|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hortensia contact at the beginning of Chapter Eighteen?
(c) Dr. Mama.
2. What did Marion witness happen to Alberta?
(a) Her family was kidnapped.
(b) She was in a car accident.
(c) She was physically attacked.
(d) Her possessions were stolen.
3. What does Hortensia do that causes Marion to move out?
(a) Steals her things.
(b) Yells at her.
(c) Curses her.
(d) Slaps her.
4. When was Peter diagnosed with his illness?
(a) Just weeks before his death.
(b) Shortly after retiring.
(c) As a young man.
(d) A month after their marriage.
5. How did Hortensia feel when she watched Peter with his mistress?
Short Answer Questions
1. What unpleasant beverage do Hortensia and Marion share in Chapter Eighteen.
2. Why does fighting with Marion make Hortensia feel at home again?
3. Hortensia discovers Marion’s feelings towards Frikkie are what?
4. What event takes place at the beginning of Chapter Seventeen?
5. The narrator says that unlike their in-person communication, Hortensia and Peter’s letters were what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Aggie have said “There’s blood here, Marion” (169)?
2. What does the photograph that covers the stain in Hortensia’s room symbolize?
3. Why did Hortensia and Peter’s relationship receive criticism?
4. What was Marion’s teacher “Queen Victoria” attempting to educate her students regarding?
5. How does Agnes ultimately feel about Marion?
6. How does Chapter Sixteen show Marion develop?
7. How does architecture tie into Marion’s racism?
8. How does Marion feel about the torture schematics she finds at the library?
9. How does Peter feel about Hortensia’s career?
10. Why did Hortensia and Peter not have children?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)