|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hortensia describe architecture?
(a) It is a con.
(b) It is a fine art.
(c) It is difficult.
(d) It is underappreciated.
2. In Chapter Eight, who contacts the Katterijn committee?
(a) Beulah Gierdien.
(b) Mr. Marx.
3. What caused Marion's bankruptcy?
(a) An expensive surgery.
(b) Max's debts.
(c) Her children.
(d) Her frivolous spending.
4. What is the closest major city to Katterijn?
(b) Port Elizabeth.
(d) Cape Town.
5. Who is Mr. Marx?
(a) Peter's brother.
(b) Peter's lawyer.
(c) Peter's best friend.
(d) Peter's debt collector.
6. How did Hortensia disguise herself so as to follow Peter?
(a) Riding in a cab.
(b) Pretending to work in the market.
(c) Wearing a burka.
(d) Wearing sunglasses.
7. How is Marion affected by the crane accident?
(a) Part of her home is destroyed.
(b) Her painting is destroyed.
(c) Her leg is broken.
(d) Her yard is filled with Hortensia's rubble.
8. How is Hortensia injured in the crane accident?
(b) A broken femur.
(c) A concussion.
(d) A broken arm.
9. What sets Hortensia apart from everyone else in Katterijn?
(a) She is poor.
(b) She is European.
(c) She is unmarried.
(d) She is black.
10. What gossip about Marion does Bassey tell Hortensia?
(a) She and Marelena are fighting.
(b) She is in financial trouble.
(c) She dislikes Agnes.
(d) She is seeing someone.
11. In what country is the novel primarily set?
(a) The United States.
(b) South Africa.
12. Which of her mother’s stories does Marion recollect in Chapter Seven?
(a) A boat voyage from South Africa to London.
(b) How Marion got her name.
(c) A family vacation to France.
(d) How she and her father first met.
13. Though she dislikes water, what feature is Hortensia planning on adding to her home?
(a) A pool.
(b) A jaccuzzi.
(c) A fountain.
(d) A waterfall.
14. Where did Hortensia go to design school?
(d) South Africa.
15. What best describes Max's personality?
Short Answer Questions
1. While working to apologize to Marion, what happens to Hortensia?
2. In Chapter Six, where does Hortensia watch Peter and his mistress?
3. What is Marion's profession?
4. What is the name of the neighborhood where the novel takes place?
5. Who does Marion not want to know about the painting?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)