|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ethan's name listed in town?
2. What was Ethan a monument of to Marullo?
3. Why did Ethan say he took the talisman from the cabinet?
4. What does Mary do when she hears that Ethan owns the store?
5. What does Ethan buy to celebrate while on vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ethan plan to do in his special place at the end of the book, and why?
2. What did Ethan plan to do to make people believe he was in the bathroom during the robbery?
3. What did Marullo do and say when he was deported and why?
4. What does Baker do and say when he sees Ethan after hearing about Danny's death?
5. What does Ethan say July usually is?
6. What does Margie realize when she flirts with Ethan about paying her for the fortune she read for Mary?
7. What does Marullo tell Ethan when he offers to let Ethan take some time off?
8. How does Mary respond when she hears that Ethan now owns the store?
9. What does Mr. Baker say he would do for Ethan if he finds Danny?
10. Why does Ethan say he does not want to run for the town manager's office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Steinbeck have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this novel all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Mary endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)