|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapters 1-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose behavior does Leeming say explains the behavior of the Olympian gods in the Greek pantheon?
(a) The Persians'.
(b) The Etruscans'.
(c) The Egyptians'.
(d) The Greek ruling class'.
2. What does Leeming say happened to the figure of the Great Mother over time?
(a) It became merely decorative.
(b) It lost significance.
(c) It lingered at the periphery of industrial culture.
(d) It acquired new faces.
3. What does Leeming say the flood represents as a metaphor?
(a) Extreme guilt washing away with forgiveness.
(b) The unconscious before experiencing rebirth.
(c) The cleansing effect of death on culture.
(d) The clean feeling after admitting wrong.
4. What does Leeming say gods are fighting for in the Egyptian pantheon?
(d) Worship from humans.
5. What does Leeming say was the primary difference between the Greek pantheon and the Roman pantheon?
(a) The Romans became more philosophical and contemplative about myths.
(b) The Romans placed more value on the gods as personifications of abstractions.
(c) The Romans placed more value on the practical results of myths.
(d) The Romans used the Greek pantheon to justify their wars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say about cosmogonies?
2. When was the Book of the Dead made?
3. Where does Leeming say heroes typically find their foes?
4. What do the various versions of the Egyptian creation myth Leeming cites revolve around?
5. How does Leeming define cosmic myth?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)