|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom is Beth betrothed on Christmas Day?
(a) Edward Winthrop
(b) Jack Winthrop
(c) Harry Howes
(d) Edward Howes
2. Who does John Winthrop's daughter, Mary, marry, much to his chagrin?
(a) His adversary, Samuel Dudley
(b) His best friend, Samuel Dudley
(c) His ship's captain, Samuel Dudley
(d) His spiritual mentor, Samuel Dudley
3. Who does not seem interested in marrying Bess?
4. What will happen to the Winthrop family now that Groton Manor has been sold?
(a) They will all set up household in London.
(b) They will all sail for France.
(c) They will all sail to New England.
(d) They will all sail to Barbados.
5. Who is Bess' stepmother?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Harry fixed for money?
2. Why does King Charles celebrate Christmas?
3. What does Bess prefer to household chores?
4. What are Jack's plans?
5. What is Bess teaching children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances of Harry's missing the ship's departure?
2. What is the mood surrounding the adventure to the new world as Chapter 7 begins?
3. What is the relationship of Elizabeth, the main character, to the powerful Winthrop family?
4. Why does Bess marry Harry even though she is really in love with his brother, Jack?
5. Why has Bess become a controversial and suspicious character among the villagers in Watertown where she lives?
6. Why do Bess' neighbors think Bess' new maid, the Indian named Telaka, does the works of the devil?
7. Why does Fitch, the Fones' family servant, tell Edward Howes that the Fones house is being run by the devil?
8. Explain the irony in the relationships between Bess and her Winthrop cousins, Harry and Jack, who are brothers.
9. Why is John Winthrop worried after his ship sets sail for New England?
10. What is Bess' state of mind in Chapter 4?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)