|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 27, where are the others while Kate and Merton talk?
2. How many times did Merton see Milly in New York?
3. In Chapter 27, where are Kate and Merton talking?
4. Who will be the guest of honor at a party in Chapter 28?
5. When does Strett plan to see Milly again after she leaves London?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Merton decide to change his lodgings in Venice?
2. In Chapter 30, how many days does Merton visit the palace before he is turned away by one of the gondoliers?
3. What does Kate think Merton’s note from Milly says?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 29, what is Merton thinking of?
5. Why does Susan come alone to dinner in Chapter 19?
6. Why is Lionel Croy staying with Marian?
7. How does Maud couch her invitation to dinner in Chapter 19?
8. According to Kate, what was the reason for Lord Mark’s short visit to Venice?
9. Why had Kate and Merton decided to meet at the National Gallery on the day they saw Milly?
10. What do Susan and Maud discuss in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Merton goes to American on an assignment for the newspaper. How long after his chat with Maud about Kate does Merton get the offer to go to America? Is that coincidental? What does Kate say about the offer? Why does Merton accept the assignment?
Essay Topic 2
The title of the novel is a reference to Milly and her dove-like qualities. In what way did Milly spread wings around or over those who were her friends? What adjectives describe Milly’s dove-like characteristics? How was Milly’s care for her friends dove-like?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 22, Sir Street discusses Milly’s illness with Susan. Why isn’t Milly present during the discussion? How does Susan feel when she learns that Milly is dying? What does she determine to do once she knows how sick Milly is? To whom is all of Susan’s concern directed when she learns about Milly’s condition?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)