|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Will deliver to Bess?
(a) John Winthrop has named Bess in his will.
(b) He has decided to move away to make her life easier in Pequot.
(c) King Charles has been beheaded and there is no more monarchy in England
(d) He thinks they should return to England.
2. Why are the Indians in the New Netherlands on the warpath?
(a) The Europeans do not make fair trades with the Indians.
(b) The Indians are tired of the Europeans moving in on their lands.
(c) The Indian chiefs have received messages from their ancestors that it is time to wage war.
(d) The Dutch governor, Kieft, massacred Indians who had come to him for help.
3. What happens to all of Bess' assets?
(a) They are distributed to the villagers.
(b) They are impounded on behalf of Robert Feake.
(c) They are put in a safe deposit box.
(d) They are handed over to the church elders.
4. When Daniel and Toby return, what do they bring with them?
(a) The head of Ben Palmer and the dead body of Mianos
(b) The head of Mianos and the murdered corpse of Ben Palmer
(c) The head of Mianos and the dead body of John Winthrop
(d) The head of Mianos and the dead body of Telaka
5. Who will be moving to Greenwich, much to Bess' delight?
(a) Anne Hutchinson
(b) Jack Winthrop
(c) Will Hallet
(d) Robert Seaford
Short Answer Questions
1. Will and Bess organize a festival for which holiday?
2. What does Bell beg Telaka not to tell her tribe?
3. What happens when Will attempts to get approval from the new governor, Stuyvesant, to marry Bess?
4. What happens with the delivery of a letter from the Dutch Director-General?
5. How does Bess perceive her new son-in-law, Thomas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Will and Bess return to New Amsterdam in Chapter 23?
2. Why does Toby build on a room to Bess' house?
3. How does Telaka prove her loyalty to Bess in Chapter 16?
4. What surprising statement does the harsh John Winthrop make just prior to his death?
5. What is the symbolism of Bess' new home in Watertown?
6. What does Bess do when she and Will are accused of adultery and are about to be parted forever?
7. Why do Bess and Will go to New Amsterdam together?
8. What are some of the underlying reasons for the witchcraft hysteria running rampant in the colony?
9. What does the letter from George Baxter represent to Bess?
10. How does Bess disrupt Thomas' attempt to take her land away from her in the name of Robert Feake?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)