|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does John Winthrop receive after he arrives in New England?
2. The local miller named Pond receives a letter from his son in New England who wants to return home because ____________________________________.
3. Why is Anne Hutchinson excommunicated from the church?
4. Who does Bess see one day during a celebration?
5. Who scolds the Indians for attempting to trade while claiming to be friends of the English?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on Fasting Day in Chapter 11?
2. Why do Bess' neighbors think Bess' new maid, the Indian named Telaka, does the works of the devil?
3. What is the symbolism of the celebration held by the people of Boston after John Winthrop's removal from office?
4. What is the relationship of Elizabeth, the main character, to the powerful Winthrop family?
5. What is the sad news that John Winthrop receives after he arrives in New England?
6. John Winthrop's good mood over the preparations for sailing to New England are dampened by what occurrence?
7. Who is William Coddington and what is Bess' opinion of him?
8. What is the mood surrounding the adventure to the new world as Chapter 7 begins?
9. What happens after Harry and Bess make love?
10. What other element of foreshadowing does the author use in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain John Winthrop's position regarding the deaths of Daniel Patrick and Anne Hutchinson. Is it ironic that such a religious man could validate the deaths of these two people? What is his reasoning behind his position? Do you think that instills fear or comfort in the others in the colony?
Essay Topic 2
What are the circumstances leading up to Bess' being accused of being a witch. Do you think Bess purposely invited the suspicion? What could Bess have done differently to avoid suspicion by the neighbors and villagers? How do the accusations and Bess' relationship with Anne Hutchinson make Bess feel about God?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the feelings the Winthrop family must have experienced when they hear reports that people in the New World want to return to England? Do you think they voiced their concerns to John Winthrop? To each other? What trepidation must each one of them experienced? How was Bess' experience different from Margaret's? What would have happened to them if they had refused to board the ship?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)