|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To prove her identity, Solicitor Kyrle needs evidence Laura came to London when?
(a) While she was married to Sir Percival.
(b) To visit with Anne.
(c) Twice the previous summer.
(d) Prior to the date on her death certificate.
2. What does Walter notice about the lock on the vestry door?
(a) It does not lock.
(b) It is made of gold.
(c) It is very old.
(d) It is brand new.
3. For what purpose did Count Fosco come to England?
(a) To get married.
(b) To learn to speak English.
(c) To spy.
(d) To dodge his creditors.
4. Who requests an apology from Walter, yet invites him to tea?
(a) Mr. Fairfield.
(c) Mrs. Catherick.
(d) Count Fosco.
5. Marian requests Walter fight who for her?
(a) Count Fosco.
(b) The courts.
(c) Sir Percival.
(d) Mrs. Catherick.
6. What does Walter discover at the church in Old Welmingham?
(a) A birth record for Sir Percival's father.
(b) Proof that Sir Percival had a twin.
(c) Information on Sir Percival's insane brother.
(d) A marriage record for Sir Percival's parents.
7. What does Count Fosco include in the first paragraph of his confession?
(a) His titles.
(b) A picture of his gun.
(c) A timeline of events.
(d) A vow to destroy Walter.
8. What power does Count Fosco have over Laura, unless she remarries?
(a) He can still claim she is Anne.
(b) He can threaten her.
(c) All of these.
(d) He can have her sent away.
9. Mrs. Catherick was once seen where with Sir Percival, causing a scandal?
(a) The shed on his property.
(b) The vestry of a church.
(c) The boathouse.
(d) Sir Percival's carriage.
10. At Grimsby, what illness is discovered in Anne?
(b) A weak heart.
11. What does Walter try to avoid, while discussing Anne's disappearance with Mrs. Clements?
(a) Mentioning Sir Percival.
(b) The entire topic.
(c) Raising false hope.
(d) Asking for money to help.
12. Who does Walter meet with in Hampshire?
(a) Sir Percival and his lawyer.
(b) Dr. Dawson and Mrs. Michelson.
(c) Mrs. Catherick.
(d) Count Fosco and his lawyer.
13. What type of job did Anne's mother hold?
14. Regarding the examination into Sir Percival's death, what is Walter relieved about?
(a) Laura does not have to attend.
(b) It proves Sir Percival was a fraud.
(c) It is brief.
(d) Nobody blames Walter for the death.
15. What Hyde Park event takes place in the year after Walter's marriage?
(a) The death of the king.
(b) The Crystal Palace Exhibition.
(c) The World Fair.
(d) The crowning of the queen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Following Sir Percival's death, why does Walter want to marry Laura?
2. During Walter's confrontation, what does he demand from Count Fosco?
3. How did Marian first hear that Laura had been placed in the asylum?
4. Over the years, Mrs. Catherick has worked hard to earn what?
5. Why does Walter return to Blackwater Park after seeking out evidence at the inn?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)