|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Isaacson report that Averell Harriman's support for the successful presidential candidacy of Franklin Roosevelt was rewarded in 1932?
(a) Roosevelt named him the Chief Administrative officer of the National Recovery Administration.
(b) Roosevelt named him Secretary of State.
(c) Roosevelt named him the head of the Council on Foreign Relations.
(d) Roosevelt named him the Ambassador to Russia.
2. With what country did Bohlen become fascinated during late-night discussions at Harvard?
3. Who does Isaacson report to be the U.S. ambassador to Russia immediately after WWII?
(a) Robert Lovett.
(b) John McCloy.
(c) George Kennan.
(d) Averell Harriman.
4. What does Isaacson claim to be the goal of the "Wise Men"?
(a) To expand the authority of the Federal Reserve Bank over the monetary policy.
(b) To rebuild Europe after WWII.
(c) To scale government back to the limits of the Constitution.
(d) To limit the spread of Soviet Communism.
5. How did John McCloy come into contact with Averell Harriman and Robert Lovett?
(a) While he was directing a law office in Paris.
(b) As a student at Harvard Law School.
(c) As an advisor with the War Department.
(d) Through the law firm where John McCloy was employed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the "Wise Men" does Isaacson report to have negotiated trade deals with leaders of the communist government in Russia in 1922?
2. Where did John McCloy attend College according to Isaacson?
3. What is the reason Isaacson suggests that John McCLoy's mother encouraged him to tutor children of her wealthy clients during summers away from school?
4. Which of the "Wise Men" does Isaacson report to have served in active service during WWI?
5. What exclusive club did Chip Bohlen join at Harvard according to Isaacson?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)