|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Bassey been working for Hortensia?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 20 years.
2. The narrator says that unlike their in-person communication, Hortensia and Peter’s letters were what?
3. Where does Hortensia reveal Dr. Mama is currently?
(a) On a cruise with another woman.
(b) Getting married.
(c) Vacationing with his boyfriend.
(d) Visiting his daughter.
4. Why does Hortensia regret ending her first pregnancy?
(a) Peter was angry about the abortion.
(b) She wanted the child.
(c) She blames herself for later pregnancy failures.
(d) She let Peter force her to end the pregnancy.
5. How did Marion know Alberta?
(a) She was a stranger.
(b) She was the neighbor's maid.
(c) She was a family friend.
(d) She was Marion's nanny.
6. Why do Hortensia and Marion agree that being enemies was better than being friends?
(a) They are too alike to be friends.
(b) They have different lifestyles.
(c) They are not compatible as roommates.
(d) It was easier to dislike each other.
7. What did Marion witness happen to Alberta?
(a) She was in a car accident.
(b) Her family was kidnapped.
(c) She was physically attacked.
(d) Her possessions were stolen.
8. What hides the stain on Hortensia’s bedroom wall?
(a) A photograph of Hortensia and Peter.
(b) A sketch of the house.
(c) A Pierneef painting.
(d) A decorative vase.
9. What does Hortensia wear during her recovery period?
(b) Hospital gowns.
(d) Colorful nightgowns.
10. What does Hortensia do that causes Marion to move out?
(a) Slaps her.
(b) Curses her.
(c) Steals her things.
(d) Yells at her.
11. Why did Hortensia pretend to go on business trips?
(a) To spy on Peter.
(b) To go on vacations.
(c) To have an excuse to get out of the house.
(d) To have an affair.
12. How does Hortensia feel that Peter does not understand her work?
(a) She doesn't care.
(b) It secretly saddens her.
(c) It makes her feel independent.
(d) She appreciates the solitude.
13. What unpleasant beverage do Hortensia and Marion share in Chapter Eighteen.
14. How did Hortensia feel when she watched Peter with his mistress?
15. What does Hortensia reveal became of her first pregnancy?
(a) It ended in a miscarriage.
(b) She fell and the baby died.
(c) It ended in a stillbirth.
(d) She had an abortion.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marion feel about Alberta’s story in retrospect?
2. What does Marion's teacher say is in the textbook she encourages them to buy?
3. What did Marion say when Agnes asked if she could finish her degree?
4. Why does Hortensia not want any books from the library?
5. How does Marion feel when she witnesses Hortensia being kind?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)