|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henry's condition when Rowena checks on him after getting home?
2. What happens when Rowena's parents investigate?
3. What does Rowena mutter when Adam sits behind her in class?
4. What does Rowena wonder about Polly?
5. What does Pa do when the people of Coven Tree arrive to help?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adam hear about the well on his family's farm and what does he suggest to his pa about the situation?
2. What do Rowena's parents hear and then learn when they investigate?
3. What does Sam bring back for Henry and what does he say when Rowena tells Sam about what Henry said to her?
4. What will happen eventually if the water does not stop flowing?
5. What greets Adam when he wakes the next morning?
6. What does Adam start doing for his mother and how does he frighten himself?
7. What happens when Polly becomes desperate?
8. What does Rowena tell Henry and Sam and what is Henry's response?
9. How is Henry when Rowena returns from the party?
10. How does Rowena learn the truth about Henry's actions to her when he would visit Rowena's pa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Rick and Lon. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Lon and Nuke. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "The Wish Giver" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "The Wish Maker".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "The Wish Maker". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "The Wish Maker". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)