|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does John Winthrop receive after he arrives in New England?
(a) Harry has converted to Catholocism.
(b) Harry has drowned in the Salem River.
(c) Harry has been appointed captain of his ship.
(d) Harry and Bess' child has been born.
2. What are the Fones children taught about papists?
(a) That they and their religion are evil.
(b) That they do not believe in heaven.
(c) That people should go to church twice a day.
(d) That hell exists on earth.
3. What is the name of the ship on which John Winthrop sails to New England?
4. What does Matthew Craddock bring to Emannuel Downing's home?
(a) A case of rum
(b) Fresh tobacco from Barbados
(c) A silk-wrapped charter from England
(d) Two new horses
5. What name does the countess call the Fones family?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose controversial beliefs are causing division in Boston?
2. To what is Bess looking forward?
3. How does John Winthrop react to the news that Jack wants to marry Martha Fones?
4. What kind of mood is evident in the interim period between governors?
5. Why do Jack and Bess need a special license to get married?
Short Essay Questions
1. John Winthrop's good mood over the preparations for sailing to New England are dampened by what occurrence?
2. Why does Bess agree to marry the intellectual and boring Edward Howes?
3. What is the mood surrounding the adventure to the new world as Chapter 7 begins?
4. Who is William Coddington and what is Bess' opinion of him?
5. Why does Fitch, the Fones' family servant, tell Edward Howes that the Fones house is being run by the devil?
6. What is the sad news that John Winthrop receives after he arrives in New England?
7. Why is John Winthrop so interested in going to the New World?
8. What would lead to the accusations that Harry's Egyptian servant, Peyto, is a witch?
9. What is happening at Groton Manor which adds to Bess' anguish?
10. Why do Bess' neighbors think Bess' new maid, the Indian named Telaka, does the works of the devil?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)