Book 1: Chapters 1-2
• Kate, a beautiful young woman, visits her father, who has led a dissolute life and is now ill.
• Kate’s mother and two brothers have died; her sister Marion is a widow with limited resources and four children.
• Kate’s wealthy Aunt Maud has taken an interest in her, and she is the only member of her family who seems to have a future.
• Kate offers to come live with her father and care for him, but he angrily tells her to stay with her aunt.
• By staying with her aunt, Kate will gain status and be able to marry well.
• Kate has been living with her aunt since her mother died.
• Even though Maud is overbearing and controlling, Kate enjoys the lifestyle she has at her aunt’s home.
• Kate loves a young man named Merton Densher, but he has no prospects and her...
This section contains 2,287 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)