|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Following the night at the opera, what does Walter risk by visiting Count Fosco alone?
2. What does Walter notice about the lock on the vestry door?
3. What does Walter discover at the church in Old Welmingham?
4. Why did Mrs. Clements help Anne share a secret with Laura?
5. Why does Walter return to Blackwater Park after seeking out evidence at the inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Count Fosco admit he was planning to do to Anne as part of a plot to steal Laura's identity?
2. On his visit to Blackwater Park, Walter suspects the man with the carpetbag will attempt what, if given the chance?
3. Once Sir Percival has died, why does Walter not return to London immediately?
4. How does Marian react to Walter's plan to confront Count Fosco at his home?
5. Who did Mrs. Catherick have an affair with and how did it end?
6. What does Mrs. Catherick say would surprise her regarding Sir Percival?
7. When Marian is in disbelief at the idea of Count Fosco's admiration, what argument does Walter make?
8. Why does Walter realize his hunch is correct about the Old Welmingham church and Sir Percival's secret?
9. Who prescribed and delivered the medicine to treat Anne, just before she died?
10. What happens to Sir Percival when the church is set on fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in "The Woman in White" portray society during the time period of the story. Write a brief essay comparing and contrasting the characters of privilege and the working class in "The Woman in White".
Essay Topic 2
Laura experiences a "rebirth" in "The Woman in White". Examine this rebirth, taking a stand on whether this is a positive or negative opportunity for Laura, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Although many of the characters in "The Woman in White" are considered wealthy, many of them suffer due to financial reasons. Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement: Money traps many of the characters in "The Woman in White".
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)