|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bassey make for Innes?
(c) Hot chocolate.
2. What does Hortensia reveal became of her first pregnancy?
(a) She had an abortion.
(b) It ended in a miscarriage.
(c) She fell and the baby died.
(d) It ended in a stillbirth.
3. What does Marion suggest is the reason Hortensia could never become pregnant?
(a) The stress of living in Katterijn.
(b) Hortensia was not supposed to become a mother.
(c) The presence of Beulah Gierdien's ancestors.
(d) A medical anomaly.
4. What hides the stain on Hortensia’s bedroom wall?
(a) A photograph of Hortensia and Peter.
(b) A Pierneef painting.
(c) A decorative vase.
(d) A sketch of the house.
5. Agnes’s attitude towards Marion could best be described as what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marion suggest when she finds Dr. Mama and Hortensia together?
2. What was Alberta's real name?
3. How much is the Von Struikers’ land worth now?
4. What does Hortensia reveal caused her to slap Marion?
5. How long has Bassey been working for Hortensia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the arrangement when Marion moves into Hortensia’s house?
2. Why does Marion struggle to admit her feelings to Ludmilla?
3. Why might Aggie have said “There’s blood here, Marion” (169)?
4. Why does Hortensia slap Marion?
5. Why does Hortensia feel “at home again” after she and Marion fight?
6. Why did Hortensia and Peter’s relationship receive criticism?
7. How does Chapter Sixteen show Marion develop?
8. How does Marion feel to be staying in No. 10 Katterijn Avenue?
9. Why does Marion share the story about Alberta?
10. What does Agnes reveal about the painting?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)