|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nimue is labeled a ____.
2. The priest removes his disguise to reveal ____.
3. Returning to Arthur, Derfel learns that Guinevere is ____.
4. Cuneglas is embarrassed by his father's descriptions of what he will do to Arthur and lurid claims about Guinevere's ____.
5. Preparing to ride northward, Arthur and Derfel talk about their many enemies and fears that ____ may not fight.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Derfel is recognized, describe who comes to his rescue and how.
2. Arthur feels that the war is his fault. Do you agree with that assessment? Why or why not?
3. Do you agree with Arthur's attitude towards his enemies?
4. Do you agree with Nimue being imprisoned as a witch?
5. Explain everyone's attitude towards the Blackshields.
6. Who is Malldynn and what lesson can be learned from Derfel's encounter with Malldynn.
7. Why do you think that Derfel and Galahad became such good friends?
8. Explain what Arthur's reaction is when Gorfyddyd is mortally wounded and whether or not you agree with that reaction.
9. How does Derfel describe the battle of Lugg Vale?
10. Explain how the line between Christians and Pagans are blurred as they all prepare to battle again.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many male characters in positions of power in the novel. Choose any two from the following list and compare and contrast them to each other by writing lists of each character's traits or how they acted in certain situations. Write about two of your favorite characters and why based on that information.
Essay Topic 2
Choose any one of the following 5 characters and describe one example, in detail, of how they played a major role in the story. Also, explain whether or not you agree with their actions at that point in the story and why. If not, what would you have done differently?
Essay Topic 3
Nimue is a major character in the story. Answer the following questions about her.
1. What is Nimue's relationship to Derfel?
2. What is Nimue's relationship to Merlin?
3. What are the first two of three wounds/problems that Nimue encounters that she thinks will make her more powerful and when does she acquire them.
4. Do you feel that Nimue is insane at any points in the story? If not, why not? If so, at what point or points? Use examples from the book to back up your answers.
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)