|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sir Percival drive to the train station in the middle of the night?
(a) He is drunk.
(b) To scare Marian.
(c) He is picking someone up.
(d) To see if he will get caught.
2. Who helps Mr. Fairlie write his narrative?
(d) Count Fosco.
3. What problem develops between Walter and Laura, as they spend time together?
(a) They constantly disagree.
(b) They are attracted to each other.
(c) Laura dislikes Walter's humor.
(d) Walter disrespects Laura's intellect.
4. Why did Anne once promise to wear white her entire life?
(a) To learn to be graceful.
(b) She was grateful for hand-me-downs.
(c) Out of respect for religion.
(d) She was joining the Navy.
5. What advises Laura to be wary of Sir Percival?
(a) Walter's suspicions of him.
(b) An article in the paper.
(c) An anonymous letter.
(d) Marian's history with him.
6. Who follows Anne to her meeting with Laura at the boathouse?
(a) Countess Fosco.
(b) Count Fosco.
(d) Sir Percival.
7. Why does Sir Percival lock Laura in her room?
(a) She plans a meeting with Anne.
(b) She does not trust him.
(c) She will not sign his papers.
(d) All of these.
8. Why does Laura refuse to sign documents for Sir Percival?
(a) All of these.
(b) Marian advised her not to.
(c) She wants to read them first.
(d) She does not fully trust her husband.
9. What is negotiated prior to Laura's marriage to Sir Percival?
(a) Where Laura will live.
(b) The wedding vows.
(c) Where the wedding will take place.
(d) The marriage settlement contract.
10. What does Mr. Fairlie believe about himself?
(a) He is easy-natured.
(b) He is funny.
(c) He is cantankerous.
(d) He is destined for great things.
11. What does Laura place in a drawing album for Marian to one day give to Walter?
(a) Several thousand pounds.
(b) A signed portrait.
(c) A lock of hair.
(d) A letter of gratitude.
12. What is Laura's wedding date?
(a) December 25.
(b) December 31.
(c) January 1.
(d) December 22.
13. When Walter first meets the woman in white, she claims she was once happy living where?
(c) Polesdean Lodge.
14. Why were the Knowlesbury charges against Walter dropped?
(a) Walter apologized.
(b) He paid off the judge.
(c) No one arrived to prosecute him.
(d) Mrs. Catherick talked to the priest.
15. What type of thing bothers Mr. Fairlie?
(b) Bright lights and noise.
(c) All of these.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who employs Mrs. Rubelle?
2. How many dates appear on Laura's headstone?
3. What physical characteristic is unusual about Pesca?
4. How does Marian demonstrate suspicion against Sir Percival and Count Fosco?
5. To their landlord, Laura and Marian pretend to be Walter's what?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)