|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the dinner party in Chapter 7, how does Milly describe Maud to Lord Mark?
2. In Chapter 8, on what street does Milly seem to find everything rustling about?
3. In Chapter 8, of what type of character does Milly think when she is thinking of Kate?
4. What color are Kate’s eyes?
5. In Chapter 9, where do Kate and Milly go to see the quarter of the famous Carlyle and residence of Marian?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Susan have to rush to New York ten days before her and Milly’s voyage to Europe began?
2. What Does Susan do for a living?
3. What does Kate look like?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what does Lord Mark wish to show Milly?
5. What opportunity is Merton given in Chapter 4?
6. How was Kate’s mother’s estate divided up?
7. How did Milly invite Susan to travel with her?
8. In Chapter 12, why does Milly have to make another doctor’s appointment for a few days away?
9. In Chapter 11, what does Milly ask Kate to do?
10. Why does Milly describe Maud as an idealist in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel, Kate states that Merton was in love with Milly. When does Kate believe that Merton loved Milly? Does she believe that he still loves Milly? Does Merton seem to be vague about his feelings for Milly? Does Merton seem to be in love with Milly’s memory?
Essay Topic 2
By the end of Book 6, both Maud and Kate urge Merton to pursue Milly. Why does Kate want Merton to romance Milly? What will Kate gain from the arrangement? Why does Maud want Merton to pursue Milly? What will she gain? Are the women’s motives altruistic or selfish?
Essay Topic 3
The title of the novel is a reference to Milly and her dove-like qualities. In what way did Milly spread wings around or over those who were her friends? What adjectives describe Milly’s dove-like characteristics? How was Milly’s care for her friends dove-like?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)