|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Isaacson indicate two crises confronted the Kennedy Adminstration in 1961?
2. Who were two of the "Six Wise Men" that Isaacson reported had withdrawn their support for the war in Vietnam by the summer of 1967?
3. Why does Isaacson suggest Joseph Stalin of the Soviet Union and Mao Tse Tung of China gave support to North Korea's invasion of South Korea?
4. What does Isaacson write of what became of the "Six Wise Men" after Dwight D. Eisenhower was elected president in 1952?
5. When did the Soviet Union begin its "clampdown" on Czechoslovakia, according to Isaacson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What organization did John McCloy help to form that became the precursor to the European Common Market, according to Isaacson?
2. What was the suggestion that Dean Acheson made regarding the future of freedom if Turkey and Greece fell into the influence of Soviet Communism, according to Isaacson?
3. What does Isaacson claim made President Dwight D. Eisenhower's Secretary of State, John Foster Dulles, attractive to the eastern foreign policy Establishment?
4. What does Isaacson claim to be Stalin's reaction to the Marshall Plan?
5. What does Isaacson report to have been General Douglas MacArthur's proposal to stop the flow of Chinese Soldiers into the war between North and South Korea?
6. What does Isaacson claim to be the North Vietnamese offensive that made the Johnson Administration realize America needed to get out of the Vietnam War?
7. What was Dean Acheson's view regarding America's involvement in Vietnam, according to Isaacson?
8. How many coups were conducted in Vietnam in less than a year between 1963 and 1964, according to Isaacson?
9. What scandal does Isaacson report to have come to the Truman Administration's state department in January 1950?
10. What does Isaacson claim Winston Churchill offered as a suggestion for a solution to Soviet expansionism in his "Iron Curtain" speech in Missouri?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry Truman committed American soldiers to fight the war in Korea without a Congressional declaration. What are the constitutional requirements for committing American soldiers to war? How did the Truman Administration justify the action to Congress? Who benefited from this decision? What have been the long-term effects of using American soldiers to fight undeclared wars beyond the oversight of Congress? Who carries the responsibility for these effects, the presidency or Congress?
Essay Topic 2
The Soviet Union was an ally of Nazi Germany before the U.S. entered WWII, but sought out U.S. and British support after Germany invaded it. Use details from the book that suggest:
a. American support for enemies of Nazi Germany was bringing America to the brink of the European war.
b. The Soviets would manipulate the alliance with the U.S. and Britain for their own benefit.
c. How the war time alliance between the Soviet Union and the U.S. foretold conflict for the future.
Essay Topic 3
Upon the dropping of the atom bomb on Hiroshima, the crew of the Enola Gay realized the power of the weapon. Trace the steps that led to the decision to use the atom bomb on Japan with information from the book. Consider the situation Japan faced after the surrender of Germany and Italy in Europe. Was the use of the atom bomb necessary to bring Japan to face its defeat? Why or why not? What reasons are cited in The Wise Men for making the decision to use the atom bomb? Do these reasons justify the destruction that was brought on the general populations of those two cities?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)