|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 22 when Milly refers to her illness, how easy does she say she’ll be?
2. In Chapter 22, what does Milly figuratively reach for when she faces Susan after luncheon?
3. In Chapter 30, what does Merton do after leaving Milly?
4. What is the reason that Merton gives Milly for staying behind after Maud and Kate leave?
5. In Chapter 17 when Kate meets Merton’s train, what time does she have to be at Lancaster Gate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are some of the guests at Milly’s party in Chapter 28?
2. What does Kate think Merton’s note from Milly says?
3. Why does Susan come alone to dinner in Chapter 19?
4. Why does Merton go to see Kate on Christmas Day?
5. Why does Merton decide to change his lodgings in Venice?
6. What do Susan and Maud discuss in Chapter 22?
7. In Chapter 30, what does Merton do after visiting Milly?
8. Where does Kate meet Merton when he first gets back from America?
9. What is Densher’s routine the first eight days he is in Venice?
10. At the beginning of Chapter 29, what is Merton thinking of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 26, Merton wishes he hadn’t come to Venice. What about his living arrangements make Merton discontented in Venice? Why does he feel he was “summoned” to Venice? Why does he feel like a puppet? How is he spending most of his time? Why does he regret coming?
Essay Topic 2
Lord Mark seems desperate to improve his financial situation. How does marriage figure into Lord Mark’s plans to improve his finances? Who does he consider marrying first? Who does he think of marrying when that doesn’t work out? What does he do when Milly isn’t interested in his proposal? What is he reduced to doing to improve his financial situation?
Essay Topic 3
By the end of Book 6, both Maud and Kate urge Merton to pursue Milly. Why does Kate want Merton to romance Milly? What will Kate gain from the arrangement? Why does Maud want Merton to pursue Milly? What will she gain? Are the women’s motives altruistic or selfish?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)