|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Grand High Witch do after announcing her plan to her subjects in "Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker"?
2. What kind of egg is added when making Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker?
3. What word from "The Recipe" means smug or braggartly?
4. What happened to the fifth child the grandmother describes who was taken by witches?
5. What is the name of the manager of the Hotel Magnificent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator's grandmother describe the Secret Society of Witches in "The Grand High Witch"?
2. How is the woman who leads the meeting described when she first steps up to the podium in "Frizzled like a Fritter"?
3. What role does Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker play in the Grand High Witch's plan?
4. Where do the narrator and his grandmother go in "Summer Holidays"? Why?
5. Why do the narrator and his grandmother return to England in "The Grand High Witch"? Where do they live?
6. What oddities does the narrator note about the women in the Banquet hall in "The Meeting"? How does he respond?
7. What happens to the witch who questions the Grand High Witch in "Frizzled like a Fritter"?
8. How does the narrator come to live with his grandmother?
9. What does the Grand High Witch order her subjects to do after she has ensured the door is locked in "Frizzled like a Fritter"?
10. Why is the narrator in the Banquet hall when the women begin their meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting of the Hotel Magnificent. Where in England is this hotel located? Why does the narrator go there with his grandmother? How are the patrons of the hotel described?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the qualities of a "real witch." What are the distinctions that the narrator's grandmother makes for how to determine if a woman is a witch or not? Which of these distinctions is the most obvious? Which is the hardest to determine?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Grand High Witch's plan for eradicating the children of England. Why does she want to do this? How does she instruct her subjects to her plan? What is the outcome of the plan?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)