|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After apologizing to Marion, Hortensia is left with what?
2. In what industry did Marion's husband work?
3. What gossip about Marion does Bassey tell Hortensia?
4. When Marion was a child, what did she say she wanted to be when she grew up?
5. What did Hortensia do at night to distract herself from Peter's affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the committee dealing with the issues of Beulah Gierdien and the Samsodiens in Chapter Eight?
2. How does Hortensia feel when Peter dies?
3. What does Hortensia cite as her “last remaining comfort” in the world?
4. What happens when Hortensia tries to apologize to Marion?
5. How does Marion treat Agnes?
6. How do Hortensia and Marion first meet?
7. What was Marion’s relationship with her parents like?
8. What is Marion’s current financial predicament in Chapter Three?
9. Why does Marion label Hortensia "a thief"?
10. Why does Marion prefer her dog to her late husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What factors shape Hortensia’s very negative and mean attitude? What elements from her past? What elements from her present?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Hortensia’s perception of and struggles with the concept of motherhood. How does this compare to Marion’s struggle?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the Samsodien’s land claim against the Von Struikers. What is the history of this claim? What is the defense for both sides?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)