|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bruno wearing when he enters the Ballroom in "Bruno Jenkins Disappears"?
2. When does the Grand High Witch say she gave the chocolate bar to the little boy in "Bruno Jenkins Disappears"?
3. What color are the narrator's grandmother's cigars?
4. What vegetable does the narrator's grandmother order with her entree in "In the Kitchen"?
5. What does the Grand High Witch order her subjects to do before letting Bruno in, in "Bruno Jenkins Disappears"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the narrator find the vials in the Grand High Witch's room in "The Mouse-Burglar"? How does he obtain one of the vials?
2. How does the narrator's grandmother respond when she sees his transformed appearance in "Hello Grandmamma"?
3. How does the narrator escape the kitchen in "In the Kitchen"?
4. Why does the Grand High Witch call on the elderly witches to raise their hands in "The Ancient Ones"?
5. How does the narrator manage to escape the witches in "Metamorphosis"?
6. How does the narrator manage to get the Mouse-Maker into the correct pot in "In the Kitchen"?
7. How is the setting of the Dining Room described when the narrator's grandmother arrives there in "In the Kitchen"?
8. What does the narrator note about the frogs he encounters in the Grand High Witch's room in "The Mouse-Burglar"?
9. What exchange takes place between the Grand High Witch and the narrator's grandmother in "The Mouse-Burglar"?
10. How do Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins respond to the narrator's grandmother's story in "Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins Meet Bruno"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting of the Hotel Magnificent. Where in England is this hotel located? Why does the narrator go there with his grandmother? How are the patrons of the hotel described?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the narrator's grandmother in The Witches. How old is the narrator's grandmother? Where does she live? How does this character differ from other grandmothers for the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the qualities of a "real witch." What are the distinctions that the narrator's grandmother makes for how to determine if a woman is a witch or not? Which of these distinctions is the most obvious? Which is the hardest to determine?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)