|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Danny ask Ethan for?
2. How does Ethan travel to work at the beginning of the book?
(a) He takes the bus.
(b) He rides a bike.
(c) He walks.
(d) A drives a car.
3. What does Mary hope the people in town will stop doing to Ethan after hearing her fortune read?
(a) Pitying him.
(b) Laughing at him.
(c) Judging him.
(d) Looking down on him.
4. What is the name of Ethan's home town?
(a) New Baytown.
(b) New Thornton.
(c) New Brunswick.
(d) New Threshtown.
5. What does Ethan say is filling the country at this time?
6. Who taught Ethan most of what he knows about religion?
(a) His wife.
(b) His mother.
(c) Aunt Deborah.
(d) Grandma Lois.
7. What does Mary give Ethan when she comes to the store?
(a) A book.
(b) A grocery list.
(c) A letter.
(d) An envelope of money.
8. Where does Ethan suggest Mr. Marullo go?
(a) New York.
(b) The hospital.
(d) His house.
9. Which of the following is NOT part of the prize for winning the contest?
(a) Meeting the President.
(b) Going on TV.
(c) Free college tuition.
(d) A cash prize.
10. What is Mary planning to do with her best friend at the beginning of the book?
(a) Get a massage.
(b) Have a tarot card reading.
(c) Visit a famous fortune teller.
(d) Go shopping.
11. What does Ethan say he does in his special place?
(a) Takes stock.
(b) Ponders the future.
(c) Remembers the past.
(d) Empties his mind.
12. What does Ethan buy when he goes down to Danny's shack?
(a) A hook and line.
(b) Some fish.
(c) Some new luggage.
(d) A gun permit.
13. What does Ellen ask Ethan the day before Easter?
(a) If he loves her.
(b) If Jesus is real.
(c) If he is going to divorce her mother.
(d) When he will be rich.
14. Where is Ethan's secret place?
(a) In an abandoned school house.
(b) In the attic.
(c) In the basement.
(d) At the harbor.
15. What college did Ethan go to?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Morphy use to keep the back entrance to the bank open?
2. Why does Baker say he has the wives leave when he begins talking about business?
3. What does Ethan do when he can't get to sleep at the beginning of the book?
4. What is Stoney's occupation?
5. Whose advice caused Ethan's family to lose their property?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)