|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hortensia reveal to Marion at the start of Chapter Sixteen?
(a) She had an abortion.
(b) She never loved Peter.
(c) She had an affair.
(d) Peter had a daughter with another woman.
2. How much did the Von Struikers initially purchase their land for?
(a) Market value.
(c) A few thousand dollars.
(d) Millions of dollars.
3. What does Marion's teacher say is in the textbook she encourages them to buy?
(a) Reproductive knowledge.
(b) Real history.
(c) High level mathematics.
(d) Details about slavery.
4. Where does Hortensia reveal Dr. Mama is currently?
(a) Vacationing with his boyfriend.
(b) On a cruise with another woman.
(c) Getting married.
(d) Visiting his daughter.
5. When did Hortensia plan to tell Peter about her knowledge of the affair?
(a) At dinner.
(b) In the car.
(d) On vacation.
6. What does Marion repeatedly insist to Hortensia?
(a) "I am not a racist."
(b) "I am ignorant."
(c) "I think we could be friends."
(d) "I understand history."
7. How did Hortensia feel when she watched Peter with his mistress?
8. Who does Hortensia contact at the beginning of Chapter Eighteen?
(c) Dr. Mama.
9. When was Peter diagnosed with his illness?
(a) Shortly after retiring.
(b) Just weeks before his death.
(c) As a young man.
(d) A month after their marriage.
10. Hortensia discovers Marion’s feelings towards Frikkie are what?
11. Why does fighting with Marion make Hortensia feel at home again?
(a) It was easier for them to be enemies.
(b) Marion decides to leave and she is left alone.
(c) It keeps her occupied now that Peter is gone.
(d) She gets a thrill from fighting.
12. What does Hortensia reveal became of her first pregnancy?
(a) She had an abortion.
(b) It ended in a stillbirth.
(c) It ended in a miscarriage.
(d) She fell and the baby died.
13. What does Hortensia agree to do with the painting?
(a) Sell it for Agnes.
(b) Hide it from Agnes.
(c) Sell it for Marion.
(d) Keep it as a gift for Innes.
14. How did Peter and Hortensia stay in touch for many years?
(b) Cross-country visits.
(d) Phone calls.
15. What does Hortensia do that causes Marion to move out?
(a) Yells at her.
(b) Slaps her.
(c) Curses her.
(d) Steals her things.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Hortensia and Marion get to Agnes’s home in Cape Town?
2. At the end of Chapter Thirteen, Hortensia concludes that doing what with someone is an intimate experience?
3. What does Marion suggest is the reason Hortensia could never become pregnant?
4. What did Marion’s teacher likely mean when she said that students need to learn “real” history?
5. Why did Hortensia pretend to go on business trips?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)