|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Peter’s parents disapprove of their son’s marriage?
(a) They think Hortensia has no ambition.
(b) They do not like Hortensia's family.
(c) They are concerned for any children they might have.
(d) They think Peter is too young to be married.
2. How did Hortensia feel when she watched Peter with his mistress?
3. How much did the Von Struikers initially purchase their land for?
(b) A few thousand dollars.
(c) Market value.
(d) Millions of dollars.
4. Where does the couple first move after they marry in England?
5. What does Hortensia wear during her recovery period?
(b) Hospital gowns.
(d) Colorful nightgowns.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hortensia regret ending her first pregnancy?
2. What did Marion witness happen to Alberta?
3. What makes Hortensia angry enough to reveal Peter's infidelity to Marion?
4. Why does Hortensia ultimately never confront Peter about the affair?
5. Why did Agnes take the painting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hortensia and Peter not have children?
2. How does Marion feel about the torture schematics she finds at the library?
3. Why did Hortensia and Peter’s relationship receive criticism?
4. Why does Marion struggle to admit her feelings to Ludmilla?
5. Why is Marion surprised by Hortensia’s interaction with Innes?
6. What is the arrangement when Marion moves into Hortensia’s house?
7. Why might Aggie have said “There’s blood here, Marion” (169)?
8. How does Peter feel about Hortensia’s career?
9. Why did Hortensia never confront Peter about the affair?
10. Why is the fact that Hortensia had an abortion significant?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)