|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While in hiding, how much money do Laura, Walter, and Marian have in the bank?
2. After her marriage ended, who did Mrs. Catherick refuse money from?
3. What did Marian do to determine whether Laura was indeed in the asylum?
4. When Walter is out researching Laura's case, Marian communicates with him with what?
5. How much money does Count Fosco gain from the conspiracy against Laura?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Catherick say would surprise her regarding Sir Percival?
2. What is Walter's emotional state on his cab ride to confront Count Fosco at his home?
3. In regards to Count Fosco, why does Walter ask Pesca for help?
4. What did Count Fosco admit he was planning to do to Anne as part of a plot to steal Laura's identity?
5. What tone is the letter Count Fosco writes to Marian, following Laura's "death"?
6. When Laura told the asylum attendants her true identity, why did they choose to ignore her claims?
7. To prove the case for Laura, Mr. Kyrle advises Walter to obtain what?
8. Why does Walter reveal the truth about Anne's death to Mrs. Clements?
9. When Walter first meets with Mrs. Clements, what does she believe about Anne?
10. Once Sir Percival has died, why does Walter not return to London immediately?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in "The Woman in White" take from others to achieve their success. Choosing from one of the following examples to create a supporting argument, examine how greed leads to destruction.
1) Sir Percival's phony title.
2) Count Fosco's betrayal of his secret society.
3) Mrs. Catherick's assistance to Sir Percival at Old Welmingham church.
Essay Topic 2
There are several obstacles for the characters in "The Woman in White" to overcome. Choose a character from the story and write an essay on how he or she is affected by the obstacles faced.
1) What obstacles must this character overcome?
2) In what way do these obstacles force this character to seek out action?
3) How is the character changed do the obstacles faced?
Essay Topic 3
Although Walter and Laura are in love, circumstance fights to keep them apart.
1) When do Walter and Laura discover their love?
2) Why are they unable to be together?
3) How does the relationship unfold when they can be together?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)