|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator's grandmother remind him that he has as she prepares to leave for the Dining Room in "In the Kitchen"?
2. The narrator's grandmother tells him in "Hello Grandmamma," "You are still yourself in everything except" what?
3. When does the narrator describe seeing a trapeze artist in "In the Kitchen"?
4. What did the narrator observe Bruno doing the day before in the hotel terrace in "Bruno Jenkins Disappears"?
5. What color mouse does Bruno become in "Bruno Jenkins Disappears"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator escape the kitchen in "In the Kitchen"?
2. What exchange takes place between the Grand High Witch and the narrator's grandmother in "The Mouse-Burglar"?
3. How would you describe the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins?
4. How does the narrator manage to escape the witches in "Metamorphosis"?
5. What does the narrator note about the frogs he encounters in the Grand High Witch's room in "The Mouse-Burglar"?
6. What do the narrator and Bruno decide to do next at the end of "Bruno"? Why?
7. What response does the narrator's grandmother receive when she places Bruno on the table before his parents in "Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins Meet Bruno"?
8. What plan does the narrator develop in order to thwart the witches in "Hello Grandmamma"?
9. Where does the narrator find the vials in the Grand High Witch's room in "The Mouse-Burglar"? How does he obtain one of the vials?
10. How does the narrator escape the Grand High Witch's room in "The Mouse-Burglar"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of the Grand High Witch in the novel. How old does the Grand High Witch appear in her "normal" attire? How does she appear after removing her mask? How would you describe her demeanor?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of the narrator's grandmother's home in Norway. How large is the house that she lives in? How does the narrator feel about this setting? When does he go there?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of the narrator in The Witches. Why do you think this character remains unnamed in the novel? How did the narrator come to live with his grandmother? What relationship does he have with his grandmother?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)