|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ____ is the thing of Merlin's that Arthur orders the rebuilding of.
2. Lancelot is insulted that Arthur has sent a mere ____ to defend Ynys Trebes.
3. ____ is the thing that Morgan is training children to become.
4. Derfel earns the title Cadarn, which means the ____.
5. Arthur plans to elope with ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Derfel's inner conflict when Tristan arrives demanding justice for the tin miners.
2. Why does Arthur ask Derfel to check on Guinevere?
3. Explain why Uther holds the first High Council in Britain in sixty years.
4. Explain how the meeting between Gorfyddyd, Cuneglas and Arthur gives further detail tot he marriage plan that Arthur has and how, in general, marriages seem to be used in Arthur's time.
5. Explain the evil acts that Gundelus does involving Norwenna and Nimue.
6. Explain how Arthur uses bribery to get what he wants, but it backfires, in relation to Powys and Siluria. What does that say about bribery in general.
7. Explain how Derfel's initiation mirrors modern-day practices.
8. Do you think that it was right for the babies to be switched before Gundleus arrived?
9. In general, what sort of attitude does Arthur seem to have up to this point in the story?
10. Explain the High Council's attitude toward what is going on with Arthur and Mordred as they hold their meeting.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the major themes of the book is religion.
Part 1: Explain how religion fuels war in the novel.
Part 2: Choose any time in the character when religious lines seem blurred and describe it.
Part 3: Derfel goes through a religious transformation, as the story progresses. Describe what religion he starts out a member of, what religion he winds up a member of and why you feel that transformation took place. Do you feel that it was a good transformation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are many male characters in positions of power in the novel. Choose any two from the following list and compare and contrast them to each other by writing lists of each character's traits or how they acted in certain situations. Write about two of your favorite characters and why based on that information.
Essay Topic 3
Choose any one of the following 5 characters and describe one example, in detail, of how they played a major role in the story. Also, explain whether or not you agree with their actions at that point in the story and why. If not, what would you have done differently?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)