|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ____ is the lover of Ladwys.
2. Sagramor initiates Derfel into the service of Mithras who is the Roman God for ____.
3. Guinevere comes close to treason by telling Derfel that Isis determines who sits on ____.
4. As Arthur interrogates Sarlinna, she describes Owain's ____.
5. ____ is assigned to take Norwenna and the baby to Christian Durnovaria.
Short Essay Questions
1. What's the difference between the story that Derfel is telling and the one that the Queen wants to hear and what does that say about the interpretation of events?
2. Describe the opening of the novel.
3. Explain how the meeting between Gorfyddyd, Cuneglas and Arthur gives further detail tot he marriage plan that Arthur has and how, in general, marriages seem to be used in Arthur's time.
4. Explain the consequences of Arthur marrying Guinevere.
5. Explain the ceremonial process of baby Mordred becoming king.
6. Describe the character of Derfel and his role as the novel opens..
7. Explain why Arthur plans to marry Ceinwyn and whether or not you agree with that decision.
8. How does Uther react to Arthur's name being brought up at the council meeting, in terms of being Uther's successor?
9. Why does Derfel understand, and even respect, Arthur's plan to elope?
10. Explain how Arthur treats Gundleus and your opinions of it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Inner conflict is a major problem for certain characters in the story. For example, Derfel feels conflicted about his knowledge of the tin miners incident. Arthur feels conflicted about his marriage to Ceinwyn and later, about having to trade innocent lives for help in the larger battle.
Part 1: Explain two other examples of characters with inner conflicts in the book.
Part 2: Do you agree with how those inner conflicts are resolved? Why or why not? If not, what would you do differently?
Part 3: In what ways did those inner conflicts create exterior conflicts? For example, in the case of Arthur being conflicted over marriage, it sparked an entire war.
Essay Topic 2
Choose the character that you feel changed the most, as the story progressed, and answer the following questions about them:
1. What were they like in the beginning of the story?
2. What were they like at the end of the story?
3. When and why do you think the transition took place?
4. Do you feel that it was a good transition? Use at least two examples from the story to explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Love versus honor is a key theme in the novel. For example, Arthur promised to marry Ceinwyn and then did a dishonorable thing by eloping with Guinevere, but he did so because he was following his heart.
Part 1: Do you feel that Arthur was right to marry Guinevere? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think that Derfel agreed with Arthur's decision to marry Guinevere when most people viewed it as dishonorable?
Part 3: Is there another way in which Arthur could have married Guinevere and still kept peace with Gorfyddyd? What could he have tried, rather than eloping?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)