|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Will tells Bess about the governor's answer?
(a) Will and Bess abide by the governor's wishes.
(b) Will wants to take some time to think it over.
(c) Bess wants to take some time to think it over.
(d) Will and Bess marry themselves at Will's home.
2. What news does Will deliver to Bess?
(a) John Winthrop has named Bess in his will.
(b) He thinks they should return to England.
(c) He has decided to move away to make her life easier in Pequot.
(d) King Charles has been beheaded and there is no more monarchy in England
3. How does Telaka save the family from the Indians on their journey?
(a) She uses her instincts to avoid the Indians in the woods.
(b) She trades coats for corn.
(c) She is very accomplished with primitive weapons.
(d) She speaks to them and tells them who she is.
4. What role does Will Hallet assume in the community of Greenwich?
(a) He trains a small band of soldiers.
(b) He becomes headmaster at Bess' school.
(c) He becomes a church elder.
(d) He becomes the town's mayor.
5. What has happened to Anne Hutchinson?
(a) She and her family have been massacred by the Weckquasageek Indians.
(b) She has been hanged for being a witch.
(c) She and her family have moved to Salem.
(d) She and her family have returned to England.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to all of Bess' assets?
2. What does John Winthrop think of Daniel Patrick's and Anne Hutchinson's deaths?
3. What prevents the Indians from killing Bess and her family when they attack their home?
4. What does Telaka tell Bess that Telaka's father, Mianos, has done?
5. How do Will and Bess help Jack in exchange for his writing to the governor on their behalf?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Bess and her family saved during an Indian attack on their home?
2. In addition to England, what other countries are claiming territory in the New World?
3. What is the final symbolic representation of Bess' marriage to Robert?
4. How does Bess' life change dramatically for Bess in Chapter 16?
5. What happens when Will and Bess return to New Amsterdam in Chapter 23?
6. What surprising statement does the harsh John Winthrop make just prior to his death?
7. Under what conditions is Bess' divorce from Robert granted?
8. What does the letter from George Baxter represent to Bess?
9. What spiritual experience does Bess have in Chapter 24?
10. What happens when the new governor refuses to marry Will and Bess?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)