|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times did Merton see Milly in New York?
2. In Chapter 35, what direction does Merton walk after talking with Maud?
3. In Chapter 30, who comes from the palace to see Merton at is lodging?
4. Where does Kate say good-bye to Merton at the end of Chapter 18?
(a) Top of the stairs.
(b) Front door.
(d) Main hall.
5. In Chapter 17, after the luncheon with Milly and Susan, what do Kate and Merton do?
(a) Merton accompanies Kate home.
(b) Aimlessly walk.
(c) Go to Kensington Gardens.
(d) Say good-bye.
6. In Chapter 26, where does Merton cross to make arrangement for new living quarters?
(a) Bridge of Sighs.
(c) Ponte Tron.
(d) Ponte Minich.
7. Who does Sir Strett remind Susie of?
(a) Dr. Andrews of Boston.
(b) Dr. Williams of New York.
(c) Dr. Peterson of New York.
(d) Dr. Buttrick of Boston.
8. In the beginning of Chapter 20, what do the guests and hosts do after dinner?
(a) The men play billiards; the women have tea.
(b) Go upstairs for coffee and comic songs.
(c) Have dessert in the library.
(d) Walk in the gardens.
9. What is the reason that Merton gives Milly for staying behind after Maud and Kate leave?
(a) Writing a book.
(b) Waiting for letters.
(c) Waiting for orders from Fleet Street.
(d) Waiting for money.
10. In Chapter 17, from where did Merton wire Kate?
11. In Chapter 19, why does Merton think the social herd might have flocked to Milly?
(a) No one more popular.
(b) No one could compete with her.
(c) No larger presence.
(d) No larger lion.
12. What is the name of the palace where Milly is staying in Chapter 24?
13. In Chapter 24, to what type of play are Kate and Millie and their behavior compared to?
14. When does Merton arrive for dinner in Chapter 19?
(a) 10 minutes early.
(b) 10 minutes late.
(c) 10 minutes early.
(d) 5 minutes early.
15. How long was Densher in America?
(a) 3 months.
(b) 12 weeks.
(c) 4 months.
(d) 15 weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. How soon after the visit to the National Gallery were Susan and Milly to leave?
2. In Chapter 30, what does Merton do at a café?
3. When Milly leaves London, where will she go first?
4. What time did Kate ask Merton to come in Chapter 34?
5. In Chapter 34, what color are the chairs where Merton has tea with Maud?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)