|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Marion thinks about when she wakes up from fainting?
2. Who does Hortensia ask Dr. Mama to assign as her new nurse?
3. Where does Marion first stay while her home is being repaired?
4. What does Hortensia plan on removing and adding to the home?
5. Who is Frikkie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hortensia arrange for Marion to be her nurse?
2. What happens in the construction accident?
3. Why does Dr. Mama visit Hortensia? What is their interaction like?
4. What is the Samsodien family claiming?
5. What happens when Hortensia tries to apologize to Marion?
6. Why does Beulah Gierdien write a letter to the Katterijn community?
7. How does Marion treat Agnes?
8. What shocking news does the lawyer Mr. Marx reveal to Hortensia?
9. What does Hortensia cite as her “last remaining comfort” in the world?
10. Why does Marion prefer her dog to her late husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hortensia and Marion may seem like very different women on the surface, but they have many similarities. Compare and contrast their overall life histories and world views.
Essay Topic 2
How do the concepts of wealth and money impact the characters in the novel? What are their relationships to money, and what is Katterijn’s relationship to the concept?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of Beulah Gierdien’s letter and request that she bury her grandmother’s ashes on Hortensia’s property. What history and significance is present here?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)