|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Vincent served as the Fairlie's solicitor?
(a) Thirty years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Fifty years.
2. How does Marian demonstrate suspicion against Sir Percival and Count Fosco?
(a) Buying a gun.
(b) Dirty looks.
(c) Locking her room.
(d) Calling the police.
3. The court determines Sir Percival's death as what?
(a) A relief.
(b) An accident.
(c) A suicide.
(d) A homicide.
4. What type of thing bothers Mr. Fairlie?
(a) Bright lights and noise.
(d) All of these.
5. What does Sir Percival want, if Laura cannot bear him children?
(a) Limmeridge House.
(b) A divorce.
(c) 20,000 pounds.
(d) Permission to adopt.
6. Where does Count Fosco pretend to have sent an ill Marian?
(b) The mental institution.
7. Why does Sir Percival want Laura to sign her fortune to him?
(a) Laura is a terrible wife.
(b) To save him from financial ruin.
(c) He is better with money.
(d) Laura is not pregnant yet.
8. What does Laura place in a drawing album for Marian to one day give to Walter?
(a) A signed portrait.
(b) A lock of hair.
(c) Several thousand pounds.
(d) A letter of gratitude.
9. Why does Anne feel safe revealing Sir Percival's secret to Laura?
(a) She has hired protection.
(b) She bought a gun.
(c) She is out of the asylum.
(d) She's dying.
10. What does Walter's family fear about the situation with Laura "death"?
(a) Walter should marry her.
(b) Laura is very brave.
(c) Walter is being tricked.
(d) It is a miracle.
11. Why does Sir Percival lock Laura in her room?
(a) All of these.
(b) She plans a meeting with Anne.
(c) She will not sign his papers.
(d) She does not trust him.
12. What is Pesca proud of being?
(a) "A perfect Englishman".
(b) "A generous European".
(c) "A noble town crier".
(d) "Mobile and carefree".
13. Laura admits to Marian a secret love for who?
(a) Sir Percival.
(d) The gardner.
14. What disturbs Walter about Mrs. Catherick's reaction to Sir Percival's death?
(a) Her belief that Walter was involved.
(b) Her grief over the man.
(c) Her request for proof.
(d) Her laughter.
15. Following Marian's letter to Mr. Fairlie, who visits him personally?
(a) Sir Percival.
(c) Anne Catherine.
(d) Count Fosco.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Walter choose to keep Sir Percival's secret?
2. At Sir Percival's home, what type of animal does Mariam discover dying?
3. Why does Sir Percival drive to the train station in the middle of the night?
4. Who suggest Sir Percival withdraw his proposal to Laura?
5. Where do Marian and Laura move to, following Sir Percival's death?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)