|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ____ is the type of miners that Cadwy plans to attack.
2. ____ is the name of the person that the monk scribes stories about.
3. Nimue and Derfel lie together in the dreadful ____.
4. Guinevere comes close to treason by telling Derfel that Isis determines who sits on ____.
5. Guinevere demands ____ as a wedding gift.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the opening of the novel.
2. Explain how Arthur winds up killing Owain.
3. Describe the character of Derfel and his role as the novel opens..
4. How does Uther react to Arthur's name being brought up at the council meeting, in terms of being Uther's successor?
5. Who is Nimue according to the description in the first part of the book?
6. Explaina Arthur's role in Dumnonia as he prepares to leave to winter in Corinium.
7. Describe the baby that is born at the start of the novel.
8. Explain why Uther holds the first High Council in Britain in sixty years.
9. Explain how Guinevere's discussion with Derfel about her feelings for Gorfyddyd upset Derfel and how Derfel handles the situation.
10. Why does Derfel understand, and even respect, Arthur's plan to elope?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose any one of the following 5 characters and describe one example, in detail, of how they played a major role in the story. Also, explain whether or not you agree with their actions at that point in the story and why. If not, what would you have done differently?
Essay Topic 2
Arthur essentially takes Derfel under his wing when Derfel is a boy.
Part 1: Do you thinkt hat Arthur took an immediate liking to Derfel because the two of them were so much alike, or do you think that Arthur shaped Derfel to be a bit like him later on in the story? Use at least two examples to back up your answer.
Part 2: Derfel views Arthur as a cross between a father figure and a God at various points. Do you think that Derfel is right about Arthur or do you think that Arthur has a bad side that Derfel is somehow not noticing? Use at least two examples from the story to back up your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal is a major theme in the book. List three detailed examples of where betrayal comes into play in the story. Then, based on your answers and your other knowledge of the book, explain which character you feel betrayed other characters the most in the book. Do you feel that those acts of betrayal were justified in any way? Why or why not?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)