|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Milly?
2. In Chapter 7, how many dinner guests sit between Milly and Lord Mark?
3. In Chapter 9, at what time might Milly be as detached as an occasion required?
4. In Chapter 8, of what type of character does Milly think when she is thinking of Kate?
5. What magazine does Susan think of reading in Chapter 8 as she thinks about Kate?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 10, what does Maud ask of Milly?
2. Why does Milly describe Maud as an idealist in Chapter 7?
3. When Milly and Susan wanted to go to Switzerland off-season, what were they told?
4. How does Milly describe a Bishop at a dinner party in Chapter 7?
5. Why does Kate bring Lord and Lady Aldershaw into the house in Chapter 11?
6. Why did Kate’s father ask her to come to his quarters in Book 1?
7. What Does Susan do for a living?
8. In Chapter 12, why does Milly have to make another doctor’s appointment for a few days away?
9. When did Kate learn that her father had done something wicked?
10. How did Kate used to view Marian before her marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Merton goes to American on an assignment for the newspaper. How long after his chat with Maud about Kate does Merton get the offer to go to America? Is that coincidental? What does Kate say about the offer? Why does Merton accept the assignment?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 22, Sir Street discusses Milly’s illness with Susan. Why isn’t Milly present during the discussion? How does Susan feel when she learns that Milly is dying? What does she determine to do once she knows how sick Milly is? To whom is all of Susan’s concern directed when she learns about Milly’s condition?
Essay Topic 3
James uses flat characters in the novel to support and set the stage for the main characters. Who are some of the supporting characters? How do they set the stage for the main characters? How do they advance the plot?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)