|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Toby Feake, Thomas Lyon and Angell Husted arrive at Will's house armed and angry?
2. Where do Will and Bess live now?
3. What happens with the delivery of a letter from the Dutch Director-General?
4. When Daniel and Toby return, what do they bring with them?
5. Who will be moving to Greenwich, much to Bess' delight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Bess and Will go to New Amsterdam together?
2. How does Telaka prove her loyalty to Bess in Chapter 16?
3. How does Bess disrupt Thomas' attempt to take her land away from her in the name of Robert Feake?
4. What surprising statement does the harsh John Winthrop make just prior to his death?
5. Where do Will, Bess and the children settle into a new home?
6. What spiritual experience does Bess have in Chapter 24?
7. What does Bess do when she and Will are accused of adultery and are about to be parted forever?
8. What does Will discover when he visits Watertown one day?
9. What are some of the underlying reasons for the witchcraft hysteria running rampant in the colony?
10. Why does Toby build on a room to Bess' house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think the trial of Anne Hutchinson reflects more negatively on John Winthrop than it does on Anne? Explain. After some research on the transcripts of Anne's trials, what opinion do you have of her? Was Anne an agitator or someone with pure motives? Why could John Winthrop make no allowances for Anne and just let her lead her own life? Was John's behavior motivated by religion or male dominance?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the irony of John Winthrop's restrictive religious views in the New World. People had fled England for the New World in order to escape religious persecution. Why do religious issues follow them in the person of John Winthrop? What lessons are they being taught? Do you think God wants them to suffer even more for what they believe? Does all religion come at a price?
Essay Topic 3
John Winthrop controls the entire Winthrop family. Obviously, Bess butts head with Winthrop but do any of the other characters defy Winthrop, even in small ways? Explain how Winthrop controls his family including his wife and grown sons. Do you think his family members grow to detest Winthrop as the people in the colony eventually do? Why or why not?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)