|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hortensia wear during her recovery period?
2. What does Hortensia agree to do with the painting?
3. What was Alberta's real name?
4. What best describes Hortensia’s feelings on her wedding day?
5. Who is Niknaks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hortensia and Peter not have children?
2. Why does Hortensia feel “at home again” after she and Marion fight?
3. Why is the fact that Hortensia had an abortion significant?
4. How does Peter feel about Hortensia’s career?
5. How does Chapter Sixteen show Hortensia develop?
6. What was Marion’s teacher “Queen Victoria” attempting to educate her students regarding?
7. Why did Hortensia never confront Peter about the affair?
8. How does Hortensia ultimately feel about marriage?
9. What causes Hortensia to “begin to hate”?
10. What does Marion removing the stain from Hortensia’s wall symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Hortensia and Marion’s respective treatment and perception of their housekeepers, Bassey and Agnes.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel Marion is undoubtedly racist, but by the end of the novel she admits to having a problem. How and why does Marion change? Do you think this change will last? Provide evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The reader never sees Peter or Max in the present tense. Why do you think the author chose to relegate the husbands to flashbacks only?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)