|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Grand High Witch do to the mice on the platform in "The Recipe"?
2. What does the Grand High Witch order her subjects to do immediately upon returning to their home towns in "Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker"?
3. How many encounters with witches does the narrator describe having before he was eight years old in "My Grandmother"?
4. What happened to the third child that the grandmother knew who was taken by witches?
5. What is the name of the manager of the Hotel Magnificent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Grand High Witch express anger at her subjects at the meeting in "Frizzled like a Fritter"?
2. How does the Grand High Witch respond when she encounters the narrator's mice on the podium in "The Recipe"?
3. What role does Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker play in the Grand High Witch's plan?
4. What happened to the five children that the grandmother describes who were taken by witches in "My Grandmother"?
5. Why does the Grand High Witch tell her subjects to quit their jobs when they return home in "Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker"?
6. Why do the narrator and his grandmother return to England in "The Grand High Witch"? Where do they live?
7. What oddities does the narrator note about the women in the Banquet hall in "The Meeting"? How does he respond?
8. How does the narrator's grandmother describe the Secret Society of Witches in "The Grand High Witch"?
9. What is notable about the way witches walk, according to the narrator's grandmother?
10. What happens when the strange woman approaches the narrator in "The Grand High Witch"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the narrator's actions, objectives, and obstacles when he goes to put the potion into the witches' food in the novel. How does the narrator get into the Kitchen and to the correct dish? How does he escape? What obstacles does he face?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of the narrator's grandmother's home in Norway. How large is the house that she lives in? How does the narrator feel about this setting? When does he go there?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Grand High Witch's plan for eradicating the children of England. Why does she want to do this? How does she instruct her subjects to her plan? What is the outcome of the plan?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)