|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marion first stay while her home is being repaired?
2. What sets Hortensia apart from everyone else in Katterijn?
3. Why did Marion assume Frikkie was white?
4. In Chapter Eight, who contacts the Katterijn committee?
5. Though she dislikes water, what feature is Hortensia planning on adding to her home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Hortensia tries to apologize to Marion?
2. How does Marion perceive race?
3. Why does Hortensia arrange for Marion to be her nurse?
4. How does Hortensia feel when Peter dies?
5. Why does Mr. Marx insist that Hortensia meet Esme?
6. How do Hortensia and Marion first meet?
7. Why does Marion label Hortensia "a thief"?
8. Why does Marion enjoy working with Frikkie on her home reconstruction?
9. Why does Dr. Mama visit Hortensia? What is their interaction like?
10. Why does Hortensia walk to the Koppie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and dissect Hortensia’s complicated reaction to Peter’s death. Point to specific scenes from the novel that reveal her conflicting emotions.
Essay Topic 2
How does the theme of “design” function in the novel? In what ways is it a focus of both Marion and Hortensia’s lives?
Essay Topic 3
How do the flashback scenes serve the overall narrative of the novel? What information do we learn from these scenes?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)