|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bess happily encounter in Plymouth?
(a) Will Hallet
(b) Daniel Patrick
(c) Jack Winthrop
(d) Robert Seaford
2. What has happened to Bess' husband, Robert?
(a) Robert has emerged from his dementia.
(b) Robert has spiralled even further into madness.
(c) Robert has stowed away on a ship back to England.
(d) Robert has died of natural causes.
3. What does John Winthrop think of Daniel Patrick's and Anne Hutchinson's deaths?
(a) The deaths are a natural consequence of ungodly behavior.
(b) Death is to be expected in a burgeoning country.
(c) The deaths are untimely and tragic.
(d) He is not surprised because they had made many enemies.
4. What does Will discover when he visits Watertown?
(a) Robert Feake has become a church elder.
(b) Robert Feake has set up shop as a jeweler.
(c) Robert Feake has returned and is being cared for by the town.
(d) Robert Feake is the new mayor.
5. Bess delivers her fourth child, a son, and names him ____________.
6. Bess is grief stricken to learn that ________________________ has died.
(a) Jack Winthrop
(b) Margaret Winthrop
(c) Robert Seaford
(d) Anneke Patrick
7. Why do Bess and Will travel to New Amsterdam?
(a) To look into having Robert commited for insanity
(b) To buy more guns for the next Indian uprising
(c) To buy more land surrounding Greenwich
(d) To secure a divorce for Bess, freeing her to marry Will
8. What does Telaka tell Bess when they meet in the woods?
(a) That Telaka wants to return to her people
(b) That Bess will die in the next few months
(c) That Bess will be tried for being a witch
(d) That Will will die by next winter
9. Bess' daughter, Joan, marries Thomas Lyon at what age?
10. What complications does Bess experience with the birth of her child?
(a) Bess suffers a miscarriage.
(b) The child is born deformed and dies soon after.
(c) Bess has to stay in bed for several weeks prior to the birth.
(d) Beth's child is stillborn.
11. Why do Toby Feake, Thomas Lyon and Angell Husted arrive at Will's house armed and angry?
(a) Because Robert Feake did not agree to the divorce
(b) Because they want Bess' property
(c) Because there is talk of another Indian attack
(d) Because Will and Bess have committed adultery
12. What news does Will deliver to Bess?
(a) He thinks they should return to England.
(b) King Charles has been beheaded and there is no more monarchy in England
(c) John Winthrop has named Bess in his will.
(d) He has decided to move away to make her life easier in Pequot.
13. Who is the only other person who sees the love between Bess and Will?
(b) Anneke Patrick
(c) Margaret Winthrop
(d) Sara Congreve
14. Why does Toby Feake stop in Plymouth on the trip taking Bess and her family to New Amsterdam?
(a) To buy some rum
(b) To attend church services
(c) So that Bess can buy coats to trade with the Indians
(d) To buy some tobacco
15. What happens when Will tells Bess about the governor's answer?
(a) Will and Bess abide by the governor's wishes.
(b) Will wants to take some time to think it over.
(c) Bess wants to take some time to think it over.
(d) Will and Bess marry themselves at Will's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happiness does Bess have in her life now?
2. On what grounds will the governor grant Bess' divorce from Robert?
3. What role does Will Hallet assume in the community of Greenwich?
4. What prevents the Indians from killing Bess and her family when they attack their home?
5. How does Telaka save the family from the Indians on their journey?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)