|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Laura place in a drawing album for Marian to one day give to Walter?
(a) Several thousand pounds.
(b) A signed portrait.
(c) A lock of hair.
(d) A letter of gratitude.
2. Joseph Postlethwaite gets punished at school for claiming what?
(a) His father is a count.
(b) He is wealthier than the teacher.
(c) He can speak Italian.
(d) He saw a ghost.
3. Who examines Laura and registers her as dead?
(a) Mrs. Rubelle.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) Mr. Fairlie.
(d) Dr. Goodricke.
4. What advises Laura to be wary of Sir Percival?
(a) Marian's history with him.
(b) An anonymous letter.
(c) Walter's suspicions of him.
(d) An article in the paper.
5. What is unusual about the letter sent by Marian following Sir Percival's death?
(a) All of these.
(b) It requests Walter's immediate presence.
(c) It is very light.
(d) It is only a few lines lines.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Anne feel safe revealing Sir Percival's secret to Laura?
2. To their landlord, Laura and Marian pretend to be Walter's what?
3. Eliza believes Laura objects to Mrs. Rubelle as a nurse due to what prejudice?
4. What illness is Marian diagnosed with?
5. Why does Walter choose to keep Sir Percival's secret?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Walter believe Anne's character judgment against Sir Percival?
2. Why does Walter tell his landlord Laura and Marian are his sisters?
3. Why is Laura especially concerned for Marian's health when she falls ill?
4. Why does Walter dislike Mr. Fairlie?
5. After the incident where Laura refuses to sign papers for Sir Percival, why does Countess Fosco take Marian on a long walk?
6. At the beginning of The Woman in White, what is Walter commissioned to do and where will this job take place?
7. How does Walter react to the news of Laura death?
8. Prior to their marriage, Laura admits that she is in love with another man and gives Sir Percival the option of doing what?
9. Why is Walter upset at the letter he receives from Mrs. Catherick following Sir Percival's death?
10. What is unique about Marian's intelligence, given the time period of "The Woman in White"?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)