|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age did Merton begin writing?
2. In Chapter 11, where has Lord Mark seen a picture that looks like Milly?
3. In Chapter 7, what member of the clergy is at Maud’s dinner party?
4. How many children does Kate’s sister Marian have?
5. How does Kate feel about Susan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Marian marry?
2. How did Kate and Merton meet?
3. What are Lord Mark’s politics?
4. How was Kate’s mother’s estate divided up?
5. How did Milly and Susan travel to Europe?
6. When Milly and Susan wanted to go to Switzerland off-season, what were they told?
7. What does Marian Condrip tell Milly about Merton Densher?
8. Why did Kate’s father ask her to come to his quarters in Book 1?
9. What does Kate look like?
10. What does Susan believe made her a woman of the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Merton goes to American on an assignment for the newspaper. How long after his chat with Maud about Kate does Merton get the offer to go to America? Is that coincidental? What does Kate say about the offer? Why does Merton accept the assignment?
Essay Topic 2
Maud and Milly are both wealthy women. How does Maud use her money? How does Milly use hers? What is the difference between the ways the two use their wealth? Which woman is more controlling because of her wealth? Which woman is more altruistic?
Essay Topic 3
Merton has a number of assets, but not the type that please Maud. What are Merton’s physical assets? Would his education be an asset? Is his character an asset or a liability? What does Maud consider some of his liabilities?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)