|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Peter and Hortensia stay in touch for many years?
2. How did Hortensia feel when she watched Peter with his mistress?
3. What does Beulah reveal to Marion?
4. What does Marion find out about Beulah Gierdien at the library?
5. What does Marion discover among old papers and maps at the library?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hortensia never confront Peter about the affair?
2. Why might Aggie have said “There’s blood here, Marion” (169)?
3. What does Agnes reveal about the painting?
4. What motivates Hortensia to contact Esme?
5. How does Chapter Sixteen show Marion develop?
6. Why is the fact that Hortensia had an abortion significant?
7. Why does Hortensia mock Marion’s attraction to Frikkie?
8. Why did Hortensia and Peter not have children?
9. How does Hortensia ultimately feel about marriage?
10. How does architecture tie into Marion’s racism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader never sees Peter or Max in the present tense. Why do you think the author chose to relegate the husbands to flashbacks only?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the author chose to situate the novel in the neighborhood of Katterijn specifically? What details about the neighborhood contribute to the plot and themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How do the flashback scenes serve the overall narrative of the novel? What information do we learn from these scenes?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)