|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Will attempts to get approval from the new governor, Stuyvesant, to marry Bess?
(a) Stuyvesant does not grant his approval.
(b) Stuyvesant stipulates a one-year waiting period.
(c) Stuyvesant agrees to marry them immediately.
(d) Stuyvesant extends his blessings on the couple.
2. What does Jack tell Bess about Robert Feakes?
(a) Robert is still in love with Bess.
(b) Robert is in jail in England after confessing to murdering his former apprentice.
(c) Robert has returned to his career as a jeweler in London.
(d) Robert plans to get custody of his children.
3. How do the Feakes children manage to stay well during this winter?
(a) The children drink all of their milk.
(b) Telaka gathers herbs to keep them well.
(c) The children stay in their own home away from other children.
(d) Telaka gives the children vitamins.
4. To where do Thomas and Joan move?
5. What happens when Will Hallet arrives to see Bess?
(a) Bess does not tell him she is pregnant with Robert's child.
(b) Will tells Bess he is engaged to a Boston girl.
(c) They realize they are in love.
(d) Bess tells him to go away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Toby build a room onto Bess' home?
2. Under whose jurisdiction does the Feakes-Patrick land fall after the meeting?
3. How does Bess perceive her new son-in-law, Thomas?
4. Bess delivers her fourth child, a son, and names him ____________.
5. What do Will and Bess realize after they meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bess do when she and Will are accused of adultery and are about to be parted forever?
2. How does Telaka prove her loyalty to Bess in Chapter 16?
3. How does Bess' life change dramatically for Bess in Chapter 16?
4. Under what conditions is Bess' divorce from Robert granted?
5. What spiritual experience does Bess have in Chapter 24?
6. Where do Will, Bess and the children settle into a new home?
7. In addition to England, what other countries are claiming territory in the New World?
8. What would make the villagers accuse Bess of being a witch?
9. What surprising statement does the harsh John Winthrop make just prior to his death?
10. What occurs in Chapter 18 which is a mixed blessing for Bess?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)