|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of business did Mrs. Doyle run?
2. How long was Paula engaged before her wedding day?
3. How does Paula describe alcohol during the abuse?
4. What did Paula call the other women with the same injuries as herself?
5. What behavior does Paula say got her the regular abuse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shocks Paula most of all about Mrs. Fleming's death?
2. How did Paula spend her wedding night?
3. How did Mrs. Doyle's grandchild die, and what did Paula think of this?
4. When did Charlo hit Paula for the first time?
5. What does Paula day dream about while being abused?
6. Why did Paula not leave Charlo before she did?
7. Who does Paula blame for the abuse she received from Charlo, and why?
8. What does Paula find depressing about the Christmas story?
9. What does Paula find funny about the death of her husband?
10. How did Paula fight back against Charlo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Charlo die, and why was this a symbolic piece to this story-line?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
How is this plot line presented, and why do you think the author chose to present his story in this way?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)