|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thaddeus say he can give anyone for fifty cents?
2. Where do Blinn's customers have to press their thumb?
3. How is Coven Tree described?
4. What does Rowena hear in the woods near her house?
5. What does Polly resolve to do no matter what that night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the community of Coven Tree described in the Prologue?
2. What happens to Polly at recess and how do Leland and Lenora help her?
3. What does Rowena take Henry for breakfast and how does he like it?
4. What does Polly decide about her card and what happens?
5. What is the Coven Tree Church Social and who is allowed to set up a booth there?
6. What does Polly overhear at Stew Meat's store and what does she decide to do?
7. With whom does Polly play near the river and how are her friends described?
8. What does Polly talk about at tea, and what do Eunice and Agatha talk about?
9. How does Polly react to Leland's shout scaring the frog and what do the twins do?
10. What does each story chronicle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Wish Giver belongs to the children's book genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the children's book genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a children's book and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "The Wish Giver". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Brittain chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Brittain chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Brittain's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Brittain use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)