|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item does Marion think will save her from bankruptcy?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A ring.
(c) A painting.
(d) A sculpture.
2. How does Hortensia feel about the letter requesting the burial?
(a) It is understandable.
(b) It is beautiful.
(c) It is overly sentimental.
(d) It is rude.
3. What is the first thing Marion thinks about when she wakes up from fainting?
(a) Her house.
(d) The Pierneef painting.
4. How does Hortensia feel about Beulah Gierdien's letter?
(a) It is beautiful.
(b) It sounds fake.
(c) It is an emergency.
(d) It is too sentimental.
5. Why did Marion assume Frikkie was white?
(a) Because of something she read online.
(b) Because he came highly recommended.
(c) Because of his articulate speaking voice.
(d) Because of his physical appearance.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Marion when she met her husband?
2. Who is Zippy?
3. What sets Hortensia apart from everyone else in Katterijn?
4. What is the name of the hill Hortensia walks to?
5. After apologizing to Marion, Hortensia is left with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hortensia walk to the Koppie?
2. Why does Marion enjoy working with Frikkie on her home reconstruction?
3. What happens when Hortensia tries to apologize to Marion?
4. How does Marion perceive race?
5. Why can Marion not sell the painting herself?
6. Why does Mr. Marx insist that Hortensia meet Esme?
7. What is Marion’s current financial predicament in Chapter Three?
8. What is the Samsodien family claiming?
9. What shocking news does the lawyer Mr. Marx reveal to Hortensia?
10. Why does Beulah Gierdien write a letter to the Katterijn community?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)