|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does LuAnn go on the day Jackson expects an answer from her about participating in his lottery scheme?
2. When throwing the woman she caught Duane in bed with outside, what room does LuAnn put Lisa's car seat in?
3. What kind of backgrounds does LuAnn notice all the past lottery winners had in common?
4. What does the community of Charlottesville give LuAnn plenty of after accepting that she is just quiet?
5. As LuAnn is throwing the other woman out of the house, what does LuAnn grab the woman by?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does LuAnn do to Duane after discovering him in bed with another woman?
2. How does Jackson find out that LuAnn has returned to the U.S.?
3. Why is Jackson worried that LuAnn has put his lottery operation in danger after discovering she has returned to the U.S.?
4. How is Jackson described the first time he is seen in the book?
5. How did Charlie help make arrangements for LuAnn to return to the U.S. after being away 10 years?
6. How does Jackson attempt to create the appearance of a legitimate office when meeting with LuAnn for the first time?
7. How is Thomas Donovan's relationship with Alicia Crane first described in the book?
8. How is LuAnn described just after her car chase with Thomas Donovan?
9. What does LuAnn do to the red-haired woman she catches her boyfriend Duane in bed with?
10. How is Charlie's creation of relationships in the Charlottesville community first described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the portrayal of father-son relationships in the book. What is telling of the importance of having a healthy relationship between father and son based on the portrayal of Jackson and his father?
Essay Topic 2
Investigation plays a starring role in many parts of the book.
Part 1.) What evidence is given through Thomas Donovan's investigation of the lottery scheme?
Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of characters like LuAnn and Charlie based on their investigations against others in the book?
Part 3.) What is telling of Matt's nature, based on his investigation of LuAnn in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of wealth in the book. What evidence is present in the book to suggest that being wealthy is not always a positive thing?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)