|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sir Percival want, if Laura cannot bear him children?
2. When Walter first meets the woman in white, what is she pointing at?
3. Why does Laura refuse to sign documents for Sir Percival?
4. What illness is Marian diagnosed with?
5. Who is Count Fosco married to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Upon learning of the events following Count Fosco's visit, what is Mr. Fairlie's response?
2. How does Walter react to the news of Laura death?
3. When Count Fosco visits Mr. Fairlie, why is he dismissed?
4. Why does Dr. Goodricke document Laura as dead from an aneurysm?
5. Why does Count Fosco consider Marian a worthy opponent?
6. What is the significance of the secret Anne claims to know about Sir Percival?
7. At the beginning of The Woman in White, what is Walter commissioned to do and where will this job take place?
8. How does Sir Percival convince the Fairlie's he acted responsibly by putting Anne into the asylum?
9. How does the solicitor feel about Laura's marriage contract?
10. Why is Walter upset at the letter he receives from Mrs. Catherick following Sir Percival's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several factors that warn the Fairlie's against Laura's union with Sir Percival. Write an essay discussing the various ways the Fairlies were warned against Sir Percival and the factors that prevented them from heading the warning.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters Walter and Sir Percival in "The Woman in White".
1) How are the two men similar?
2) How are they different?
3) What are they each fighting for and how does this affect the other?
Essay Topic 3
Early on in "The Woman in White", Anne claims to know a secret that could destroy Sir Percival. This secret caused several ramification for many characters in the novel.
1) Who could this secret hurt?
2) Who does the secret end up hurting?
3) Why did the characters keep the secret to begin with?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)