|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ethan a monument of to Marullo?
2. Why does Ethan refuse to run for town manager?
3. Where has Marullo been feeling pain?
4. Who is the only person who Ethan thinks might know what he has started?
5. How does Joey say he feels on July 1st?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes Ethan's mind about what he wanted to do a the end of the book?
2. What does Ethan do when Biggers comes into the store for the first time after Ethan owns it?
3. What did one of Ethan's fellow officers do to concentrate on the war?
4. What does Margie realize when she flirts with Ethan about paying her for the fortune she read for Mary?
5. Why does Ethan say he does not want to run for the town manager's office?
6. What did Ethan plan to do to make people believe he was in the bathroom during the robbery?
7. How does Mary respond when she hears that Ethan now owns the store?
8. What does Stoney tell Ethan after he talks to Biggers for the first time since owning the store?
9. What does Joey say that shows Ethan his bank robbery might have failed?
10. What does Ethan say July usually is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity is one of the main themes in this book. Where does this theme appear, and how does its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Steinbeck have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)