|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name that LuAnn goes by after moving to Virginia?
2. What does Jackson believe after seeing that someone has put out an alert on the falsified IRS forms he made for LuAnn?
3. Who does Thomas Donovan phone to learn more about LuAnn's murder warrant when investigating her for his story?
4. What does LuAnn have the fear of every day after winning the lottery?
5. What does Charlie's real estate agent tell him that Matt was once associated with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Romanello blackmail LuAnn in the book?
2. How is Thomas Donovan's investigation of the national lottery first described in the book?
3. How does Jackson find out that LuAnn has returned to the U.S.?
4. What does LuAnn do to Duane after discovering him in bed with another woman?
5. How is LuAnn's interaction with Jackson described when she gets into a limousine with him after accepting her lottery winnings?
6. What is Charlie's first impression of LuAnn?
7. How is LuAnn's one family heirloom described?
8. How are LuAnn's contributions to Charlottesville society first described in the book?
9. How is Thomas Donovan's relationship with Alicia Crane first described in the book?
10. How is Charlie's creation of relationships in the Charlottesville community first described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of survival presented in the book. What does it take to be a true survivor, according to LuAnn's plight in the book? Are there certain characteristics that need to be present or is it a specific mindset that is needed?
Essay Topic 2
Investigation plays a starring role in many parts of the book.
Part 1.) What evidence is given through Thomas Donovan's investigation of the lottery scheme?
Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of characters like LuAnn and Charlie based on their investigations against others in the book?
Part 3.) What is telling of Matt's nature, based on his investigation of LuAnn in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of safety portrayed in the book. What methods did the author use to create a sense of safety for LuAnn in the book, namely with characters like Charlie and Matt?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)