|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Marion thinks about when she wakes up from fainting?
2. Who does Hortensia ask Dr. Mama to assign as her new nurse?
3. Which word best describes Hortensia’s apology to Marion?
4. Hortensia feels her life could have benefitted from more anger and less of what?
5. At the end of Chapter Ten, what does Marion agree to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Marion’s relationship with her parents like?
2. Why does Hortensia scrub the cast-iron tub at night?
3. Why does Marion enjoy working with Frikkie on her home reconstruction?
4. How does Marion treat Agnes?
5. Why does Marion label Hortensia "a thief"?
6. Describe the interaction in which Marion is forced to fire Agnes. Why is she being fired? How does each women handle this news?
7. Why does Dr. Mama visit Hortensia? What is their interaction like?
8. What does Chapter Seven reveal about why Marion became an architect?
9. Why does Beulah Gierdien write a letter to the Katterijn community?
10. Why do Marion and Hortensia argue over the remodel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Hortensia’s perception of and struggles with the concept of motherhood. How does this compare to Marion’s struggle?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of “age” as it applies to the main characters and the storyline. Why do you think the author chose to focus on two elderly woman?
Essay Topic 3
What are the origins of Marion and Hortensia’s feud? Point to examples from the novel that indicate how their mutual loathing developed and why it became so fierce.
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)