|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was a marriage prospect that was considered for Anne?
2. What interest did Henry have in Charles of Austria?
3. What position did Anne Boleyn's father hold?
4. Emperor Charles entered into a marriage contract with __________.
5. How big was the age difference between Henry's daughter and Charles of Austria?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Catherine of Aragon and Henry VIII marry? What happened to Catherine quickly after?
2. How did it come about that Henry was named the head of the Church of England?
3. What are some examples of what Catherine of Aragon was taught as she grew up?
4. After Elizabeth of York's death, what did people speculate about Henry VII remarrying?
5. What is questioned about Catherine of Aragon and Prince Arthur's wedding night? Why?
6. What did Catherine of Aragon say in her speech at the tribunal at Blackfriars in 1529?
7. Who were Catherine of Aragon's parents? What is noted about her mother?
8. What ruined King Henry's plans to marry Princess Mary to Charles V? How did Henry and Catherine feel about this turn of events?
9. What meeting between France and England occurred around 1520? Whom might Henry have met at this meeting?
10. After Arthur's death, what caused Henry VII to back away from the plan to marry Catherine to his son Henry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Tudor England, the setting of the book. What were some of the characteristics of this time period? How did this time period shape the lives of the historical figures in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the historical figures (besides Henry VIII and his wives) which Fraser discusses in the book. Who were they? How did they influence the lives of Henry and his wives?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the tone of "The Wives of Henry VIII." How does Fraser convey this tone? Does the tone change at any point in the book? If so, what events prompt this change?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)