|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Laura, Marian, and Walter flee, once Walter learns Laura is alive?
2. What type of thing bothers Mr. Fairlie?
3. Where will Walter be during Laura's marriage?
4. How long has Vincent served as the Fairlie's solicitor?
5. Following Marian's letter to Mr. Fairlie, who visits him personally?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sir Percival lie to Laura about sending an ill Marian to London?
2. Upon learning of the events following Count Fosco's visit, what is Mr. Fairlie's response?
3. What is the significance of the secret Anne claims to know about Sir Percival?
4. How does the solicitor feel about Laura's marriage contract?
5. Why does Walter dislike Mr. Fairlie?
6. The anonymous letter regarding Sir Percival causes what dilemma for Limmeridge House?
7. Why does Pesca feel indebted to Walter?
8. Why does Count Fosco consider Marian a worthy opponent?
9. What is unique about Marian's intelligence, given the time period of "The Woman in White"?
10. Why does Walter tell his landlord Laura and Marian are his sisters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Laura experiences a "rebirth" in "The Woman in White". Examine this rebirth, taking a stand on whether this is a positive or negative opportunity for Laura, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between Walter and Marian evolves throughout "The Woman in White".
1) What is the history of their relationship?
2) What are their common interests?
3) How does their relationship change over time?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of Pesca.
1) What is his physical description?
2) What is his relationship with Walter Hartright?
3) What does he represent?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)