|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does John Winthrop react to the news that Jack wants to marry Martha Fones?
(a) He is thrilled by the news.
(b) He thinks Jack is too young to get married.
(c) He is glad that another son will marry a Fones daughter.
(d) He is painfully upset.
2. What does Bess need after visiting Anne Hutchinson's house?
(a) An alibi
(b) Some medicine for a headache
(c) A ride home
(d) A cup of coffee
3. Why does King Charles celebrate Christmas?
(a) Because he enjoys the food.
(b) Because his wife is a papist.
(c) Because he celebrated as a child.
(d) Because he thinks people need a holiday.
4. How many people plan to sail to New England on the first voyage of the Massachusetts Bay Company?
5. What is the name of the ship on which John Winthrop sails to New England?
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what crime has Peyto been accused?
2. Where does Harry decide to stay for awhile?
3. What happens when John Winthrop's iron-fisted style of leadership creates huge opposition in the colony?
4. Bess gives birth to a girl and names her _____________________________.
5. What do the Fones children think of their uncle?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the Fones apothecary suffer because of their religious beliefs?
2. Why is John Winthrop so interested in going to the New World?
3. What happens after Harry and Bess make love?
4. Explain the technique of foreshadowing and how the author uses it as Bess enters married life at Groton Manor.
5. What is the environment inside Groton Manor?
6. What are the circumstances of Harry's missing the ship's departure?
7. Why do Bess' neighbors think Bess' new maid, the Indian named Telaka, does the works of the devil?
8. Why does Bess agree to marry the intellectual and boring Edward Howes?
9. What is the status of John Winthrop's colony in Chapter 10?
10. What happens at Anne Hutchinson's trial for heresy?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)