|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Paula learn to love while at St. Mary's?
2. What did Derek do to Paula on her first day of High School?
3. What made Paula the most envied girl at school?
4. Where did Paula throw her underpants when at Charlo's parent's house?
5. What do ten year old kids do when they like each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Paula learn about sex?
2. What attracted Paula to Charlo in the first place?
3. How does Paula first see the body of her dead husband?
4. Why has Paula not seen Charlo in a while when she learns of his death?
5. How does Paula talk herself out of leaving Charlo when she first realizes he is not a nice guy?
6. How do Paula and her sisters respond to the news of Charlo's death?
7. What about Charlo lingers in the house after his death?
8. How does Nicola respond to the news of her father's death?
9. Why is Paula happy that Nicola has no need to cling to memories?
10. Why does Carmel say she can never think kindly about her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is this plot line presented, and why do you think the author chose to present his story in this way?
Essay Topic 2
What was Mrs. Spencer's wedding gift to Paula, and what significance did this gift have on the plot?
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)