|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the overriding religious influence in the group deciding to go to the new world?
(c) Roman Catholic
2. Why is Bess going to travel to Ipswich?
(a) To shop at a different village
(b) To take Bibles to the village
(c) To speak to the church elders
(d) To take care of Martha who is pregnant
3. What does Fitch, the Fones' servant, tell Edward Howes about the Fones household?
(a) That it is being run by the devil
(b) That there is not enough money
(c) That he needs more help in maintaining the house
(d) That he plans to retire soon
4. Where does Bess live with her new husband?
5. Why is Anne Hutchinson excommunicated from the church?
(a) She has disgraced her husband in public.
(b) She is accused of being a witch.
(c) She has destroyed her Bible.
(d) She refuses to attend church services.
6. What elegantly dressed man enters the apothecary shop asking for the best tobacco?
(a) Harry Winthrop
(b) Jack Winthrop
(c) Robert Seaton
(d) Edward Howes
7. What really concerns Edward Howes about what is going on in the Fones household?
(a) That Robert Seaton may be a Catholic
(b) That Mr. Fones is near death
(c) That Martha is not being tutored
(d) That Bess has fallen in love with Robert Seaton
8. Who has Bess been encouraged to marry?
(a) Edward Howes
(b) Edward Winthrop
(c) Harry Howes
(d) Jack Winthrop
9. To what does Harry admit at dinner?
(a) That he has lost all his money.
(b) That he is in love with Bess.
(c) That the latest tobacco he sent from Barbados was bad.
(d) That he actually did kill a man in Barbados.
10. What vision has Peyto revealed to Bess?
(a) That Bess' baby will die.
(b) That Harry will die.
(c) That Bess will have many children.
(d) That Harry is unfaithful
11. Who does Harry bring with him to dinner?
(a) His servant, Samuel
(b) His Egyptian servant, Peyto
(c) His best friend, Robert
(d) His fiance, Sara
12. Where does the family insist that Harry go instead of returning to Barbados?
(a) To New England
(b) To France
(c) To the Bahamas
(d) To Australia
13. Who is Elizabeth excited to see at the estate in Groton?
(a) Robert and Thomas
(b) Martha and Mary
(c) Anne and John
(d) Jack and Harry
14. What do the men need before they can plan their journey to the new world?
(a) Financial backing
(b) Provisions that will last for months
(c) A crate of Bibles
(d) A good ship
15. What has Bess' cousin, Harry, sent from Barbados?
(a) Beaded jewelry
(c) Coconut milk
(d) Inferior tobacco
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winthrop note about the people who seem to die first?
2. Why does the Fones family not celebrate Christmas?
3. How does the Fones family travel to the family manor in Groton?
4. What does Bess mix in the apothecary shop for a countess?
5. What is Bess teaching children?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)