|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Thomas feel he should have Will's position?
(a) Because he is more experienced than Will is.
(b) Because he has lived in the area longer than Will has.
(c) Because he has more education that Will has.
(d) Because he is the son-in-law of the community's largest landowner.
2. What happiness does Bess have in her life now?
(a) Bess finally has all the money she could ever need.
(b) Her daughter, Hannah, is turning eighteen and is about to be betrothed to a man named John Browne.
(c) Bess is pregnant again with Will's child.
(d) Bess will be able to return to England for an extended visit soon.
3. What are the two sadnesses in Bess' life now?
(a) Bess misses her mother and her sister.
(b) Bess will never see England again and she longs for Jack Winthrop.
(c) Joan has died and Bess is estranged from her granddaughter.
(d) Bess regrets the divorce from Robert Feakes and the death of their deformed baby.
4. With what physical problems is Robert Feake troubled?
(a) Headaches and mental troubles
(b) Joint pain
(d) Digestive issues
5. What has happened to Bess' husband, Robert?
(a) Robert has died of natural causes.
(b) Robert has stowed away on a ship back to England.
(c) Robert has emerged from his dementia.
(d) Robert has spiralled even further into madness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Will Hallet assume in the community of Greenwich?
2. What complications does Bess experience with the birth of her child?
3. Why do Bess and Daniel Patrick go to New Amsterdam?
4. What has happened to Robert Feake?
5. Bess is grief stricken to learn that ________________________ has died.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bess' life change dramatically for Bess in Chapter 16?
2. Where do Will, Bess and the children settle into a new home?
3. How does Bess disrupt Thomas' attempt to take her land away from her in the name of Robert Feake?
4. What would make the villagers accuse Bess of being a witch?
5. What does Bess do when she and Will are accused of adultery and are about to be parted forever?
6. What happens when the new governor refuses to marry Will and Bess?
7. How does Bess meet up again with Will Hallet?
8. In addition to England, what other countries are claiming territory in the New World?
9. What does Will discover when he visits Watertown one day?
10. Why does Toby build on a room to Bess' house?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)