|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the organization that eventually replaced the Office of Strategic Services, according to Isaacson?
2. What does Isaacson report to be the entry in the Enola Gay log book by co-pilot Robert Lewis after the explosion of the atomic bomb over Hiroshima?
3. Who does Isaacson claim that Dean Acheson, Robert Lovett, and John McCloy suggested for President-Elect Kennedy's Secretary of State?
4. What does Isaacson record that Mao claimed to be the source of Chinese soldiers in North Korean combat units?
5. What does Isaacson claim that Averell Harriman and his Wall Street contemporaries believed to be the best guarantee for American security?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Isaacson explain the changes in the military policy of the Truman Administration once it became clear the Soviet Union had nuclear weapons?
2. What does Isaacson claim Clark Clifford wrote in a campaign strategy memo regarding the affect of the Soviet clampdown on Czechoslovakia on the reelection chances of President Truman?
3. Who did President Kennedy choose to act as his chief negotiator at the International Control Commission talks on Laos, according to Isaacson?
4. What organization did John McCloy help to form that became the precursor to the European Common Market, according to Isaacson?
5. What scandal does Isaacson report to have come to the Truman Administration's state department in January 1950?
6. What does Isaacson report to be the entry into the logbook of the Enola Gay to record the dropping of the atomic bomb over Hiroshima?
7. Who does Isaacson claim that Dean Acheson supported for the 1960 Democrat Presidential nomination over John F. Kennedy?
8. What did Isaacson identify as George Kennan's recommended next phase for dealing with communist expansionism after he felt that his plan for containment was working?
9. To what event did President Truman compare the Soviet clampdown on Czechoslavakia in 1948, according to Isaacson?
10. What does Isaacson claim to be Stalin's reaction to the Marshall Plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph Stalin is very prominent in the development of American foreign policy regarding the Soviet Union. Was American foreign policy developed with regard to American interests or as reactions to Stalin's personality, demands, and aggression against domestic political enemies and satellite states to the Soviet Union? If you choose the answer that policy regarding Stalin's Soviet Union was made in defense of American interests, support your position with evidence from the book and outside sources. If you consider that foreign policy was made as a reaction to Stalin, support your position with evidence and suggest how the government could have acted more for the benefit of the nation.
Essay Topic 2
Franklin Roosevelt chose Harry Truman as his running mate for his final election in 1944 when his health was failing and it appeared he would not survive his final term. Vice President Truman was not included in decisions regarding the end of the war or agreements with allies. Do you believe this was an oversight or by design? How did the "Wise Men" benefit from the exclusion of Truman from important policy decisions? How did this exclusion affect the future of foreign policy? Support your position with evidence from the book and other reliable sources.
Essay Topic 3
Dean Acheson and John McCloy followed different legal careers to become very important influences throughout the presidencies of Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Truman. Explain how their different legal experiences and connections led to their accessing positions through which they shaped policies from the 1930's throughout the 1970's.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)