|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word is used to describe Ethan's children as they head to church on Easter?
2. What does Ethan take to work the day after Easter?
3. What does Ethan tell his wife when he comes home from work at the beginning of the book?
4. What will be built where an old hotel is being bulldozed?
5. What does Margie NOT do while she is at Ethan's house for dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Margie say to Ethan at the beginning of the book, and how does she feel when she leaves?
2. What does Ethan do before he comes home from work at the beginning of Part Two?
3. How is Marullo described at the beginning of the book?
4. What does Ethan say will happen if Baker is able to get Danny's to make him a guardian?
5. What are Joey's rules of life?
6. What does Marullo want to do to save money at the beginning of the book?
7. What does Ethan think about while he is alone after Easter?
8. What does Baker say to Ethan about the investment he wants him to get involved in?
9. What happens when Ethan sees Danny on his way home from the harbor?
10. What does Ethan offer to do to help Danny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
How does Ellen's relationship with her brother change over the course of the plot, and what is the main event that causes their feelings about each other to change so dramatically?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)