|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ethan say is making people look at him differently?
2. How does Ethan travel to work at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Stoney tell Ethan about before he goes to work before Easter?
4. Who does Ethan say is carrying a torch for him?
5. What does Allen tell Ethan he wants to be when they are in the attic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Allen say he wants to be when he grows up, and why?
2. What does Ethan find when he gets to the store on the Tuesday after Easter?
3. What did Mary hear when she had her fortune read?
4. What job does Ethan offer to Allen, and how does he respond to this offer?
5. What does Ethan think may have caused him to become a clerk when he lost his fortune?
6. What is Ethan's strategy to get rid of a bad memory, and where did he learn this?
7. What are Joey's rules of life?
8. What are the possible prizes for winning the contest that Ethan's children want to join?
9. Where does Morphy think Ethan should open up a store, and why?
10. What does Ethan think of when he goes to the old harbor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how do those moments affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)