|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marion see being taken away from Hortensia's home?
2. Who is Zippy?
3. What does Hortensia plan on removing and adding to the home?
4. Where does Peter's daughter live?
5. Who does Hortensia ask Dr. Mama to assign as her new nurse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Marion and Hortensia argue over the remodel?
2. How does Marion’s daughter Marelena feel about Marion’s displacement from home?
3. Why does Hortensia walk to the Koppie?
4. What does Chapter Seven reveal about why Marion became an architect?
5. How does Hortensia feel when Peter dies?
6. What is Marion’s current financial predicament in Chapter Three?
7. Why does Mr. Marx insist that Hortensia meet Esme?
8. Why does Hortensia arrange for Marion to be her nurse?
9. What was Marion’s relationship with her parents like?
10. What is the Samsodien family claiming?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the author chose to situate the novel in the neighborhood of Katterijn specifically? What details about the neighborhood contribute to the plot and themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The reader never sees Peter or Max in the present tense. Why do you think the author chose to relegate the husbands to flashbacks only?
Essay Topic 3
How do the flashback scenes serve the overall narrative of the novel? What information do we learn from these scenes?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)