|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what crime has Peyto been accused?
2. Who scolds the Indians for attempting to trade while claiming to be friends of the English?
3. What does Jack give to Bess to use as a signal that she needs help?
4. Why is Bess drawn to her new friend, Mirabelle?
5. Why does the Fones family not celebrate Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship of Elizabeth, the main character, to the powerful Winthrop family?
2. What would lead to the accusations that Harry's Egyptian servant, Peyto, is a witch?
3. Why is John Winthrop so interested in going to the New World?
4. John Winthrop's good mood over the preparations for sailing to New England are dampened by what occurrence?
5. What are the circumstances of Harry's missing the ship's departure?
6. Why does Bess marry Harry even though she is really in love with his brother, Jack?
7. Why does Fitch, the Fones' family servant, tell Edward Howes that the Fones house is being run by the devil?
8. Why does Bess discuss the topic of Christmas with her father's apprentice?
9. In what way does the Fones apothecary suffer because of their religious beliefs?
10. Who makes an unexpected visit to Bess and her daughter, Joan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Winthrop controls the entire Winthrop family. Obviously, Bess butts head with Winthrop but do any of the other characters defy Winthrop, even in small ways? Explain how Winthrop controls his family including his wife and grown sons. Do you think his family members grow to detest Winthrop as the people in the colony eventually do? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Telaka exhibit such loyalty toward Bess? Telaka had several reasons for betraying Bess and her family yet she does not. Explain her motives. Do you find it ironic that the "savage" Telaka exhibits more kindness and loyalty to Bess than does her own uncle, "the civilized" John Winthrop? Explain why Bess finds her ultimate peace and serenity in the company of Telaka and not from any sermon of John Winthrop's.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the irony of Bess' boredom being married to a lively character like Harry Winthrop. How has the original excitement about Harry diminished? Does Harry even know how to be a good husband based on the father whose example he has had? Could the marriage between Bess and Harry be saved? What would it take to fix it?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)