|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the "Wise Men's" father does Isaacson claim worked for E.H. Harriman with Union Pacific Rail Road?
(a) Averell Harriman.
(b) Chip Bohlen.
(c) Dean Acheson.
(d) Robert Lovett.
2. Who does Isaacson report chose Kennan and Bohlen for service in the American Embassy in Moscow?
(a) President Franklin Roosevelt.
(b) The American Ambassador to Russia, William Bullitt.
(c) Secretary of War Henry Lewis Stimson.
(d) Secretary of State Elihu Root.
3. How does Isaacson report that Averell Harriman's support for the successful presidential candidacy of Franklin Roosevelt was rewarded in 1932?
(a) Roosevelt named him the head of the Council on Foreign Relations.
(b) Roosevelt named him the Chief Administrative officer of the National Recovery Administration.
(c) Roosevelt named him Secretary of State.
(d) Roosevelt named him the Ambassador to Russia.
4. Where does Isaacson claim George Kennan served the government in lieu of paying the expenses of attending law school?
(a) The State Department.
(b) The Foreign Service.
(c) The Supreme Court.
(d) The War Department.
5. What does Isaacson claim to be the reason that Harriman and Dean Acheson supported making post-war loans to the Soviets?
(a) Both considered loans to be a show of good faith that the U.S. was willing to work with the Soviets in spite of ideological differences.
(b) Both realized that the Soviet economy was unproductive and felt that loans could nudge the Soviets to a market economy.
(c) Both saw the loans as a means of gaining bargaining leverage with the Kremlin.
(d) Both considered that the friendship of the Soviets could be bought.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did John McCloy and Robert Lovett serve as advisers to the Secretary of War, according to Isaacson?
2. What position did the "Wise Man" who implemented the Lend Lease program eventually take in the Roosevelt administration?
3. What does Isaacson claim the Secretary of War called Lovett and McCloy?
4. Who does Isaacson report to have been the vice president the W. A. Harriman investment firm?
5. What was the ratio of students who passed the training for Kennan's chosen field to those who took the course, according to Isaacson?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)