|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ethan put in his pocket before leaving the house after hearing about Allen's speech being discredited?
2. Why can't Mary relax while on vacation?
3. What date will Ethan's plan come to fruition?
4. Why does Baker think Ethan has been manipulating him?
5. Who notices that the talisman is missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marullo tell Ethan when he offers to let Ethan take some time off?
2. What changes Ethan's mind about what he wanted to do a the end of the book?
3. What does Stoney tell Ethan after he talks to Biggers for the first time since owning the store?
4. How does Mary respond when she hears that Ethan now owns the store?
5. How was Allen's plagiarism discovered?
6. What did Marullo do and say when he was deported and why?
7. What big event does Ethan plan to do on July 1st and why?
8. Why does Ethan say he does not want to run for the town manager's office?
9. What does Ethan do when Biggers comes into the store for the first time after Ethan owns it?
10. What does Margie realize when she flirts with Ethan about paying her for the fortune she read for Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
Honor is something that many of the main characters are striving for in this book. Who is most affected by this pursuit, and how does it change the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Danny become the town drunk, and how does this change in his lifestyle affect the people in his life?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)