|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What elegantly dressed man enters the apothecary shop asking for the best tobacco?
(a) Edward Howes
(b) Jack Winthrop
(c) Robert Seaton
(d) Harry Winthrop
2. To what position is John Winthrop elected?
(a) Governor of the Plymouth Bay Company
(b) Governor of Pymouth Plantation
(c) Governor of the Puritan Society
(d) Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Company
3. Who does Bess see one day during a celebration?
(a) Robert Seaford
(b) Robert Feake
(c) Jack Winthrop
(d) Will Hallet
4. What do the children think of Groton Manor?
(a) It is a children's wonderland with ponies, ponds, woods, castle ruins, and an old mill.
(b) It is a boring place because there is nothing for children to do there.
(c) It is too far away from London and they hate the long trip to get there.
(d) It is a frightening place that they have no interest in exploring.
5. Where does Harry decide to stay for awhile?
(a) With his own family
(b) At a nearby inn
(c) With Robert's family
(d) With the Fones family
6. How many people in John Winthrop's company have died since their arrival in New England?
(a) Nearly one third
(b) Nearly one half
(c) Nearly all of them
(d) Nearly three fourths
7. What possession of Bess' does John Winthrop still have in his possession which Bess wants returned?
(a) Her wedding brooch
(b) Her dowry
(c) Her mother's china
(d) Her father's mortar and pestle
8. What is Bess teaching children?
(b) The alphabet
(c) Basic math
9. What is the name of the Indian woman Bess takes as a maid?
10. What is the personality of Anne Fones' mother?
(a) Sick and tired
(b) Pleasant and caring
(c) Stern and formal
(d) Happy and boisterous
11. Who is Bess' stepmother?
12. Who is the friendly Indian the ship's passengers meet in Boston?
13. What has happened to many of the Indians in the area?
(a) They are learning to speak English.
(b) They are almost wiped out due to illness.
(c) They are learning the white man's ways.
(d) They are planting food indigenous to Europe.
14. What does Bess realize shortly after her marriage to Harry?
(a) That Harry is gay.
(b) That she has always loved Harry's brother, Jack.
(c) That she is too young to be married.
(d) That Harry has been married before.
15. What is the name of the ship on which Harry sails to New England?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men need before they can plan their journey to the new world?
2. What really concerns Edward Howes about what is going on in the Fones household?
3. After what group is John Winthrop's new colony patterned?
4. Why does the Fones family live in London?
5. What does Matthew Craddock bring to Emannuel Downing's home?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)