|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Aislinn and her party travel to to attend the coronation?
2. For what purpose does William think Aislinn will serve Wulfgar best?
3. What does Aislinn desire most of all at this point in her life?
4. What is another reason Aislinn is hesitant to go to the royal ceremony?
5. Why is Aislinn particularly grateful for the gifts from Wulfgar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wulfgar do when Aislinn tries to press him into revealing his feelings for her?
2. What is Wulfgar's response to Aislinn's news that she is pregnant?
3. How does Wulfgar respond when Aislinn tells him she has nothing but a ragged dress to wear?
4. Who is discovered to be a traitor at Darkenwald?
5. How are Wulfgar's concerns abated when he sees the newborn child?
6. What is the outcome of the joust between Wulfgar and Ragnor?
7. How does Aislinn use the situation of Wulfgar's gifts of the dresses to press for his feelings about her?
8. What worries does Wulfgar have regarding the new baby?
9. How does Aislinn's state of mind diminish as Wulfgar continues to refuse to marry her?
10. How does Wulfgar surprise Aislinn with a wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the 11th century when the women in the play are living their adult lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they enjoy that 21st century women do not?
Essay Topic 2
Look ten years into the future and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Wulfgar and Aislinn. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, children, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Does Woodiwiss end the book on a note of hope for Aislinn and Wulfgar or the continuance of their struggle to come to terms with the nature and origins of their relationship? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 1,496 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)