|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does John Winthrop decide he is going to emigrate to the new world?
(a) When his business fails
(b) After a meeting of Parliament
(c) During a meeting at Lincolnshire
(d) When his mother dies
2. What has Bess' cousin, Harry, sent from Barbados?
(a) Inferior tobacco
(b) Beaded jewelry
(c) Coconut milk
3. Why is Bess drawn to her new friend, Mirabelle?
(a) She is very smart.
(b) She is free-spirited.
(c) She is religious.
(d) She is very funny.
4. What possession of Bess' does John Winthrop still have in his possession which Bess wants returned?
(a) Her wedding brooch
(b) Her mother's china
(c) Her dowry
(d) Her father's mortar and pestle
5. How does the Fones family travel to the family manor in Groton?
(a) By cart
(b) By boat
(c) By train
(d) By foot
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the overriding religious influence in the group deciding to go to the new world?
2. What does Anne Hutchinson explain to Bess?
3. What personal information does Bess give to Jack?
4. Who is crowned the Queen of May Day?
5. What are the Fones children taught about papists?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Fitch, the Fones' family servant, tell Edward Howes that the Fones house is being run by the devil?
2. John Winthrop's good mood over the preparations for sailing to New England are dampened by what occurrence?
3. Who is William Coddington and what is Bess' opinion of him?
4. Why is John Winthrop worried after his ship sets sail for New England?
5. Explain the irony of the imposition of religious beliefs on people in New England.
6. Why does Bess discuss the topic of Christmas with her father's apprentice?
7. What is the relationship of Elizabeth, the main character, to the powerful Winthrop family?
8. Explain the irony in Harry and Bess' efforts to help Peyto escape?
9. What happens on Fasting Day in Chapter 11?
10. What is the sad news that John Winthrop receives after he arrives in New England?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)