|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quality of Truman's does Isaacson claim was welcomed by the liaison between the State Department and the White House ?
(a) Truman's willingness to accept counsel.
(b) Truman's forthrightness.
(c) Truman's predictability.
(d) Truman's common perspective.
2. What Assistant Secretary of War does Isaacson cite as fearing American isolationism after WWII?
(a) Robert Lovett.
(b) Averell Harriman.
(c) John McCloy.
(d) Dean Acheson.
3. What approach did Wall Street favor regarding the future of Germany's industrial base during plans for the post-war era, according to Isaacson?
(a) Wall Street favored placing German corporations under the control of the American government to reduce the possibility of competition from vigorous foreign markets.
(b) Wall Street favored reviving Germany because of the business opportunities.
(c) Wall Street favored Soviet usurpation of German manufacturing equipment so American manufacturers would have a market advantage in Europe.
(d) Wall Street favored putting German companies under the control of American Corporations to expand markets around the world.
4. What does Isaacson claim to be the purpose of the club that Bohlen joined?
(a) It was called a "waiting" club where members waited to be asked to join a more prestigious club.
(b) To serve as a place at which underclassmen could play rowdy poker games.
(c) It was a "final club" for members who would join no others after coming into it.
(d) To train underclassmen on their place on campus.
5. What exclusive club did Chip Bohlen join at Harvard according to Isaacson?
(a) The Harvard Lampoon.
(b) The Porcellian.
(c) Skull and Bones.
(d) Sphinx-Kalumet Club.
6. When did Averell Harriman join the most elite club at Yale according to Isaacson?
7. Which president does Isaacson report Dean Acheson served as Assistant Secretary of State?
(a) Franklin Roosevelt.
(b) Harry Truman.
(c) Dwight Eisenhower.
(d) John F. Kennedy.
8. How does Isaacson report that Averell Harriman's support for the successful presidential candidacy of Franklin Roosevelt was rewarded in 1932?
(a) Roosevelt named him the Chief Administrative officer of the National Recovery Administration.
(b) Roosevelt named him the Ambassador to Russia.
(c) Roosevelt named him Secretary of State.
(d) Roosevelt named him the head of the Council on Foreign Relations.
9. What does Isaacson claim the six men profiled in The Wise Men represent?
(a) The American Establishment.
(b) Ivy League colleges.
(c) New Democrats.
(d) Moderate Republicans.
10. What does Isaacson claim the Secretary of War called Lovett and McCloy?
(a) "The Dynamic Duo."
(b) "The Heavenly Twins."
(c) "The Minnesota Twins."
(d) "Two of a kind."
11. Who wrote the top-secret "recommendations for the use of nuclear weapons"?
(a) Harry Truman.
(b) J. Robert Oppenheimer.
(c) Douglas MacArthur.
(d) Colonel Paul Tibbets.
12. According to Isaacson, how did Harriman respond to Stalin's shifting demeanor?
(a) Harriman was dismayed and threatened to leave.
(b) Harriman was blunt and counseled patience.
(c) Harriman was indifferent and held to his mission.
(d) Harriman was confused and called Washington for advice.
13. Where does Isaacson claim George Kennan served the government in lieu of paying the expenses of attending law school?
(a) The War Department.
(b) The State Department.
(c) The Supreme Court.
(d) The Foreign Service.
14. What does Isaacson cite as the difference between Kennan's and Chip Bohlen's approach to preparing for their chosen field?
(a) Kennan was academic, but Bohlen was impulsive.
(b) Bohlen was very social and enjoyed drinking, but Kennan was studied in seclusion and was a tea-totaler.
(c) Kennan had analytic depth, but Bohlen had a more nimble mind.
(d) Kennan approached his preparations with anxiety but Bohlen enjoyed his time studying for the exams.
15. For what purpose had Robert Lovett's father been grooming him and Averell Harriman since their graduation from college, according to Isaacson?
(a) To help him run his investment banks.
(b) To help him run the Union Pacific railway empire.
(c) To move into foreign service for the government.
(d) To become new masters of the emerging high finance sector of the economy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did John McCloy come into contact with Averell Harriman and Robert Lovett?
2. What agreement does Isaacson record Roosevelt and Churchill made during their initial meeting after America's entry into WWII?
3. Where does Isaacson claim Averell Harriman was when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941?
4. Where did Chip Bohlen grow up, according to Isaacson?
5. What did Isaacson claim to be Kennan's strong areas in his training?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)