|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the Winthrop family in mourning?
(a) Because Thomas Fones has died
(b) Because Martha Fones has died
(c) Because Anne Winthrop has died
(d) Because Sara Winthrop has died
2. What does Bess need after visiting Anne Hutchinson's house?
(a) A ride home
(b) An alibi
(c) Some medicine for a headache
(d) A cup of coffee
3. Who does Daniel Patrick take with him to fight Indians?
(a) Jack Winthrop
(b) Will Hallet
(c) Robert Seaford
(d) Robert Feake
4. To what is Bess looking forward?
(a) Raising a child
(b) Sewing some new clothes
(c) Going to Barbados with Harry
(d) Learning to cook
5. What is a papist?
(a) A Roman Catholic
(b) A Methodist
(c) A Scientologist
(d) An Episcopalian
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people in John Winthrop's company have died since their arrival in New England?
2. Who is the eldest of the Fones children?
3. What is the name of the ship on which John Winthrop sails to New England?
4. With whom has John Winthrop arranged a marriage for Bess?
5. What is the name of the ship that Harry's friend, Willaim Pelham, sails on to New England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the environment inside Groton Manor?
2. Explain the irony of the imposition of religious beliefs on people in New England.
3. What is Bess' state of mind in Chapter 4?
4. Explain the irony in Harry and Bess' efforts to help Peyto escape?
5. What is the symbolism of the celebration held by the people of Boston after John Winthrop's removal from office?
6. What is the status of John Winthrop's colony in Chapter 10?
7. What happens at Anne Hutchinson's trial for heresy?
8. What is happening at Groton Manor which adds to Bess' anguish?
9. In what way does the Fones apothecary suffer because of their religious beliefs?
10. What is the sad news that John Winthrop receives after he arrives in New England?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)