|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country is the novel primarily set?
2. Why does Hortensia want to remodel her home?
3. What does Marion pressure Hortensia to talk about?
4. What does Hortensia plan on removing and adding to the home?
5. In Chapter Six, where does Hortensia watch Peter and his mistress?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marion prefer her dog to her late husband?
2. Why does Dr. Mama visit Hortensia? What is their interaction like?
3. What is Marion’s current financial predicament in Chapter Three?
4. What was Marion’s relationship with her parents like?
5. How does Marion perceive race?
6. Why does Marion label Hortensia "a thief"?
7. What happens when Hortensia tries to apologize to Marion?
8. What does Chapter Seven reveal about why Marion became an architect?
9. Why does Beulah Gierdien write a letter to the Katterijn community?
10. Why does Hortensia not wish to help Beulah Gierdien?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the novel explain the development of Marion’s racism? What specific scenes from her childhood cause her to develop in the manner that she does?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of “age” as it applies to the main characters and the storyline. Why do you think the author chose to focus on two elderly woman?
Essay Topic 3
What are the origins of Marion and Hortensia’s feud? Point to examples from the novel that indicate how their mutual loathing developed and why it became so fierce.
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)