|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Mrs. Clements help Anne share a secret with Laura?
(a) All of these.
(b) Anne believed she was dying.
(c) Anne was going to do it without her help.
(d) Mrs. Clements loved Anne.
2. Why does Walter return to Blackwater Park after seeking out evidence at the inn?
(a) He needs time to think.
(b) He hopes to confront Sir Percival.
(c) He has time before his train leaves.
(d) He wants to find Laura's brooch.
3. What does Walter feel for Marian, when she moves Laura to Gower's Walk?
4. Does Walter spend much time behind bars in Knowlesbury?
(a) No, he escapes.
(b) No, he bribes jail guard.
(c) No, he is bailed out.
(d) Yes, he is there for a month.
5. What surprises Marian about Count Fosco?
(a) His appreciation for her.
(b) His dislike for her.
(c) His fortune.
(d) His background.
6. How many times does the clergyman bow to Mrs. Catherick?
(a) He refuses to bow.
(b) Three times.
7. When Walter is out researching Laura's case, Marian communicates with him with what?
(a) A messenger.
(c) Phone calls.
8. How is Sir Percival's body identified at the inquest?
(a) His teeth.
(b) His shoes.
(c) His pocketwatch.
(d) His hair.
9. Who does Count Fosco admit to harboring an attraction for?
(a) His mother.
(d) Countess Fosco.
10. How soon after Laura accepts Walter's proposal do they marry?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 10 days.
(c) 3 months.
(d) One week.
11. Why was Anne unwilling to write Sir Percival's secret in a letter?
(a) She claimed to be afraid someone would intercept it.
(b) She thought it too personal for a letter.
(c) The postage was too expensive.
(d) Anne could not write.
12. Following the opera, what time does Walter arrive at Count Fosco's home?
(b) 10:30 p.m.
(c) 1 a.m.
(d) 11:20 p.m.
13. What does Laura worry about being to Walter and Marian?
(c) Financial drain.
(d) Third wheel.
14. Walter feels who is helping him from the grave?
(a) His father.
(b) Every scorned wife.
(c) Laura's father.
15. How much money does Count Fosco gain from the conspiracy against Laura?
(a) 20,000 pounds.
(b) 5,000 pounds.
(c) 30,000 pounds.
(d) 10,000 pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the old man from the church is robbed, what is taken?
2. What is Walter looking for at the church in Old Welmingham?
3. Mrs. Clements was once a neighbor to who?
4. The inn keeper that could document Sir Percival's stay with Laura can be found where?
5. Following his marriage, who does Walter seek out to learn more of Count Fosco?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)