise of technology.
4. What does Leeming say is important about dying gods?
(a) Dying gods explain the seasons.
(b) Dying gods give men reasons to go to war.
(c) Dying gods protect humans from their feelings about death.
(d) Dying gods let cultures experience death and resurrection.
5. What does Leeming say the Roman pantheon is rife with?
(a) Political metaphor.
(b) Legalistic language.
(c) Prophecy of Christ.
(d) Anxiety about the Greeks' supremacy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose advice did the Trojans ignore when they decided to accept the Greeks' wooden horse?
2. What does Leeming say the Supreme Being represents?
3. What does Leeming say the Tree of Knowledge in the Hebraic myth foreshadows?
4. How did King Arthur assume the throne?
5. What does Leeming say the story of the Pleiades typically illustrates?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)