|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says in "A Note About Witches" that ghouls and barghests are always what?
2. Where does the narrator say his father owned a business in "My Grandmother"?
3. What does the narrator's grandmother say American witches are capable of making grown-ups do in "The Grand High Witch"?
4. What is the woman on the platform wearing in "Frizzled Like a Fritter"?
5. What does the Grand High Witch do to the mice on the platform in "The Recipe"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Grand High Witch respond when she encounters the narrator's mice on the podium in "The Recipe"?
2. What role does Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker play in the Grand High Witch's plan?
3. What is notable about the way witches walk, according to the narrator's grandmother?
4. Describe the narrator and protagonist of The Witches. How old is he? Where does he live?
5. Where do the narrator and his grandmother go in "Summer Holidays"? Why?
6. Why is the narrator in the Banquet hall when the women begin their meeting?
7. How does the narrator's grandmother describe the Secret Society of Witches in "The Grand High Witch"?
8. What are the narrator's initial impressions of the women who enter the Banquet hall in "The Meeting"?
9. What are the main ingredients described in "The Recipe"?
10. Why do the narrator and his grandmother return to England in "The Grand High Witch"? Where do they live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the narrator discovered when he is in hiding at the Annual Meeting of the Society of Witches? What does he do when he is discovered? What happens to the narrator when he is unable to escape?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the plot structure of The Witches. Where in the novel is the exposition? Where does the rising action begin? Where is the climax of the novel? What information is revealed in the falling action and denouement?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of the Grand High Witch in the novel. How old does the Grand High Witch appear in her "normal" attire? How does she appear after removing her mask? How would you describe her demeanor?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)