|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Walter looking for at the church in Old Welmingham?
(a) Proof of marriage for Sir Percival.
(b) Sir Percival's ex-wife.
(c) He is not sure.
(d) A birth certificate for Sir Percival.
2. How does Count Fosco gain through the conspiracy against Laura?
(a) His wife inherited Laura's money.
(b) Laura had willed him a sum.
(c) His brother inherited Laura's money.
(d) Sir Percival paid him off.
3. What rules exist for Marian and Laura while living with Walter?
(a) They cannot reveal their true identity.
(b) They cannot go out alone.
(c) All of these.
(d) They cannot let anyone in.
4. In an attempt to learn Sir Percival's secret, where does Walter meet Mrs. Catherick?
(a) Limmeridge House.
(d) Blackwater Park.
5. Who is ignorant of Count Fosco's London visit with Marian?
(a) Countess Fosco.
(b) Mr. Fairlie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Following the opera, what time does Walter arrive at Count Fosco's home?
2. Who requests an apology from Walter, yet invites him to tea?
3. Why does Solicitor Kyrle give Walter an envelope to give to Marian?
4. Marian requests Walter fight who for her?
5. What does Walter notice about the lock on the vestry door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Walter realize his hunch is correct about the Old Welmingham church and Sir Percival's secret?
2. Count Fosco reveals he was distressed about Anne's death for what reason?
3. Why might Count Fosco recognize Pesca even though Pesca does not recognize him?
4. On his visit to Blackwater Park, Walter suspects the man with the carpetbag will attempt what, if given the chance?
5. When Walter visits the church in Old Welmingham, what does he hope to find?
6. What tone is the letter Count Fosco writes to Marian, following Laura's "death"?
7. Once married to Laura, how does Walter first obtain information on Count Fosco?
8. How does Marian react to Walter's plan to confront Count Fosco at his home?
9. When Walter first meets with Mrs. Clements, what does she believe about Anne?
10. What surprises Walter when he visits the site of the church fire the following day?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)