|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapters 1-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Leeming say the Greek pantheon differs from other pantheons?
(a) The Greek gods were not always more powerful than humans.
(b) The Greek gods were imposed on cultures Greeks influenced.
(c) The Greek gods had a great number of human attributes.
(d) The Greek gods retained their local origins and cults.
2. How do the Greeks explain the presence of winter?
(a) Zeus bans fertility.
(b) Hera goes away on a trip.
(c) Demeter mourns for her daughter.
(d) Hades conquers earth.
3. During whose reign was the first creation myth recorded, according to Leeming?
4. The first recorded creation myth was part myth and part what else?
(a) Rite of passage.
(b) Wedding ode.
(c) Celebration of the high Marduk.
(d) Funeral dirge.
5. How does Leeming say the Zeus and Hera represented humanity in Greek culture?
(a) In a realistic yet skeptical portrait.
(b) In an idealized portrait of man and wife.
(c) In an essentializing portrait.
(d) In a caricature of male and female spirits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is cosmogony?
2. For what does Leeming say the gods are metaphors?
3. What does Leeming say gods are fighting for in the Egyptian pantheon?
4. How does Leeming say earth religions still worship the Great Mother?
5. How does Leeming describe the Boshongo culture?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)