|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Grand High Witch instruct her subjects to boil the tailless mice in when making Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker?
2. The narrator's grandmother tells him in "My Grandmother" that she knows of no less than how many children that have disappeared and been taken by the witches?
3. How long does the transformation last that is caused by "Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker"?
4. What color is the magical formula called "Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker"?
5. Who is the second of the children that the narrator's grandmother knows of who was taken by witches?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the main ingredients described in "The Recipe"?
2. How is the woman who leads the meeting described when she first steps up to the podium in "Frizzled like a Fritter"?
3. Why is the narrator in the Banquet hall when the women begin their meeting?
4. Where do the narrator and his grandmother go in "Summer Holidays"? Why?
5. Why does the Grand High Witch express anger at her subjects at the meeting in "Frizzled like a Fritter"?
6. Why do the narrator and his grandmother return to England in "The Grand High Witch"? Where do they live?
7. What are the narrator's initial impressions of the women who enter the Banquet hall in "The Meeting"?
8. What happened to the five children that the grandmother describes who were taken by witches in "My Grandmother"?
9. What is notable about witches from different countries, according to the narrator's grandmother in "The Grand High Witch"?
10. Why does the Grand High Witch tell her subjects to quit their jobs when they return home in "Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the narrator's first encounter with a witch. When and where does this encounter take place? What does the witch look like? What does she offer the narrator? How is he "rescued" from the situation?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the ingredients for Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker. What is the main purpose for each ingredient in the potion? How long does the potion take until it begins to have effects? How long does the transformation last?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Bruno Jenkins. What history does the narrator have with Bruno before his character is introduced at the Annual Meeting of the Witches? What are the narrator's feelings about Bruno? How do Bruno's actions in the story reveal his character?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)