|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 18-19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did John McCloy come into contact with Averell Harriman and Robert Lovett?
(a) As an advisor with the War Department.
(b) While he was directing a law office in Paris.
(c) Through the law firm where John McCloy was employed.
(d) As a student at Harvard Law School.
2. Where does Isaacson claim George Kennan served the government in lieu of paying the expenses of attending law school?
(a) The War Department.
(b) The Supreme Court.
(c) The State Department.
(d) The Foreign Service.
3. What scientist suggested the United States should respond to the Soviet Union's possession of the A-bomb by producing more powerful bombs?
(a) David Lilienthal.
(b) Edward Teller.
(c) Robert Oppenheimer.
(d) George Ball.
4. Under whom does Isaacson report Kennan studied for his chosen field?
(a) Angus Crawford.
(b) Alexander Kirk.
(c) William Castle.
(d) Joseph Grew.
5. Who wrote the top-secret "recommendations for the use of nuclear weapons"?
(a) Harry Truman.
(b) Colonel Paul Tibbets.
(c) Douglas MacArthur.
(d) J. Robert Oppenheimer.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did John McCloy and Robert Lovett serve as advisers to the Secretary of War, according to Isaacson?
2. How does Isaacson claim Joseph Stalin's temperament changed between Harriman's first and second meetings?
3. Upon whom does Isaacson claim that Stimson relied to help him achieve his goal regarding the control of the atom bomb?
4. What does Isaacson suggest started becoming a concern to the six "Wise Men" shortly after WWII began?
5. What does Isaacson report to be the differences between the negotiating styles of Roosevelt and Truman?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)