|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapters 1-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leeming say is similar between the myths of Hiawatha and the Buddha?
(a) Both are related to divine knowledge.
(b) Both can be related to self-denial.
(c) Both conclude with an apotheosis.
(d) Both involve flowers.
2. How does Leeming say Buddha was conceived?
(a) He was conceived by the sky god.
(b) He was a normal human baby.
(c) He was conceived first as a snake.
(d) He created himself through his mother's dreams.
3. How does Leeming describe cosmogonies?
(a) As ritual.
(b) As nostalgic.
(c) As prophetic.
(d) As sacramental.
4. How does Leeming describe Antigone's quest?
(a) As a fight against patriarchal culture.
(b) As an attempt to express her human nature.
(c) As an attempt to repent parental sins.
(d) As a fulfillment of prophecy.
5. What does Leeming say the Great Mother represents?
(a) Craft and teaching.
(b) Creation and nourishment.
(d) Death and resurrection.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Oedipus' birth, what did the oracle predict Oedipus would do?
2. What forms does Leeming say the heroes' guides will take?
3. How does Leeming define cosmology?
4. From where does Leeming take the term "monomyth?"
5. What does Leeming say the Great Mother personifies?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)