|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Instead of her bedroom, where does Hortensia sleep?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The living room.
(c) The guest bedroom.
(d) The office.
2. When does Hortensia tell Mr. Marx she will contact Esme?
(a) When her leg recovers.
(b) When she is ready.
(c) When he stops calling her.
(d) When Esme reaches a certain age.
3. At the end of Chapter Thirteen, Hortensia concludes that doing what with someone is an intimate experience?
4. Why did Hortensia and Peter never have children?
(a) Hortensia was secretly on birth control.
(b) She could not conceive.
(c) Peter was impotent.
(d) Hortensia hates children.
5. What does Marion suggest is the reason Hortensia could never become pregnant?
(a) A medical anomaly.
(b) The stress of living in Katterijn.
(c) Hortensia was not supposed to become a mother.
(d) The presence of Beulah Gierdien's ancestors.
6. Why does fighting with Marion make Hortensia feel at home again?
(a) She gets a thrill from fighting.
(b) It was easier for them to be enemies.
(c) Marion decides to leave and she is left alone.
(d) It keeps her occupied now that Peter is gone.
7. What event takes place at the beginning of Chapter Seventeen?
(a) Marion visiting Anges.
(b) Hortensia meeting Esme.
(c) The funeral for Beulah Gierdien's grandmother.
(d) Hortensia slapping Marion.
8. When was Peter diagnosed with his illness?
(a) As a young man.
(b) Just weeks before his death.
(c) Shortly after retiring.
(d) A month after their marriage.
9. What does Hortensia tell Marion to do with the photograph of her and Peter?
(a) Throw it out.
(b) Put it in storage.
(c) Smash it.
(d) Hang it downstairs.
10. How did Hortensia feel when she watched Peter with his mistress?
11. How does Hortensia feel that Peter does not understand her work?
(a) She appreciates the solitude.
(b) It secretly saddens her.
(c) It makes her feel independent.
(d) She doesn't care.
12. What does Marion repeatedly insist to Hortensia?
(a) "I understand history."
(b) "I am not a racist."
(c) "I think we could be friends."
(d) "I am ignorant."
13. Who is Niknaks?
(a) Bassey's sister.
(b) Marion's daughter.
(c) Agnes's daughter.
(d) Agnes's nurse.
14. What does Bassey make for Innes?
(a) Hot chocolate.
15. What does Marion remove from Hortensia’s wall?
(a) A greasy stain.
(b) An ugly painting.
(c) A torn piece of wallpaper.
(d) A bug.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname did Mariona and her classmates give their teacher?
2. At the end of Chapter Fifteen, what does Marion admit to Hortensia?
3. How does Hortensia feel after witnessing Peter with another woman?
4. What does Hortensia focus on instead of her marriage?
5. What best describes Hortensia’s feelings on her wedding day?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)