|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hortensia reveal became of her first pregnancy?
(a) It ended in a stillbirth.
(b) She fell and the baby died.
(c) She had an abortion.
(d) It ended in a miscarriage.
2. What did Hortensia and Peter do on many of their first dates?
3. At the end of Chapter Thirteen, Hortensia concludes that doing what with someone is an intimate experience?
4. How do Hortensia and Marion get to Agnes’s home in Cape Town?
(a) They take the bus.
(b) Marion drives them.
(c) They take a cab.
(d) Bassey drives them.
5. What does the newspaper reveal will happen with the Samsodien’s claim?
(a) They will owe money to the Von Struikers.
(b) They will get the entirety of the Von Struiker property.
(c) They will receive no land.
(d) They will receive some land.
6. Instead of her bedroom, where does Hortensia sleep?
(a) The office.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The living room.
(d) The guest bedroom.
7. Why did Peter’s parents disapprove of their son’s marriage?
(a) They do not like Hortensia's family.
(b) They are concerned for any children they might have.
(c) They think Peter is too young to be married.
(d) They think Hortensia has no ambition.
8. What does Hortensia agree to do with the painting?
(a) Sell it for Agnes.
(b) Hide it from Agnes.
(c) Sell it for Marion.
(d) Keep it as a gift for Innes.
9. Who does Hortensia contact at the beginning of Chapter Eighteen?
(c) Dr. Mama.
10. What does Beulah reveal to Marion?
(a) Her grandmother was related to Hortensia.
(b) Her family wishes to make a donation to Marion.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is getting married.
11. What does Marion discover among old papers and maps at the library?
(a) Letters from Beulah Gierdien's grandmother.
(b) Family photographs.
(c) Evidence incriminating Beulah Gierdien.
(d) Slave torture schematics.
12. Where does the couple first move after they marry in England?
13. Where does Hortensia reveal Dr. Mama is currently?
(a) Getting married.
(b) Vacationing with his boyfriend.
(c) Visiting his daughter.
(d) On a cruise with another woman.
14. How does Hortensia feel that Peter does not understand her work?
(a) It makes her feel independent.
(b) She doesn't care.
(c) It secretly saddens her.
(d) She appreciates the solitude.
15. What unpleasant beverage do Hortensia and Marion share in Chapter Eighteen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Marion witness happen to Alberta?
2. What did Marion’s teacher likely mean when she said that students need to learn “real” history?
3. What does Hortensia reveal caused her to slap Marion?
4. Why do Hortensia and Marion agree that being enemies was better than being friends?
5. What best describes Hortensia’s feelings on her wedding day?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)