|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the closest major city to Katterijn?
(a) Port Elizabeth.
(d) Cape Town.
2. How does Hortensia describe architecture?
(a) It is a fine art.
(b) It is a con.
(c) It is underappreciated.
(d) It is difficult.
3. What item does Marion think will save her from bankruptcy?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A ring.
(c) A sculpture.
(d) A painting.
4. How does Hortensia feel about the letter requesting the burial?
(a) It is overly sentimental.
(b) It is rude.
(c) It is beautiful.
(d) It is understandable.
5. Who lives in Marion's first design?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of her mother’s stories does Marion recollect in Chapter Seven?
2. While working to apologize to Marion, what happens to Hortensia?
3. What best describes Max's personality?
4. Who does Marion not want to know about the painting?
5. What did Hortensia do at night to distract herself from Peter's affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Marion’s relationship with her parents like?
2. Why does Marion enjoy working with Frikkie on her home reconstruction?
3. Why does Hortensia arrange for Marion to be her nurse?
4. What is Marion’s current financial predicament in Chapter Three?
5. How is the committee dealing with the issues of Beulah Gierdien and the Samsodiens in Chapter Eight?
6. How does Marion’s daughter Marelena feel about Marion’s displacement from home?
7. Why do Marion and Hortensia argue over the remodel?
8. How does Marion perceive race?
9. Describe the interaction in which Marion is forced to fire Agnes. Why is she being fired? How does each women handle this news?
10. Why can Marion not sell the painting herself?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)