|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Marion give up her career?
(a) To focus on her health.
(b) To start her own small business.
(c) To raise her children.
(d) To go back to school.
2. What does Agnes return to Marion?
(a) The Pierneef painting.
(b) A ruby ring.
(c) A sapphire necklace.
(d) A diamond bracelet.
3. At the end of Chapter Ten, what does Marion agree to do?
(a) Go on a date with Dr. Mama.
(b) Move in with Hortensia.
(c) Fire Agnes.
(d) Sell her home.
4. What best describes the tone of Dr. Mama and Hortensia’s conversation?
5. Where does Peter's daughter live?
(a) Cape Town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marion pressure Hortensia to talk about?
2. What is the name of the neighborhood where the novel takes place?
3. How does Hortensia feel when she learns of Peter's daughter?
4. How is Marion affected by the crane accident?
5. Who wishes to bury her ashes on Hortensia's property?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shocking news does the lawyer Mr. Marx reveal to Hortensia?
2. Why does Beulah Gierdien write a letter to the Katterijn community?
3. What does Hortensia cite as her “last remaining comfort” in the world?
4. Why do Marion and Hortensia argue over the remodel?
5. What happens when Hortensia tries to apologize to Marion?
6. What is the Samsodien family claiming?
7. How does Marion treat Agnes?
8. What is Marion’s current financial predicament in Chapter Three?
9. How does Marion’s daughter Marelena feel about Marion’s displacement from home?
10. How do Hortensia and Marion first meet?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)