|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the ratio of students who passed the training for Kennan's chosen field to those who took the course, according to Isaacson?
2. Who coined the term "Iron Curtain" in a cable to President Truman?
(a) John McCloy.
(b) George Kennan.
(c) Winston Churchill.
(d) Henry Stimson.
3. Who does Isaacson report to be the U.S. ambassador to Russia immediately after WWII?
(a) George Kennan.
(b) John McCloy.
(c) Robert Lovett.
(d) Averell Harriman.
4. What does Isaacson claim to the Lovett's and Harriman's most important innovation to the industry for which they were prepared by Judge Lovett?
(a) Establishing radio relay stations to deliver messages to ambassadors in foreign lands.
(b) Developing streamlined diesel locomotives pulling sleek aluminum coaches.
(c) Using ticker tape to relay changes in stock prices.
(d) Using airplanes to quickly relay messages to ambassadors in foreign lands.
5. How did John McCloy come into contact with Averell Harriman and Robert Lovett?
(a) As an advisor with the War Department.
(b) Through the law firm where John McCloy was employed.
(c) While he was directing a law office in Paris.
(d) As a student at Harvard Law School.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isaacson claim to be Harriman's first crusade in his role with the Roosevelt Administration?
2. What does Isaacson suggest was a practical challenge that Truman faced when he began his presidency?
3. What does Isaacson claim to be the purpose of the club that Bohlen joined?
4. How does Isaacson claim Joseph Stalin's temperament changed between Harriman's first and second meetings?
5. What was Bohlen's first assignment after he completed training in his field, according to Issacson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of jobs did John McCloy's mother find for him during his youth, according to Isaacson?
2. What experience in John McCloy's background does Isaacson claim gave McCloy the exposure to Henry Stimson that eventually led to McCloy's appointment to the Department of War as a special consultant on German espionage?
3. Who does Isaacson identify as the two men that Secretary of War Henry Stimson called the "Heavenly Twins"?
4. After WWI, how does Isaacson show Averell Harriman's process of making business deals with Leon Trotsky of Communist Russia?
5. What does Isaacson claim to be Averell Harriman's view regarding Russia building a tier of states friendly to its system in Eastern Europe?
6. What military action did Joseph Stalin demand from his British and American allies once the United States entered WWII, according to Isaacson?
7. Which of the "Six Wise Men" does Isaacson indicate attended Harvard Law School?
8. As the Allied powers began to close in on Germany, what does Isaacson expose to be the main concern of the British and American governments for the post-war era?
9. What was the title does Isaacson claims that John McCloy earned during his career in government and as a corporate lawyer?
10. What does Isaacson report to be the difference between George Kennan's approach to training for the foreign service and that of Chip Bohlen?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)