|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bess learn will be arriving soon at Groton?
(a) Emily Fones
(b) Jack Winthrop
(c) Sara Winthrop
(d) Priscilla, Sam, and Martha Fones
2. Why do Bess and Harry require a special marriage license?
(a) Because they are Episcopalians
(b) Because they are cousins
(c) Because they are underage
(d) Because they are papists
3. Why is Bess drawn to her new friend, Mirabelle?
(a) She is very smart.
(b) She is very funny.
(c) She is religious.
(d) She is free-spirited.
4. Where does Harry decide to stay for awhile?
(a) With the Fones family
(b) With his own family
(c) At a nearby inn
(d) With Robert's family
5. What does Bess need after visiting Anne Hutchinson's house?
(a) Some medicine for a headache
(b) A cup of coffee
(c) A ride home
(d) An alibi
6. Why do the men want John Winthrop with them when they go to America?
(a) Because Winthrop is a good merchant.
(b) Because Winthrop is a religious leader.
(c) Because Winthrop has legal knowledge.
(d) Because Winthrop has lots of money.
7. What outrage does Bess commit with the countess?
(a) She asks the countess for payment.
(b) She spills ink on the countess gown.
(c) She calls the countess a name.
(d) She steps on the countess' gown.
8. How many people plan to sail to New England on the first voyage of the Massachusetts Bay Company?
9. What is a papist?
(a) A Scientologist
(b) An Episcopalian
(c) A Methodist
(d) A Roman Catholic
10. What does Thomas Fones, while on his deathbed, ask of John Winthrop?
(a) That he forgive Bess and Harry
(b) That he include Bess and Harry in his will
(c) That he let Bess and Harry return to Barbados
(d) That he give Bess and Harry some money
11. The local miller named Pond receives a letter from his son in New England who wants to return home because ____________________________________.
(a) he is homesick for the gardens of England
(b) he cannot make a good living
(c) so many are sick and many have died
(d) his fiance has died
12. How does Bess pass her time at Groton?
(a) She mixes medicines and treats the servants and tenants.
(b) She learns needlework and works on many projects.
(c) She becomes interested in gardening.
(d) She has an affinity for outdoor sports.
13. Why does King Charles celebrate Christmas?
(a) Because he celebrated as a child.
(b) Because his wife is a papist.
(c) Because he enjoys the food.
(d) Because he thinks people need a holiday.
14. What other name does Elizabeth use for herself?
15. What does Winthrop note about the people who seem to die first?
(a) They are the ones with weak constitutions.
(b) They are the ones who yearn most for home.
(c) They are the smaller ones.
(d) They never really wanted to come on the journey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Indian woman Bess takes as a maid?
2. What vision has Peyto revealed to Bess?
3. Bess gives birth to a girl and names her _____________________________.
4. How is Harry fixed for money?
5. How does the Fones family travel to the family manor in Groton?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)