|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapters 1-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Leeming define gods?
(a) They are metaphors for human experiences.
(b) They are immortal beings who personify the transcendence of the laws of nature.
(c) They are manifestations of the collective unconscious.
(d) They are projections of human dreams into enduring characters.
2. What does Leeming say the Hebrew creation myth was concerned with?
(a) The morality of human beings.
(b) The role of humanity in the universe.
(c) The indifference of the creator to his creation.
(d) The possibility of justice in dealings with people.
3. How does Leeming say earth religions still worship the Great Mother?
(a) In the form of nature.
(b) In the constellations.
(c) In the seasons.
(d) In modern agriculture.
4. During whose reign was the first creation myth recorded, according to Leeming?
5. When were creation myths repeated in the culture that created the oldest myth Leeming cites?
(a) During coronations and funerals.
(b) During weddings and births.
(c) During wars.
(d) During rites of passage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What qualities does Leeming say Hercules shares with many heroes?
2. Who does Leeming say introduced monotheism to Egyptian culture?
3. What does Leeming say urged the Buddha into action?
4. When was the New Testament book of Revelation likely composed?
5. What does Leeming say suggests a desire to escape from earthly existence?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)