|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month will Mary's fortune about Ethan take place?
2. Who used to own the place where Ethan works?
3. What is Ethan's last name?
4. Why does Ethan think Danny turned to drinking?
5. What does Ethan say about Margie when she comes into the store before Easter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the salesman say to Ethan when they speak for the first time?
2. What was Mary's response to the fortune that Margie read for her?
3. What kind of bad things are good men doing in Ethan's town?
4. What does Marullo want to do to save money at the beginning of the book?
5. What is the contest that Ethan's children want to join?
6. What does Mary say when Ethan says he is hesitant to invest with Baker?
7. What causes Ethan to forget to open the store doors the day before Easter?
8. What do Mary and Ethan argue about as they walk home from the Bakers' house, and how does it end?
9. What does Ethan think may have caused him to become a clerk when he lost his fortune?
10. What does Ethan think about when he wakes up on the Saturday before Easter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Allen win his place in the essay contest, and why does he do it? How does this deception change the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Baker and Marullo are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support, write a comparison/contrast essay about these two characters.
Essay Topic 3
Personal identity is one of the main themes in this book. Where does this theme appear, and how does its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)