|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marion decide to do about the Von Struikers’ land claim?
2. What does Marion repeatedly insist to Hortensia?
3. What did Marion witness happen to Alberta?
4. What did Marion say when Agnes asked if she could finish her degree?
5. Who is Innes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Marion’s teacher “Queen Victoria” attempting to educate her students regarding?
2. How does architecture tie into Marion’s racism?
3. How does Peter feel about Hortensia’s career?
4. How do Hortensia and Marion’s perspectives on housekeepers differ?
5. What does Marion removing the stain from Hortensia’s wall symbolize?
6. Why does Marion struggle to admit her feelings to Ludmilla?
7. Why does Marion share the story about Alberta?
8. Why did Hortensia and Peter not have children?
9. How does Chapter Sixteen show Hortensia develop?
10. What motivates Hortensia to contact Esme?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What factors shape Hortensia’s very negative and mean attitude? What elements from her past? What elements from her present?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the Samsodien’s land claim against the Von Struikers. What is the history of this claim? What is the defense for both sides?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Hortensia’s perception of and struggles with the concept of motherhood. How does this compare to Marion’s struggle?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)