|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ____ is being sent to the Isle of the Dead.
2. Merlin arranges for a boat and in it is a sealed ____.
3. Sagramor's 150 ____ come into play.
4. To prevent encirclement up the steep hillside, Nimue constructs a ghost ____ of severed heads.
5. As Derfel confronts Tanaburs, who comes to deal with Gundleus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that it was right for Derfel to kill Tanaburs?
2. Do you think it was right and necessary for Merlin to go into hiding?
3. Explain how the line between Christians and Pagans are blurred as they all prepare to battle again.
4. Do you agree with Arthur's attitude towards his enemies?
5. Describe the Isle Of The Dead and Derfel's journey into it.
6. Explain what Cenwin's search for scrolls reveals.
7. How does Derfel describe the battle of Lugg Vale?
8. Explain what Arthur says tot he men before the battle, how the men react and what that says about Arthur's strength of character.
9. Explain what Queen Igraine thinks of Derfel's love for Ceinwyn and why Derfel takes offense to her opinion.
10. Explain how Arthur feels in this section of the book.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The entire novel is told from Derfel's perspective, but perspective can alter the way a story is remembered or retold.
Part 1: How accurate or inaccurate do you think Derfel's perspective was throughout the story and why?
Part 2: Do you think that Derfel told the story with a specific emphasis on one particular theme, such as love, religion or honor, or do you think he told a well-rounded story?
Part 3: Which character in the story do you feel would have disagreed with Derfel's interpretation the most and why? Use at least two examples from the story to back up your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses the technique of foreshadowing at several points in the story.
Part 1: Define foreshadowing.
Part 2: Explain, in detail, two examples of how foreshadowing was used in the story.
Part 3: Do you feel that the two examples of foreshadowing that you listed were useful in the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Nimue is a major character in the story. Answer the following questions about her.
1. What is Nimue's relationship to Derfel?
2. What is Nimue's relationship to Merlin?
3. What are the first two of three wounds/problems that Nimue encounters that she thinks will make her more powerful and when does she acquire them.
4. Do you feel that Nimue is insane at any points in the story? If not, why not? If so, at what point or points? Use examples from the book to back up your answers.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)