|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Merton go to university?
2. How did Kate’s other brother die?
3. In Chapter 8, what is Susan’s word to describe Maud?
4. How old is the magazine in the room where Kate waits in Chapter 1?
5. How many years had Susan spent in Switzerland as a girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Milly describe a Bishop at a dinner party in Chapter 7?
2. How did Milly and Susan travel to Europe?
3. In Chapter 10, what does Maud ask of Milly?
4. By Chapter 7, where are Milly and Susan dining?
5. Why does Milly describe Maud as an idealist in Chapter 7?
6. Why did Susan have to rush to New York ten days before her and Milly’s voyage to Europe began?
7. What Does Susan do for a living?
8. What are Lord Mark’s politics?
9. In Chapter 10, how does Milly describe the terrace and garden of the historic house where there is a party?
10. When Milly and Susan wanted to go to Switzerland off-season, what were they told?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 12, Milly learns that her illness is terminal. Is Milly surprised by this diagnosis? Does she react positively or negatively to the news? What has prepared her to accept her condition? How does she decide to spend the rest of her life?
Essay Topic 2
Merton has a number of assets, but not the type that please Maud. What are Merton’s physical assets? Would his education be an asset? Is his character an asset or a liability? What does Maud consider some of his liabilities?
Essay Topic 3
Susan encourages Merton to pursue Milly romantically. Why does Susan encourage Merton? Does she have anything to gain if Merton marries Milly? What are her motives for encouraging him? What does she think Milly will gain if she marries Merton?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)