|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Fones family live in London?
2. How does Bess pass her time at Groton?
3. What do the Indians want from Bess in exchange for beaver hides?
4. Why do Bess and Harry require a special marriage license?
5. Who is voted in as governor of the colony?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Harry and Bess make love?
2. What is the symbolism of the celebration held by the people of Boston after John Winthrop's removal from office?
3. In what way does the Fones apothecary suffer because of their religious beliefs?
4. Why is John Winthrop so interested in going to the New World?
5. Why is John Winthrop worried after his ship sets sail for New England?
6. What would lead to the accusations that Harry's Egyptian servant, Peyto, is a witch?
7. What is happening at Groton Manor which adds to Bess' anguish?
8. Explain the irony in Harry and Bess' efforts to help Peyto escape?
9. Why do Bess' neighbors think Bess' new maid, the Indian named Telaka, does the works of the devil?
10. What is the mood surrounding the adventure to the new world as Chapter 7 begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the purpose of Bess' punishment by her Uncle John. Should the intolerance for anything outside the Puritan religion be extended to the children? Does Uncle John succeed in teaching Bess the lesson he had hoped to or does she take away something completely counter to his purpose? Explain the use of humiliation as a form of punishment and whether or not it accomplishes anything other than inciting hatred toward the one administering the punishment.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the feelings the Winthrop family must have experienced when they hear reports that people in the New World want to return to England? Do you think they voiced their concerns to John Winthrop? To each other? What trepidation must each one of them experienced? How was Bess' experience different from Margaret's? What would have happened to them if they had refused to board the ship?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Anne Hutchinson. What is her role in the colony? Do you think she was tried primarily for heresy or because she was a strong, intelligent woman? Explain. What would have been Anne's eventual fate if she had not been killed in the Indian attack at her home?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)