|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Adam doubt about Uncle Poot?
(a) That he can build a better dam than Adam.
(b) That he really knows anything about engineering.
(c) That he will arrive this time since he did not last time.
(d) That he can actually dowse for water.
2. What does Sam find near Henry?
(a) A bag of cookies.
(b) A letter from a lawyer.
(c) A bag of gold.
(d) Henry's briefcase.
3. What do Adam's parents realize?
(a) The water has stopped gushing.
(b) The water has disappeared.
(c) The well is dry again.
(d) The cellar is dry.
4. What does Adam's mother say when he tries to tell his parents about his wish?
(a) She tells Adam the flood is all his fault.
(b) She tells Adam to be quiet.
(c) She tells Adam it is not his fault.
(d) She tells Adam that he can not go to college now since they have probably lost the farm.
5. What happens when Adam and Pa load the cookstove to take it away from the valley?
(a) It causes the wood to catch fire on the raft.
(b) It breaks apart when the water hits its hot surface.
(c) It burns Adam's hands.
(d) It breaks the raft.
6. What does Adam dig for his mother's garden?
(a) Rows and mounds.
(b) Holes for her to plant daffodils.
(c) Holes for her to plant dahlias.
(d) Holes for fence posts.
7. What does Pa do when the people of Coven Tree arrive to help?
(a) Tells them what needs to be done.
(b) Cries in gratitude.
(c) Yells at them.
(d) Refuses their aid.
8. What do Adam and his father do with the excess water?
(a) Put it in tanks.
(b) They do not know what to do.
(c) Channel it away from the fields.
(d) Let it lie in the pond.
9. What does Rowena hear about Adam Fiske?
(a) That water suddenly appears on his farm.
(b) That he is dying.
(c) That his father has left them.
(d) That his farm has burned up.
10. Upon whom has Rowena come to rely?
(c) Her father.
11. Where does the Epilogue open?
(a) Stew Meat's Store.
(b) By Henry in the woods.
(c) Adam's family farm.
(d) At school.
12. What does Rowena say to Sam about Henry?
(a) That he is a nice man.
(b) That he is a con man.
(c) That she now sees him as he really is.
(d) That he does not deserve to be a tree.
13. What does Rowena wonder about Polly?
(a) If Polly is also in trouble from using her card.
(b) If Polly would try to help her.
(c) If Polly is mad at her.
(d) If Polly has been able to reverse the effect of using the card.
14. What does Adam happily contemplate as he goes to sleep?
(a) How smart Agatha will think he is.
(b) Never having to haul water again.
(c) How smart Eunice will think he is.
(d) That maybe Leland will help him with the school work he missed.
15. What does Adam learn from his father as he goes to bed?
(a) The water is almost to the top of the basement.
(b) The townspeople are trying to help build a sandbag wall.
(c) The water seems to be slowing.
(d) Water is coming in the basement.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stew Meat about to do at the opening to the Epilogue?
2. What does Ma tell Adam when he comes to breakfast?
3. Why is the farm in danger?
4. What does Adam's father refuse to do?
5. Why is Rowena unable to go anywhere?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)