|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object does the Grand High Witch take out once the narrator has been transformed into a mouse in "Metamorphosis"?
2. Where does the narrator hide when he flees from the witches as a mouse in "Metamorphosis"?
3. Where does the narrator run and hide after exiting the chef's trousers in "In the Kitchen"?
4. What does the narrator use to tap on his hotel room door in "The Mouse-Burglar"?
5. How does the narrator's grandmother transport the narrator and Bruno to the Lounge in “Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins Meet Bruno”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe his mission in "The Plan"?
2. How does the narrator describe his transformation in "Metamorphosis"?
3. How does the Grand High Witch detail the witches' agenda in "The Ancient Ones"?
4. What does the narrator note about the frogs he encounters in the Grand High Witch's room in "The Mouse-Burglar"?
5. Where does the narrator find the vials in the Grand High Witch's room in "The Mouse-Burglar"? How does he obtain one of the vials?
6. What plan does the narrator develop in order to thwart the witches in "Hello Grandmamma"?
7. Who is Bruno Jenkins? What are the narrator's opinions of this character?
8. How is the setting of the Dining Room described when the narrator's grandmother arrives there in "In the Kitchen"?
9. How does the narrator manage to escape the witches in "Metamorphosis"?
10. What do the narrator and Bruno decide to do next at the end of "Bruno"? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the qualities of a "real witch." What are the distinctions that the narrator's grandmother makes for how to determine if a woman is a witch or not? Which of these distinctions is the most obvious? Which is the hardest to determine?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the narrative style of The Witches. Why do you think the author chooses to relate the novel from a first-person perspective? How would the story change if it were related from a third-person narrator? Is the story related in the past or present tense? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the ingredients for Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker. What is the main purpose for each ingredient in the potion? How long does the potion take until it begins to have effects? How long does the transformation last?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)