|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ethan feel when he hears what Marullo said about him?
2. Why does Ethan refuse to run for town manager?
3. What does Allen say he wants to do for a living after winning the contest?
4. Why does Margie think her alimony money is about to stop?
5. How does Margie plan to make her financial situation secure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joey say that shows Ethan his bank robbery might have failed?
2. What does Ethan say July usually is?
3. What changes Ethan's mind about what he wanted to do a the end of the book?
4. What did one of Ethan's fellow officers do to concentrate on the war?
5. What did Marullo do and say when he was deported and why?
6. What does Mr. Baker say he would do for Ethan if he finds Danny?
7. What does Ethan do when Biggers comes into the store for the first time after Ethan owns it?
8. How does Mary respond when she hears that Ethan now owns the store?
9. What big event does Ethan plan to do on July 1st and why?
10. How was Allen's plagiarism discovered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Margie presents a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What is this philosophy, and how does this different idealism affect the people around her?
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security are two themes present in this book. Where do these themes appear, and which characters are most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
Baker and Marullo are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support, write a comparison/contrast essay about these two characters.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)