|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapters 1-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Leeming say the older Genesis text was likely composed?
(a) 950 BCE.
(b) 800 BCE.
(c) 500 BCE.
(d) 110 CE.
2. What does Leeming say the Hebrew creation myth was concerned with?
(a) The indifference of the creator to his creation.
(b) The role of humanity in the universe.
(c) The morality of human beings.
(d) The possibility of justice in dealings with people.
3. What is the creation myth called in Mesopotamia?
(b) The Gaia hypothesis.
(c) Enuma Elish.
(d) Re or Atun.
4. What reconciliation does Leeming say the Greeks' creation myths described?
(a) The reconciliation between warring fathers and sons.
(b) The reconciliation between male and female principles.
(c) The reconciliation between warring brothers.
(d) The reconciliation between ancient and modern ideas.
5. What does Leeming say ancient cultures realized through cosmogonies?
(a) That death is ubiquitous in life.
(b) That culture survives the deaths of its members.
(c) That the world's spirit pervades all forms.
(d) That the Great Mother makes all life possible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say gods are fighting for in the Egyptian pantheon?
2. What does Leeming say is similar between the myths of Hiawatha and the Buddha?
3. Why does Leeming say the hero sometimes refuses the quest?
4. What evidence does Leeming cite that suggests the presence of whites in Africa?
5. What is an ontological reason for myth?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)