|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Averell Harriman join the most elite club at Yale according to Isaacson?
2. What does Isaacson report to be the warning the Allied powers gave to the Japanese regarding the dropping of the atomic bomb?
(a) Ads placed in Japanese newspapers warning of coming destruction.
(b) Communiques made to Japanese leaders through their various channels of communication.
(c) Radio interruptions of Japanese airwaves that warned the Japanese of America's possession of, "a weapon of mass destruction."
(d) A vague clue in the Potsdam proclamation describing "immeasurably greater" powers and that, "The alternative for Japan is prompt and utter destruction."
3. Where did Chip Bohlen grow up, according to Isaacson?
(b) New York City.
(c) Grindstone Island, New York.
(d) Aiken, South Carolina.
4. According to Isaacson, who was the President of the United States who thought Russia could be an ally after WWII?
(a) Dwight Eisenhower.
(b) Adalai Stevenson.
(c) Franklin Roosevelt.
(d) Harry Truman.
5. Where did John McCloy attend College according to Isaacson?
Short Answer Questions
1. Isaacson reports which "Wise Man" worked to implement Franklin Roosevelt's Lend Lease program?
2. In what town does Isaacson claim that George Kennan was born?
3. Where does Isaacson claim Averell Harriman was when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941?
4. How does Isaacson claim Bohlen distinguished himself in the service of his first assignment?
5. Who was the State Department's Liaison with the White House during the transfer of power from Roosevelt to Truman?
Short Essay Questions
1. After WWI, how does Isaacson show Averell Harriman's process of making business deals with Leon Trotsky of Communist Russia?
2. What does Isaacson claim to be the "warning" issued through the Potsdam proclamation by the Allied Powers to Japan regarding the dropping of the atomic bomb?
3. What were the roles of George Kennan and Chip Bohlen in President Franklin Roosevelt's successful effort to open official diplomatic relations with the Soviet Union in 1933, according to Isaacson?
4. As the Allied powers began to close in on Germany, what does Isaacson expose to be the main concern of the British and American governments for the post-war era?
5. What were the circumstances through which John McCloy came into contact with Averell Harriman and Robert Lovett after WWI, according to Isaacson?
6. What were the major declarations of the Atlantic Charter, according to Isaacson?
7. How did Averell Harriman and Robert Lovett come to work together after WWI, according to Isaacson?
8. What does Isaacson report that George Kennan believed Marxism offered to Soviet Russian leaders?
9. Which of the "Six Wise Men" does Isaacson report came to know the family of another through his father's employment?
10. What was the title does Isaacson claims that John McCloy earned during his career in government and as a corporate lawyer?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)