|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator's grandmother ask him about Bruno in "Hello Grandmamma"?
2. What does the narrator's grandmother use to bandage his wound in "In the Kitchen"?
3. What does the narrator use to tap on his hotel room door in "The Mouse-Burglar"?
4. What color mouse does Bruno become in "Bruno Jenkins Disappears"?
5. In what object does the narrator's grandmother put him to lower him to the Grand High Witch's balcony?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the narrator and Bruno decide to do next at the end of "Bruno"? Why?
2. What exchange takes place between the Grand High Witch and the narrator's grandmother in "The Mouse-Burglar"?
3. How does the narrator manage to escape the witches in "Metamorphosis"?
4. How is Bruno Jenkins' metamorphosis described in "Bruno Jenkins Disappears"?
5. How does the narrator escape the Grand High Witch's room in "The Mouse-Burglar"?
6. How do Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins respond to the narrator's grandmother's story in "Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins Meet Bruno"?
7. Where does the narrator find the vials in the Grand High Witch's room in "The Mouse-Burglar"? How does he obtain one of the vials?
8. How does the narrator infiltrate the Grand High Witch's hotel room in "The Mouse-Burglar"?
9. Why does the Grand High Witch call on the elderly witches to raise their hands in "The Ancient Ones"?
10. How does the narrator describe his mission in "The Plan"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the plot structure of The Witches. Where in the novel is the exposition? Where does the rising action begin? Where is the climax of the novel? What information is revealed in the falling action and denouement?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the narrator's grandmother in The Witches. How old is the narrator's grandmother? Where does she live? How does this character differ from other grandmothers for the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Why do the narrator and his grandmother return to England? Where do they live when they return to England? How is this setting described? What are the narrator's feelings about returning to England?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)