|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What troubled Catherine's parents' marriage?
(a) Her mother's inability to have more children.
(b) Money issues.
(c) Her mother's depression.
(d) Her father's infidelity.
2. What did Catherine of Aragon and Henry name the child born to them in 1516?
3. What age was Catherine of Aragon approaching in the early 1520s?
(a) Thirty-five years old.
(b) Thirty years old.
(c) Forty-five years old.
(d) Forty years old.
4. What did Catherine of Aragon deny about her marriage to Arthur until her death?
(a) It was based on love.
(b) It was illegal.
(c) It was not consummated.
(d) It was consummated.
5. For how many years did Catherine of Aragon live as a hostage of Henry VII?
(a) Four years.
(b) Seven years.
(c) Eight days.
(d) Two months.
6. Around the same time Henry sought a divorce from Catherine of Aragon, what position did parliament decide King Henry held?
(a) Supreme Head of the Church of England.
(b) Son of God on Earth.
(c) Supreme Admiral of the Royal Navy.
(d) Commander of the Judiciary.
7. What did Catherine of Aragon continue to do for Henry though he sought a divorce?
(a) Bake him pies.
(b) Make his shirts.
(c) Organize his daily schedule.
(d) Give alms on his behalf.
8. How big was the age difference between Henry's daughter and Charles of Austria?
(a) Fourteen years.
(b) Nineteen years.
(c) Thirty-two years.
(d) Twenty years.
9. Immediately after Arthur's death, whom was it suggested for Catherine to marry next?
(a) The King of France.
(b) Prince Henry.
(c) King Henry VII.
(d) A previous suitor from her homeland.
10. Who is the author of "The Wives of Henry VIII"?
(a) Alison Weir.
(b) Antonia Fraser.
(c) Margaret George.
(d) James P. Carley.
11. What was the aim of betrothing Catherine of Aragon to an English prince?
(a) To infiltrate the British Army.
(b) To follow through with an old promise between the countries.
(c) To have babies born on English soil.
(d) To forge a treaty between their countries.
12. What interest did Henry have in Charles of Austria?
(a) He wanted Charles to marry his daughter.
(b) He wanted Charles to invest in his new fleet of ships.
(c) He wanted Charles to sign a treaty.
(d) He wanted to learn more about Austria's religion.
13. Why was there particular pressure for Catherine of Aragon's pregnancy in 1518 to result in the birth of a boy?
(a) England would not be taken over by an outsider if a boy was born.
(b) Boys were considered good luck.
(c) Many monarchs around Europe had been welcoming sons.
(d) Henry wanted to have a son to bond with.
14. Catherine of Aragon and Henry's firstborn son died of ___________.
(a) Unknown causes.
(b) A plague.
(c) Scarlet fever.
(d) Rheumatic heart disease.
15. Emperor Charles entered into a marriage contract with __________.
(a) Gemma of Austria.
(b) Eleanor of France.
(c) Isabella of Portugal.
(d) Anna of Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author claim about much of what is widely-believed about Henry VIII's wives?
2. How did Henry and Catherine of Aragon feel about Emperor Charles' decision to marry?
3. In the early 1520s, what became apparent about Catherine of Aragon?
4. Whom did Henry have a son with in 1519?
5. At the tribunal in 1529, what did Catherine claim about King Henry?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)