|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What outrage does Bess commit with the countess?
(a) She calls the countess a name.
(b) She steps on the countess' gown.
(c) She spills ink on the countess gown.
(d) She asks the countess for payment.
2. Who is Jack Winthrop's new wife?
(a) Anne Hutchinson
(b) Elizabeth Reade
(c) Sara Feakes
(d) Elizabeth Congreve
3. What does Matthew Craddock bring to Emannuel Downing's home?
(a) Fresh tobacco from Barbados
(b) A case of rum
(c) Two new horses
(d) A silk-wrapped charter from England
4. How is Harry fixed for money?
(a) He has enough money to live for a week.
(b) He has plenty of money.
(c) He has enough money to live for six months.
(d) He has no money.
5. What wedding gift does Harry buy for Bess?
(a) A new trousseau
(b) A new horse
(c) A cheap brooch
(d) A new home
6. Why does the Fones family live in London?
(a) The Fones' think the schools are better in London
(b) Mrs. Fones likes to go to the theater in London
(c) Mr. Fones has an apothecary business in London
(d) Mr. Fones will not leave his home town
7. What do the children think of Groton Manor?
(a) It is too far away from London and they hate the long trip to get there.
(b) It is a boring place because there is nothing for children to do there.
(c) It is a frightening place that they have no interest in exploring.
(d) It is a children's wonderland with ponies, ponds, woods, castle ruins, and an old mill.
8. What is the name of John Cotton's sermon?
(a) Doctrine of the Spirit
(b) Doctrine of Grace
(c) Doctrine of Forgiveness
(d) Doctrine of Obedience
9. Who is Anne's brother who still lives at home?
(a) John Winthrop
(b) Harry Winthrop
(c) Thomas Winthrop
(d) Robert Winthrop
10. Who does Bess learn will be arriving soon at Groton?
(a) Priscilla, Sam, and Martha Fones
(b) Emily Fones
(c) Jack Winthrop
(d) Sara Winthrop
11. Why is John Winthrop's wife, Margaret, ailing at Groton?
(a) She has given birth to a child.
(b) She is melancholy.
(c) She has tuberculosis.
(d) She has cancer.
12. Who tells Bess about Harry's death?
13. Where does Harry decide to stay for awhile?
(a) With the Fones family
(b) At a nearby inn
(c) With his own family
(d) With Robert's family
14. What kind of mood is evident in the interim period between governors?
15. What is the name of the Indian woman Bess takes as a maid?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does John Winthrop decide he is going to emigrate to the new world?
2. What personal information does Bess give to Jack?
3. Who does Harry bring with him to dinner?
4. What happens when John Winthrop's iron-fisted style of leadership creates huge opposition in the colony?
5. What does Bess need after visiting Anne Hutchinson's house?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)