|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Will do before leaving Watertown?
(a) He stops by a lawyer's office and has his will changed.
(b) He stops by a jeweler's and buys a locket for Bess.
(c) He leaves money for Robert's care and pays for any of Robert's former land holdings in Greenwich.
(d) He makes arrangements for Bess' portrait to be painted.
2. What does Telaka tell Bess when they meet in the woods?
(a) That Will will die by next winter
(b) That Telaka wants to return to her people
(c) That Bess will be tried for being a witch
(d) That Bess will die in the next few months
3. What has happened to Bess' husband, Robert?
(a) Robert has spiralled even further into madness.
(b) Robert has died of natural causes.
(c) Robert has emerged from his dementia.
(d) Robert has stowed away on a ship back to England.
4. Bess' daughter, Joan, marries Thomas Lyon at what age?
5. To where do Thomas and Joan move?
6. How do Will and Bess escape their dire fate?
(a) They are able to convince the governor to reverse their punishment.
(b) They manage to sail to England.
(c) Jack Winthrop rescues them and gives them six acres and a home.
(d) John Winthrop intervenes on their behalf with the governor.
7. What has happened to Robert Feake?
(a) He has almost completely recovered from his madness.
(b) He takes his share of the family money and leaves.
(c) He is confined to his room and must be cared for like a child.
(d) He has been institutionalized for insanity.
8. How does Bess perceive her new son-in-law, Thomas?
(a) He is industrious and wants to get started on a home for Joan.
(b) He is kind but not very smart.
(c) He is lazy and wants to take control of Bess' property.
(d) He is a God-fearing man with strict ideas about marriage.
9. How do Will and Bess help Jack in exchange for his writing to the governor on their behalf?
(a) They help with Indian relations in the area.
(b) They teach his children how to read.
(c) They help with his business dealings and medicines.
(d) They agree to be church elders.
10. Who will be moving to Greenwich, much to Bess' delight?
(a) Anne Hutchinson
(b) Robert Seaford
(c) Will Hallet
(d) Jack Winthrop
11. Why does Telaka bring her brother, Keoferram, to Bess?
(a) To teach him the Bible
(b) To teach him how to speak English
(c) To teach him how to read
(d) To heal a chancre on his leg
12. Why does Toby Feake stop in Plymouth on the trip taking Bess and her family to New Amsterdam?
(a) To buy some tobacco
(b) To attend church services
(c) To buy some rum
(d) So that Bess can buy coats to trade with the Indians
13. What does Will tell Thomas Lyon?
(a) Thomas will need to help Will now that he is Bess' husband.
(b) Thomas is no longer in Bess' will.
(c) Thomas should move out of Bess' house and support himself.
(d) Will has a job for Thomas.
14. What news does Will deliver to Bess?
(a) John Winthrop has named Bess in his will.
(b) King Charles has been beheaded and there is no more monarchy in England
(c) He has decided to move away to make her life easier in Pequot.
(d) He thinks they should return to England.
15. When Daniel and Toby return, what do they bring with them?
(a) The head of Mianos and the murdered corpse of Ben Palmer
(b) The head of Mianos and the dead body of John Winthrop
(c) The head of Mianos and the dead body of Telaka
(d) The head of Ben Palmer and the dead body of Mianos
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only other person who sees the love between Bess and Will?
2. What surprise awaits Bess as she arrives at the governor's mansion?
3. What does Bess do as her only resort for help in her situation?
4. What do Will and Bess realize after they meet?
5. How does Telaka save the family from the Indians on their journey?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)