|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hortensia reveal became of her first pregnancy?
2. What did Marion’s teacher likely mean when she said that students need to learn “real” history?
3. Why does Hortensia regret ending her first pregnancy?
4. Why does Hortensia ultimately never confront Peter about the affair?
5. Why does fighting with Marion make Hortensia feel at home again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hortensia say she does not want to “absolve” Marion?
2. How does Peter feel about Hortensia’s career?
3. What does the photograph that covers the stain in Hortensia’s room symbolize?
4. How does Hortensia ultimately feel about marriage?
5. How does Marion feel about the torture schematics she finds at the library?
6. How does Chapter Sixteen show Hortensia develop?
7. What does Agnes reveal about the painting?
8. Why does Marion struggle to admit her feelings to Ludmilla?
9. Why might Aggie have said “There’s blood here, Marion” (169)?
10. Why is Marion surprised by Hortensia’s interaction with Innes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of “age” as it applies to the main characters and the storyline. Why do you think the author chose to focus on two elderly woman?
Essay Topic 2
How does the theme of “design” function in the novel? In what ways is it a focus of both Marion and Hortensia’s lives?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the novel Marion is undoubtedly racist, but by the end of the novel she admits to having a problem. How and why does Marion change? Do you think this change will last? Provide evidence from the text.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)