|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Paula get upset when she is paid late?
2. What does Paula admit to being addicted to?
3. Where do Paula's sisters find her?
4. How does Paula describe the atmosphere of St. Mary's?
5. What was strange about Paula when she met Charlo's parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paula say she likes most about herself even after her sad past?
2. How do Paula and her sisters respond to the news of Charlo's death?
3. How does Paula teach her daughter about sex, and why?
4. How did Charlo die?
5. Why is Paula happy that Nicola has no need to cling to memories?
6. How does Paula feel as she pours gin down her throat?
7. What did Paula like about Mrs. Spencer when they first met?
8. How does Paula talk herself out of leaving Charlo when she first realizes he is not a nice guy?
9. What rule does Paula make for herself for the sake of her children?
10. What does Paula say got her negative attention as a teenager?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security were two themes present in this novel. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. Cite examples from the book, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)