|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapters 1-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leeming say cosmogonies represent?
(a) Scientific truths.
(b) Historical realities.
(c) Cultural truths.
(d) Future predictions.
2. What does Leeming say the flood was for in Mayan culture?
(a) As a way to help cultivate the earth.
(b) Destroying an experimental form of humankind.
(c) As an attempt to avert a war against the gods.
(d) As a punishment for sins against the gods.
3. To what does Leeming say the oldest myth refers?
(a) Oceans where life first developed.
(b) Plains where men sow seeds that unite earth and water.
(c) Caves where men are reunited with the earth.
(d) Primeval gathering places or mounds that become fused with the sun.
4. What evidence does Leeming cite to argue for a single matriarch at the beginning of the Greek pantheon?
(a) Gaia devoured her offspring.
(b) Gaia killed her husbands.
(c) Gaia fought to enthrone each of her husbands.
(d) Gaia created her own mate.
5. In Leeming's account, how did the Hopi create their creation myth?
(a) Through song.
(b) Through initiating their children.
(c) Through spreading their culture.
(d) Through art.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tempts Gilgamesh in the myth?
2. How old was Joan of Arc when she first heart supernatural voices?
3. What does Leeming say the hero attains in heroic feats?
4. Who does Leeming say Theseus' parents were?
5. Which topic does not fall under cosmology?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)