|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Peter's daughter?
2. How did Hortensia disguise herself so as to follow Peter?
(a) Wearing a burka.
(b) Riding in a cab.
(c) Pretending to work in the market.
(d) Wearing sunglasses.
3. What best describes the tone of Dr. Mama and Hortensia’s conversation?
4. How does Hortensia feel about the letter requesting the burial?
(a) It is rude.
(b) It is understandable.
(c) It is beautiful.
(d) It is overly sentimental.
5. What does Marion see being taken away from Hortensia's home?
(a) Legal paperwork.
(c) Peter's dead body.
(d) A painting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hill Hortensia walks to?
2. Where does Marion first stay while her home is being repaired?
3. Which word best describes Hortensia’s apology to Marion?
4. In Chapter Six, where does Hortensia watch Peter and his mistress?
5. What is the name of the neighborhood where the novel takes place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hortensia cite as her “last remaining comfort” in the world?
2. How does Marion perceive race?
3. Why does Dr. Mama visit Hortensia? What is their interaction like?
4. What was Marion’s relationship with her parents like?
5. What happens when Hortensia tries to apologize to Marion?
6. Why does Marion label Hortensia "a thief"?
7. Why does Hortensia scrub the cast-iron tub at night?
8. How does Marion treat Agnes?
9. How is the committee dealing with the issues of Beulah Gierdien and the Samsodiens in Chapter Eight?
10. How do Hortensia and Marion first meet?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)