|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many lottery winners does LuAnn research at the library?
2. What is the false name given to LuAnn when she arrives in New York?
3. How old is LuAnn's daughter at the beginning of the book?
4. What is Matt's reaction to LuAnn's actions toward him after the car chase?
5. According to the author who is researching the lottery system, what is the ratio of lottery winners who ultimately declare bankruptcy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jackson worried that LuAnn has put his lottery operation in danger after discovering she has returned to the U.S.?
2. What is the nature of Lisa's outburst after LuAnn suggests they may have to move again after arriving in Charlottesville?
3. What is the nature of detective Hank Rollins' questions to Alicia Crane?
4. How is LuAnn's interaction with Matt Riggs described just after he helps her escape a car chase with Thomas Donovan?
5. How is Thomas Donovan's relationship with Alicia Crane first described in the book?
6. What does LuAnn do to the red-haired woman she catches her boyfriend Duane in bed with?
7. What does LuAnn learn about her past when she finally meets with Thomas Donovan?
8. How is Jackson's ability to disguise himself first witnessed by LuAnn?
9. How are Charlie's feelings towards LuAnn described when he watches her accept her lottery winnings from the crowd?
10. How is George Masters' investigation of LuAnn described?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the portrayal of father-son relationships in the book. What is telling of the importance of having a healthy relationship between father and son based on the portrayal of Jackson and his father?
Essay Topic 2
Investigation plays a starring role in many parts of the book.
Part 1.) What evidence is given through Thomas Donovan's investigation of the lottery scheme?
Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of characters like LuAnn and Charlie based on their investigations against others in the book?
Part 3.) What is telling of Matt's nature, based on his investigation of LuAnn in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's portrayal of law enforcement in the book. How does the author suggest that law enforcement has flaws and is not always the best judge of character, based on George Masters' portrayal in the book?
This section contains 1,562 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)