|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Grand High Witch discern about the mice on the platform in "The Recipe"?
2. What is notable about a witch's feet, according to the narrator's grandmother in "How to Recognize a Witch"?
3. What does the Grand High Witch do to the mice on the platform in "The Recipe"?
4. What is the "motto of all witches," according to the narrator in "A Note About Witches"?
5. Where is the narrator's grandmother from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the strange woman approaches the narrator in "The Grand High Witch"?
2. How does the Grand High Witch respond when she encounters the narrator's mice on the podium in "The Recipe"?
3. Why does the Grand High Witch tell her subjects to quit their jobs when they return home in "Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker"?
4. What does the Grand High Witch order her subjects to do after she has ensured the door is locked in "Frizzled like a Fritter"?
5. What is notable about witches from different countries, according to the narrator's grandmother in "The Grand High Witch"?
6. Why do witches always wear wigs and gloves, according to the narrator's grandmother?
7. What are the narrator's initial impressions of the women who enter the Banquet hall in "The Meeting"?
8. How does the narrator's grandmother describe the Secret Society of Witches in "The Grand High Witch"?
9. How does the narrator describe the appearance and behavior of "real witches" in "A Note About Witches"?
10. What are the main ingredients described in "The Recipe"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Grand High Witch's plan for eradicating the children of England. Why does she want to do this? How does she instruct her subjects to her plan? What is the outcome of the plan?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of the Hotel Magnificent. Where in England is this hotel located? Why does the narrator go there with his grandmother? How are the patrons of the hotel described?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of deceptive appearances in The Witches. How is this theme illustrated through the witches themselves? How is this theme explored through the narrator's character? How does it apply to Bruno?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)