|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the Indian woman Bess takes as a maid?
2. What does Anne Hutchinson explain to Bess?
(a) That God is a vengeful God
(b) That God is love
(c) That Bess' husband has a weak character
(d) That she should be obedient to her husband
3. Why is the Winthrop family in mourning?
(a) Because Anne Winthrop has died
(b) Because Martha Fones has died
(c) Because Thomas Fones has died
(d) Because Sara Winthrop has died
4. What is Bess teaching children?
(a) Basic math
(b) The alphabet
5. How does Bess pass her time at Groton?
(a) She has an affinity for outdoor sports.
(b) She becomes interested in gardening.
(c) She mixes medicines and treats the servants and tenants.
(d) She learns needlework and works on many projects.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what crime has Peyto been accused?
2. What do the children think of Groton Manor?
3. What wedding gift does Harry buy for Bess?
4. Who tells Bess about Harry's death?
5. What is the name of the ship on which John Winthrop sails to New England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Harry and Bess make love?
2. Why has Bess become a controversial and suspicious character among the villagers in Watertown where she lives?
3. Explain the technique of foreshadowing and how the author uses it as Bess enters married life at Groton Manor.
4. What happens at Anne Hutchinson's trial for heresy?
5. Why is Harry not John Winthrop's favorite child?
6. What is it about Anne Hutchinson's beliefs that is so appealing to Bess?
7. What other element of foreshadowing does the author use in Chapter 4?
8. Who makes an unexpected visit to Bess and her daughter, Joan?
9. Why is Groton Manor a wonderland to the Fones children?
10. What is the environment inside Groton Manor?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)