|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marion find out about Beulah Gierdien at the library?
(a) Her story matches historical records.
(b) Her story is false.
(c) Her grandmother is related to Hortensia.
(d) Her family is connected to the Samsodiens.
2. Where does the library keep the “diverse” authors?
(a) In a corner.
(b) They do not carry diverse authors.
(c) In a locked room.
(d) In the main reading area.
3. How did Peter and Hortensia stay in touch for many years?
(b) Phone calls.
(c) Cross-country visits.
4. What did Marion witness happen to Alberta?
(a) Her family was kidnapped.
(b) Her possessions were stolen.
(c) She was in a car accident.
(d) She was physically attacked.
5. When does Hortensia tell Mr. Marx she will contact Esme?
(a) When he stops calling her.
(b) When her leg recovers.
(c) When Esme reaches a certain age.
(d) When she is ready.
6. What does Marion decide to do about the Von Struikers’ land claim?
(a) Remove Ludmilla from the committee.
(b) Stop supporting Ludmilla.
(c) Hire a lawyer.
(d) Give money to the Samsodiens.
7. Why do Hortensia and Marion agree that being enemies was better than being friends?
(a) It was easier to dislike each other.
(b) They have different lifestyles.
(c) They are too alike to be friends.
(d) They are not compatible as roommates.
8. What does Hortensia tell Marion to do with the photograph of her and Peter?
(a) Smash it.
(b) Hang it downstairs.
(c) Put it in storage.
(d) Throw it out.
9. Who does Hortensia contact at the beginning of Chapter Eighteen?
(a) Dr. Mama.
10. How does Hortensia react when Marion reaches for her hand?
(a) She does not react.
(b) She yells at Marion.
(c) She embraces it in return.
(d) She swats it away.
11. Who is Innes's mother?
12. What nickname did Mariona and her classmates give their teacher?
(c) Queen Victoria.
(d) The Witch.
13. What does Marion suggest when she finds Dr. Mama and Hortensia together?
(a) The group should go out on the town.
(b) Dr. Mama should work for Marion.
(c) They have breakfast together.
(d) Hortensia and Dr. Mama should go on a date.
14. Why does Hortensia regret ending her first pregnancy?
(a) She wanted the child.
(b) Peter was angry about the abortion.
(c) She blames herself for later pregnancy failures.
(d) She let Peter force her to end the pregnancy.
15. What best describes Hortensia’s feelings on her wedding day?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Marion know Alberta?
2. How does Hortensia feel that Peter does not understand her work?
3. Agnes’s attitude towards Marion could best be described as what?
4. What does the newspaper reveal will happen with the Samsodien’s claim?
5. What does Hortensia reveal caused her to slap Marion?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)