|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the focus of the agreement after the initial meeting between Roosevelt and Churchill, according to Isaacson?
(a) The United States would provide England with resources and war material at very favorable terms.
(b) Neither Britain nor the U.S. would attack each other or allies of each.
(c) The nations of Western Europe would join in alliance to protect each other against intrusions from communist nations.
(d) Free trade and free people and self-determination for all nations.
2. What does Isaacson report to be the differences between the negotiating styles of Roosevelt and Truman?
(a) Roosevelt was high strung, but Truman was contemplative.
(b) Roosevelt was indifferent, but Truman was sensitive.
(c) Roosevelt could be manipulative and conniving with people and public opinion, but Truman was forthright to the point of bluntness.
(d) Roosevelt eschewed advice, but Truman ruled by consensus.
3. What agreement does Isaacson record Roosevelt and Churchill made during their initial meeting after America's entry into WWII?
(a) The Atlantic Charter.
(b) The Non Aggression Pact.
(d) Lend Lease.
4. Who was the Supreme Court Justice for whom Dean Acheson clerked?
(a) Louis Brandeis.
(b) Mahlon Pitney.
(c) James Clark McReynolds.
(d) William Howard Taft.
5. What was one of the first challenges facing the Truman Administration in dealing with the Soviet Union after WWII, according to Isaacson?
(a) Dealing with Soviet front groups in the United States.
(b) Slowing the influence of Soviet communism over the Maoist movement in China.
(c) Trying to prevent the Soviet Union from taking German industrial equipment and charging reparations against Germany.
(d) Blocking the Soviet Union from attempting to set terms of peace with Japan.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did John McCloy come into contact with Averell Harriman and Robert Lovett?
2. According to Isaacson, what event took place between Harriman and the person with whom he was sharing responsibility that foreshadowed the role of the two countries they represented in their places in Western leadership?
3. What does Isaacson suggest was a practical challenge that Truman faced when he began his presidency?
4. What was Bohlen's first assignment after he completed training in his field, according to Issacson?
5. How did George Kennan develop his connection to Russia according to Isaacson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Isaacson report to be a prerequisite for being tapped for Skull and Bones at Yale?
2. How does Isaacson claim that Robert Lovett's father started in his work for E.H. Harriman?
3. What were the major declarations of the Atlantic Charter, according to Isaacson?
4. What does Isaacson report to be Averell Harriman's first achievement after he was named as transportation adviser to the National Defense Advisory Commission by President Franklin Roosevelt?
5. What does Isaacson claim motivated George Kennan to apply for a job with the foreign service?
6. Which of the "Six Wise Men" does Isaacson report came to know the family of another through his father's employment?
7. What does Isaacson claim to be Averell Harriman's view regarding Russia building a tier of states friendly to its system in Eastern Europe?
8. Which of the "Six Wise Men" does Isaacson indicate attended Harvard Law School?
9. What does Isaacson report that George Kennan believed Marxism offered to Soviet Russian leaders?
10. Who does Isaacson identify as the two men that Secretary of War Henry Stimson called the "Heavenly Twins"?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)