|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapters 1-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Leeming say the oldest myth refers?
(a) Caves where men are reunited with the earth.
(b) Oceans where life first developed.
(c) Primeval gathering places or mounds that become fused with the sun.
(d) Plains where men sow seeds that unite earth and water.
2. Why does Leeming say trees are often sacred symbols?
(a) Because the tree can provide for so many needs.
(b) Because the sacred tree's roots reach to the center of the earth.
(c) Because the tree loses its leaves but grows them back.
(d) Because the tree is the heart of so many of men's tools.
3. How did King Arthur assume the throne?
(a) He worked as a woman for 12 years.
(b) He killed his father and married his mother.
(c) He pulled the sword from the stone.
(d) He killed the usurper who had taken his father's life.
4. What element does Leeming say the Water Jar Boy myth contains?
(a) Redemption by penance.
(b) Death by water.
(c) Creation from nothing.
(d) The search for the father.
5. When was the New Testament book of Revelation likely composed?
(a) 110 CE.
(b) 33 BCE.
(c) 51 CE.
(d) 95 CE.
Short Answer Questions
1. When were the Coffin Texts made?
2. What does Leeming say was the central organizing principle of the Christian Creation myth?
3. What problem or question does Leeming say cultures were addressing in cosmogonies?
4. What does Leeming say myths describe with regard to individuals relating to the Supreme Being?
5. What does Leeming say the Bethel stone represents?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)