|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long must one boil the first ingredient of Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker in order to make it soft?
2. About how old is the woman who stands on the platform described as in "Frizzled Like a Fritter"?
3. What is the third thing the Grand High Witch tells her subjects to remove in "Frizzled Like a Fritter"?
4. Who is the third child that the narrator's grandmother knows of who was taken by witches?
5. What is the first ingredient for the Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Grand High Witch tell her subjects to quit their jobs when they return home in "Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker"?
2. What is notable about the way witches walk, according to the narrator's grandmother?
3. How is the woman who leads the meeting described when she first steps up to the podium in "Frizzled like a Fritter"?
4. What happens when the strange woman approaches the narrator in "The Grand High Witch"?
5. Why does the Grand High Witch express anger at her subjects at the meeting in "Frizzled like a Fritter"?
6. Describe the narrator and protagonist of The Witches. How old is he? Where does he live?
7. How does the narrator describe the appearance and behavior of "real witches" in "A Note About Witches"?
8. What are the main ingredients described in "The Recipe"?
9. How is the Grand High Witch's face described when she takes off her mask?
10. Describe the narrator's grandmother. How old is she? Where does she live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the narrator discovered when he is in hiding at the Annual Meeting of the Society of Witches? What does he do when he is discovered? What happens to the narrator when he is unable to escape?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the narrator's actions, objectives, and obstacles when he goes to put the potion into the witches' food in the novel. How does the narrator get into the Kitchen and to the correct dish? How does he escape? What obstacles does he face?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of identity and family in The Witches. How does the narrator come to terms with his identity and what does he say about his future as a mouse? What is the most important thing to the narrator at the end of the story? Why?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)