|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 22 when Milly refers to her illness, how easy does she say she’ll be?
2. In Chapter 30, what does Merton do after leaving Milly?
3. How long does Strett recommend that Milly leave and then return to London?
4. What writer is mentioned at the end of Chapter 19?
5. In Chapter 33, how long has Merton been back in London?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Merton asks Eugenio why the ladies are not receiving guests, what does Eugenio tell him?
2. In Chapter 30, what does Merton do after visiting Milly?
3. Why is Lionel Croy staying with Marian?
4. What did Sir Strett tell Susan about Milly’s illness?
5. In Chapter 28, why doesn’t Milly come down to dinner?
6. In Chapter 19, what does Kate ask Merton to do?
7. Who are some of the guests at Milly’s party in Chapter 28?
8. Why had Kate and Merton decided to meet at the National Gallery on the day they saw Milly?
9. Why was Sir Mark with Maud earlier Christmas Day?
10. Who is Eugenio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kate’s father seems to have a superficial relationship with her. Why did Kate volunteer to care for her father? Was she more concerned about his welfare or her own when she made that offer? Why wasn’t her father around for much of her growing up years? How does Kate feel about her father’s absence? Why doesn’t Lionel want Kate to stay with him and care for him? Is he concerned about his welfare or hers? What type of relationship do the two have?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 12, Milly learns that her illness is terminal. Is Milly surprised by this diagnosis? Does she react positively or negatively to the news? What has prepared her to accept her condition? How does she decide to spend the rest of her life?
Essay Topic 3
Maud and Milly are both wealthy women. How does Maud use her money? How does Milly use hers? What is the difference between the ways the two use their wealth? Which woman is more controlling because of her wealth? Which woman is more altruistic?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)