|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many dates appear on Laura's headstone?
2. How long has Vincent served as the Fairlie's solicitor?
(a) Five years.
(b) Thirty years.
(c) Fifty years.
(d) Twenty years.
3. Why does Sir Percival drive to the train station in the middle of the night?
(a) He is drunk.
(b) He is picking someone up.
(c) To see if he will get caught.
(d) To scare Marian.
4. Sir Percival tells the Fairlie's he placed Anne in an asylum for what reason?
(a) To avoid disgracing her mother.
(b) She was homicidal.
(c) She was with child.
(d) He wanted to be rid of her.
5. To their landlord, Laura and Marian pretend to be Walter's what?
6. What type of dog does Laura own?
(a) A French bulldog.
(b) A labordoodle.
(c) A poodle.
(d) An Italian greyhound.
7. Why does Anne feel safe revealing Sir Percival's secret to Laura?
(a) She bought a gun.
(b) She is out of the asylum.
(c) She has hired protection.
(d) She's dying.
8. What type of thing bothers Mr. Fairlie?
(b) Bright lights and noise.
(c) All of these.
9. The court determines Sir Percival's death as what?
(a) A suicide.
(b) A homicide.
(c) An accident.
(d) A relief.
10. When Walter first meets the woman in white, she claims she was once happy living where?
(c) Polesdean Lodge.
11. Why does Walter choose to keep Sir Percival's secret?
(a) To protect Laura.
(b) To protect Mrs. Catherick.
(c) Out of kindness.
(d) Out of respect for the dead.
12. In Marian's diary, she mentions a letter in which Walter suspects he is what?
(a) Being followed.
(b) A pawn in a larger game.
(c) Destined to die alone.
(d) Sick with a terminal disease.
13. What coastline does Walter Hartright awaken to at Limmeridge House?
14. After returning from abroad, what won't Laura discuss with Marian?
(a) Her marriage.
(b) Her family.
(c) Her financial situation.
(d) Mr. Fairlie.
15. Why is Mr. Fairlie irritated at having to write a narrative?
(a) His nerves can't handle it.
(b) English is not his first language.
(c) He doesn't like to write.
(d) He is busy seeking revenge on Sir Percival.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the Knowlesbury charges against Walter dropped?
2. Which two women surprise Walter at Laura's grave?
3. Who employs Mrs. Rubelle?
4. Where does Count Fosco pretend to have sent an ill Marian?
5. Joseph Postlethwaite gets punished at school for claiming what?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)